Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 02:41 PM        Another reason I think Torture is bad
It would be one thing if the people who were responsible for getting WOT suspects tortured were perfect. Then I might understand the pro torture argument. Not agree with, mind you. Just understand.

But no one is going to be a perfect torture administrator. And these guys? Lets just say if you woudn't trust someone to walk your dog, they shouldn't be in charge of who gets sent to a Syrian Prison. And don't give me any of that "Oh, Syria assured us they wouldn't torture" shit, cause if they're so trustworthy how come W is always rattling his saber at them?

Torture Victim Had No Terror Link, Canada Told US
By Scott Shane
The New York Times

Monday 25 September 2006

Washington - When the United States sent Maher Arar to Syria, where he was tortured for months, the deportation order stated unequivocally that Mr. Arar, a Canadian software engineer, was a member of Al Qaeda. But a few days earlier, Canadian investigators had told the F.B.I. that they had not been able to link him to the terrorist group.

That is one of the disclosures in the 1,200-page report released last week after a two-year Canadian investigation of Mr. Arar's case found him to be innocent of any terrorist ties. The report urges the Canadian government to formally protest the American treatment of Mr. Arar, a recommendation Canadian officials are considering.

Mr. Arar, 37, who now lives in British Columbia, has a lawsuit against United States officials and agencies that is on appeal, and he has demanded an explanation for his treatment from the Bush administration.

A close reading of the Arar Commission report offers a rare window on American actions in the case, describing seemingly flimsy evidence behind the American decision in 2002 to send Mr. Arar to a country notorious for torture; a deliberate attempt by American officials to deceive Canada about where Mr. Arar was; and lingering confusion among top American officials about the two countries' roles in the case.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM       
Arar's case was a pretty big story back when it was going on. We surely screwed up our part in that, and I'm really glad he's back in Canada safe. He should sue, and he should receive money for damages. We did not, however, send him off to Syria to be tortured. Our immigration people did everything they could do exactly wrong, which completely fucked this guy over.

His situation was deplorable mostly because it was so easily avoidable. Bureacracy, not anyone's policy on torture, was to blame.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM       
not only that bad but intel in the first place saying that he was a member of al queda.