Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 10:19 PM        You...You...YOU SICK FUCK!
http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/02/26/cr...ses/index.html
Crematory operator faces 100 new counts
Judge sets bond for Marsh
February 27, 2002 Posted: 7:28 AM EST (1228 GMT)
LAFAYETTE, Georgia (CNN) -- Authorities Tuesday charged Ray Brent Marsh, the crematory operator accused of dumping bodies on his northwest Georgia property, with 100 new counts of theft by deception, court officials said.

Marsh, 28, was charged with two counts for each of 50 bodies that have been identified since his arrest -- one accusing him of taking money for cremations that were not performed and another accusing him of giving fake remains back to the families.

Marsh already was being held in the Walker County Jail on 16 counts of theft by deception -- one count for each of the bodies found when he was previously charged.

Walker County Chief Magistrate Judge William J. Day set a $100,000 bond for Marsh on Tuesday, ruling he was not a flight risk, or a threat to the community and was unlikely to commit additional felonies or try to intimidate witnesses in the case.

The Walker County Sheriff's Department said Marsh had not yet posted bail, and remains in custody.

Concerned families can contact the Georgia Emergency Management Agency
1-888-887-1845
http://www.gema.state.ga.us/

Search teams excavating the grounds of Tri-State Crematory have recovered 339 bodies, according to the Georgia Emergency Management Agency. Of those, 74 have been identified and 43 have been returned to their families.

Many of those bodies -- some dating back as long as three years ago -- were identified by toe tags or by hospital wristbands still on them.

Veteran investigators have described the 16-acre site as one of the most gruesome they have ever seen, with the bodies disposed of on the property with no regard to the dead -- some stacked 10 high in buildings, others left unburied in the woods and at least one still in the back of a broken-down hearse.

Residents had paid to fish in Marsh's lake
Authorities plan to drain a lake on the property where they fear the crematory operator may have dumped even more bodies. They performed environmental tests Monday to make sure it is safe.

"We've got to determine all of the ramifications of draining the lake before we do it," an official with the Georgia Emergency Management Agency told CNN.

The lake empties into a reservoir that is used for drinking water. Preliminary tests have shown no dangerous bacteria in the reservoir.

A detailed report on the lake and the environmental impact of it is expected Wednesday, sources familiar with the investigation said.

According to neighbors, Marsh used to charge people a small fee to fish in the lake, but in recent years stopped allowing anyone to fish there. One neighbor said Marsh became impatient with people who entered the property to fish, often yelling at them.

Thirty funeral homes in Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee had sent bodies to the crematory, Walker County Coroner Dewayne Wilson said. The state board of funeral directors asked families who used those funeral homes to ask whether their loved ones' bodies had been taken to the crematory.

Legal experts said the facility escaped state regulation because it did not do business directly with the public, but worked through funeral homes instead.

More than 500 people with 43 different government agencies -- state, local and federal -- are working on the clean-up, which could last more than eight months, authorities have said.

-- CNN Correspondent Art Harris contributed to this report.

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 10:28 PM       
I guess you where not around when we discussed this before.

Yeah, what a fucking hosebag.
Mocker
Mike is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 11:10 PM       
This is why my family and I insisted on witnessing the cremation of my grandfather's body.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 11:44 PM       
I don't really see why it matters, though that Marsh guy really should have been the one paying the families for the bodie if all he was doing was stockpiling them for his own little Legion of the Damned.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 01:17 AM       
I don't understand. Did he have sex with the bodies, or did he just take their money or something? Shit, if he just wanted to make some money, he'd have done the same amount of work actually cremating them than he did by hiding them.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 03:01 AM       
We proved, almost conclusively, last time that he was making an army of zombies.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 03:46 AM       
You...You...YOU SICK FUCK!
The_voice_of_reason is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 03:49 AM       
I bet the bodies that aren't identified show up on ebay.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 09:25 PM       
You've obviously not read all of the eBay user agreement, lest you'd realize that sale of human body parts is forbidden. I've still seen real hair wigs for sale, and I've started quite a collection of glass eyes, but this clause initially caused a ruckus when people tried to sell first degree relics.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:14 AM       
House of the Dead
Mocker
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:49 AM       
That's what I thought too Ninjavenom, but I found out that it's actually very expensive. It takes about 5 hours to completely cremate a body and the amount of gas to keep the giant oven things going at an extremely high temperature for that long is costly, plus they have to hire a technician to operate the machine that grinds the remains (basically bone marrow) into the fine powder.

Apparently the first people doing this scam got busted because someone found out that the powder they got back was actually cement mix.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:16 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
This is why my family and I insisted on witnessing the cremation of my grandfather's body.
Yeah, a wonderful alternative.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:21 PM       
they have to hire a technician to operate the machine that grinds the remains (basically bone marrow)

Marrow is a spongy tissue, dude. The component that needs to be ground is the calcium structure of the bone.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:12 PM       
Yeah, you're right, come to think of it.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:38 AM       
Quote:
Apparently the first people doing this scam got busted because someone found out that the powder they got back was actually cement mix.
I would love to know how they found out. Did they taste it? Did they mix it with water? How many people know what human ashes look, feel and smeel like?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:54 AM       
Maybe it was the fact that someone's loved one ended up weighing more in ash form than in dead body form.
Mocker
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:12 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov
I would love to know how they found out.
This reminds me of that episode of South Park where Cartman thinks Kenny's ashes are hot coco mix and drinks them, but yeah, no kidding. The water idea could be true. A lot of people spread the ashes on lakes and ponds and stuff and if they were familiar with how cement mix reacts to water already, they'd be all like "gee that's kinda weird". Also there's a particular smell that cement mix has (is it the lime?) and that could be a giveaway.