Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:57 AM        Bolton is Toast
Vote delayed? Biden with powerful evidence (Bolton's own travel logs, among other things) That during testimony Bolton lied under oath, ie. Perjury?

The most interesting factor in this is that Bolton's appointment is a Chenney deal all the way. If the administration cuts it's loses and pulls Bolton, Chenney has a very public loss. It's tantamount to an admission of bad judgement on Chenney's part. If they stick with Bolton and even worse comes out (and since apparently nobody but Chenney likes Bolton, that seems likely) They could actualy lose a vote on him.

Interestinger and interestinger.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:25 AM       
I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM       
http://slate.msn.com/id/2117028/

Good article on the whole debacle.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:00 PM       
Colin Powell ain't the good soldier no more. He's making the rounds 'speaking' with Republican senators, and rumor has it it is not to offer his endorsement. Meanwhile, Condi basically issued a gag order at the state department forbidding all employees from speaking with the mdeia about Bolton. Someone really ought to tell her that's illegal.

Honestly, if I were a Republican and I was anything but virulently anti UN (and some are, and they're entitled) I'd vote against Bolton. This is the administration saying 'I want you folks to prove you're my bitches.' The nomination is a plain as day 'fuck you' and any senator whos goes with it solely on the basis of party loyalty is putting on a dog collar and pulling down their pants. I think Richie 'I can't vote against my party' Lugar looks pretty good that way.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:44 PM       
Bolton's British Problem
By Michael Hirsh
Newsweek

02 May 2005 Issue
Fresh complaints of bullying dog an embattled nominee.

Colin Powell plainly didn't like what he was hearing. At a meeting in London in November 2003, his counterpart, British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, was complaining to Powell about John Bolton, according to a former Bush administration official who was there. Straw told the then Secretary of State that Bolton, Powell's under secretary for arms control, was making it impossible to reach allied agreement on Iran's nuclear program. Powell turned to an aide and said, "Get a different view on [the Iranian problem]. Bolton is being too tough."

Unbeknownst to Bolton, the aide then interviewed experts in Bolton's own Nonproliferation Bureau. The issue was resolved, the former official told NEWSWEEK, only after Powell adopted softer language recommended by these experts on how and when Iran might be referred to the U.N. Security Council. But the terrified State experts were "adamant that we not let Bolton know we had talked to them," the official said.

The incident illustrates a key allegation that now bedevils Bolton's nomination to be America's next ambassador to the United Nations. Bolton's critics contend that he has consistently taken an extreme and uncompromising line on issues and that he has bullied subordinates and intel analysts who disagreed with him. President Bush last week stood by his embattled nominee, blaming "politics" for Bolton's difficult confirmation process. But it was members of the president's own party who were holding things up. After GOP Sen. George Voinovich of Ohio, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, unexpectedly blocked a vote last week, it was clear that Bolton's nomination was in trouble. Powell himself, in reported remarks to several senators, expressed worries about Bolton's temperament. Because the eight Democrats on the 18-person committee are solidly against Bolton, a single GOP defector could kill the nomination when it comes to a vote on May 12. The White House still believes that only a hard-liner like Bolton can reform the U.N.

But the London story is further evidence that Bolton and the White House have their work cut out for them. On several occasions, America's closest ally in the war on terror, Britain, was irked by what U.S. and British sources say were efforts by Bolton to undermine promising diplomatic openings. Perhaps the most dramatic instance took place early in the U.S.-British talks in 2003 to force Libya to surrender its nuclear program, NEWSWEEK has learned. The Libya deal succeeded only after British officials "at the highest level" persuaded the White House to keep Bolton off the negotiating team. A crucial issue, according to sources involved in the affair, was Muammar Kaddafi's demand that if Libya abandoned its WMD program, the U.S. in turn would drop its goal of regime change. But Bolton was unwilling to support this compromise. The White House agreed to keep Bolton "out of the loop," as one source puts it. A deal was struck only after Kaddafi was reassured that Bush would settle for "policy change"-surrendering his WMD. One Bush official called the accounts of both incidents "flatly untrue."

As the Senate hearings continue, the fired-up Democrats are focusing not just on Bolton's allegedly abusive treatment of intel analysts. They are also examining whether Bolton has told the truth under oath in recent weeks in responding to his critics. And the committee is examining fresh allegations that Bolton misused or hyped flawed intelligence against Syria, China and Iran. The steady rain of complaints about Bolton may or may not finish him, but there's no sign that the clouds are clearing.
Mocker
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:22 PM       
What I don't understand is how some Republicans can still cling to the argument that he's "just the kind of reformer the UN needs right now." This doesn't seem consistent with the testimonies given by former co-workers who describe him as your typical kiss-ass bureacrat, willing to step on those below him and lick the boots of those below him.

Furthermore, how the hell is our ambassador to the UN going to reform anything? By publicly denouncing the institution every day? He'll have to get in line.
Mocker
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 02:06 AM       
And Tom Friedman sums it up nicely:

""Reforming the U.N." is without question one of the most tired, vacuous conservative mantras ever invented. It is right up there with squeezing "waste, fraud and abuse" out of the Pentagon's budget. If the White House is concerned about waste, fraud and abuse, let's start with Tom DeLay and our own House."