Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:26 PM        Re: Bang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibecrewangel
Matter hasn't always existed.
Matter can be destroyed.
Energy on the other hand......
Isn't it all interconnected (Re: Theory of Relativity ... mass, energy. light)? Where did matter "come from" and where would it "go"? According to my understanding, matter may have been infinitely dense at one point ... but always present.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:39 PM        Re: Bang
Quote:
Matter hasn't always existed.
Matter can be destroyed.
Energy on the other hand......
Matter is energy (E=mc²).

Matter can also be thought of as energy concentrated at a location in space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
According to my understanding, matter may have been infinitely dense at one point ... but always present.
Indeed.

One of the most interesting theories is the Ekpyrotic scenario.

"But instead of a universe springing forth in a violent instant from an infinitely small point of infinite density, the new view argues that our universe was created when two parallel "membranes" collided cataclysmically after evolving slowly in five-dimensional space over an exceedingly long period of time.

These membranes, or "branes" as theorists call them, would have floated like sheets of paper through a fifth dimension that even scientists admit they find hard to picture intuitively. (Our conventional view of 3-D physical space, along with time, make up the four known dimensions.)"

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom..._010413-1.html
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:32 PM        Matter
Copy past from a couple of quantum physics and Buddhist sources.

Quantum Physics is at the cutting edge of Western science and goes beyond Einstein's Theory of Relativity. The interesting thing about quantum physics is that the original impetus giving rise to it, namely the pursuit of the elemental building blocks of the Universe (separate elementary particles), has become meaningless with the discovery that the Universe would appear to be an undivided whole that is in perpetual dynamic flux. Like Einstein's Theory of Relativity, Quantum Physics suggests that matter is just a form of energy (i.e. matter could be considered as 'slowed down' energy) and that like energy, it does not exist with certainty in definite places, but rather shows 'tendencies' to exist. Even more intriguing is the notion that the existence of an observer is fundamental to the existence of the Universe, known as The Observer Effect, implying that the Universe is a product of consciousness. (i.e. the Mind of God) 1

As American physicist, Barbara Brennan, states in her book 'The Hands of Light':

"Through experiments over the past few decades physicists have discovered matter to be completely mutable into other particles or energy and vice-versa and on a subatomic level, matter does not exist with certainty in definite places, but rather shows 'tendencies' to exist. Quantum physics is beginning to realise that the Universe appears to be a dynamic web of interconnected and inseparable energy patterns. If the universe is indeed composed of such a web, there is logically no such thing as a part. This implies we are not separated parts of a whole but rather we are the Whole." 2

[/quote]
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:53 PM        Matter
Quote:
m = mass

Mass is measurement of how much matter something contains. This measurement differs based on where in space you take the measurment.

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 02:34 PM        Re: Matter
Quote:
Quote:
m = mass

Mass is measurement of how much matter something contains. This measurement differs based on where in space you take the measurment.
Where in space is completely irrelevant. If applying it to matter it can never be zero, unless you are at absolute zero.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 02:57 PM        Matter
Not when you take mass-energy conservation into account.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 09:16 PM       
Quote:
Besides, that perception is reality statement is true for the lemmings, but not for us who can sort through the bullshit. Reality is reality, you can't change it.
Obviously, you aren't comprehending the depth of what I'm telling you.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 09:52 AM       
'Reality' an undefined term Vinth uses in place of whatever he thinks at any given moment, may or may not be subjective. |As the only instrument we have to measure and test it is the human brain, a HIGHLY subjective instrument, we have no way of making a final judgement on the veracity of reality.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:31 AM       
I thought God and Creation were based on faith, not science. God wants people to have faith in him, not in earthly explanations.

I am a better Christian than you, Vince.

And there were/are scientists that back up Creationism, hasn't anybody heard of the 'notorious' "monkey trial" of 1925?

"Insects might be more intelligent than humans, although "they’re not letting on…because things are going so well for them."

Priceless.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:36 AM       
You know the monkey trial was a sham, correct?

I know you have only watched Inherit The Wind and think you know all about what happened, but I have seen numerous papers on the subject.
Mocker

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:52 AM        Re: Matter
Quote:
Not when you take mass-energy conservation into account.
It sounded as if earlier your were alluding to an offshoot of "The Heisenberg Principle" (re: Matter being relative to the observer). For all pragmatic purposes, though, with no world there is no existence and, consequently, no observer ... and vice versa. Theory is great but what practical purpose is it to me when my matrix of understanding is within a 4-D world? I mean, I might as well buy into Bishop Berkely's contention that my mind creates my world ... and I can't abide by that 'cause I'm not THAT smart .

Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:52 AM       
This is all I know:
A teacher called John Scopes was found guilty of teaching the theory of evolution, in contravention of the laws of the state of Tennessee. The trial actually upheld the state’s anti-evolution laws, which were not abolished until 1968, when the US Supreme Court ruled that the teaching of creation theories was a violation of the constitutional ban on the teaching of religion in state schools. Since then, the creationists changed their tactics, trying to turn creationism into a "science." In this, they have the support, not only of a wide layer of public opinion, but of not a few scientists, who are prepared to place their services at the disposal of religion in its most crude and obscurantist form.

Enlighten me further. I am not being sarcstic.

I merely wanted to point out the relation of science to faith and Creationism.

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:57 AM       
The best source of information you can gather is from the book "Tornado In A Junkyard". There is a chapter on the trial and also on the movie that has great reference notes and also great commentary. There are many other great resources, but that is the one that combines everything into one nice little bundle.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:15 AM       

Moe called. He wants his haircut back.

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:21 AM       
I applaud your ability to do research by yourself.

Who knows, maybe in a year or so you be able to think for yourself.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:21 AM       
Hold on, I'll just rush down to the bookstore and get it.
Mocker

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:25 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov
Hold on, I'll just rush down to the bookstore and get it.
The bookstore doesn't give haircuts, silly.

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:26 AM       
I gotta say it really stings that lil Vinthy Cut n' paste says I can't think for myself.

I think it was pretty bold of you to say that without it even appearing on www.boortzsycophant.com.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:17 PM        Bleh
Quote:
It sounded as if earlier your were alluding to an offshoot of "The Heisenberg Principle" (re: Matter being relative to the observer). For all pragmatic purposes, though, with no world there is no existence and, consequently, no observer ... and vice versa. Theory is great but what practical purpose is it to me when my matrix of understanding is within a 4-D world? I mean, I might as well buy into Bishop Berkely's contention that my mind creates my world ... and I can't abide by that 'cause I'm not THAT smart .
I hate it when I somehow completely miss a good post.....

I'll give you my brief summation minus all the technical/philosophical jargon then led me here. :D

All there is is substance X.
Substance X can't be weighed, measured or quantified in any way.
Substance X is infinite. This means there is no space, no time, no matter, no particals......just substance X.
Substance X is infinite possibilities.
Existance as we know it is one possibility in a set of infinte possibilities. Sort of like a big cosmic choose your own adventure book. A matrix of things that could happen linkind to other things that could happen.
But in the begining there is nothing but a singularity. A singularity of possibilities. Once a single possibility begins to exists there is no longer a singularity and the matrix of possibilities begins for lack of a better term movement.
Unfortunately, human conciousness is not designed to grasp the concept of an infinite singularity. It goes completely against our view of space and time. But, if you can let go of that preconception.....you may end up in thereapy like I did.

One of my favorite things to ponder is

Infinite monkies with Infinite typerwriters over Infinite time could produce the complete works of Shakespere.

This is true. If you don't think it is then you do not understand infinite.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:28 PM        Oh
My purpose for trying to sort this out......

I love the search.....I love the question....I love the possibilities. The answer means less to me then the question. The destination less than the journey. To me, once you find the answer there is nothing left. That is why I find those who say they have the answer, be it God or Science or Sex or Love, somewhat depressing because they have stopped searching. To me they have lost the passion, the drive to exist beyond some point.
Do I think that is wrong? Not in the slightest. It is just wrong for me.

Someday I hope to be able to grasp that I am the singularity. I am all the possibilities. I hope to be able to let go of my view that I am a part of something or that I am an individual within something and actually understand that I, that everyone and everything is that something.

Yeah yeah I know......crazy Buddhist babble.....