Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:32 AM       
I think it's very brave your friend the cop has come out.

I'm aware cops get spit on. If COPS has taught us nothing else, it's taught us that.

I think it's very bad to sppit on cops. think it's very, very, very bad to beat your wife. I don't think the law was written in such a way as to take that into account, though. As in, spit on a cop, five years, spit on a cop after beating your wife, life.

Your judgement, accurate though it may be, on the value of this man's life, has little to do with laws or the concept of punishment and crime having something to do with each other. This degree of punishment to crime ratio is nothing the government should have under any circumstances, and you shouldn't want it, lest you get five to ten for a parking violation or twenty years for passive resistance. So far the US is still not a police state, but if this sentence passes as a humerous sidebar in the press, we'll be well on our way.

"He spitted. Those acts is aggainst a pre-written legal law. He should have his head torn off in front of his family for the spitting and then they should give his body into prison for the raping of it."
-Vinth

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:01 PM       
burbank, just go out there and protest your little heart out against the evil deeds that have fallen upon this man!
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:01 PM       
"I believe that she was joking to make something close to the same point that you're making. I think that you may need some sarcasm lessons."

Actually, if I am correct in my understanding, she was trying for irony; The fact I would criticize someone for mistreating a woman when I am equally abuse, if verbally rather than physically. Irony is not the same as sarcasm Kelly, regardless of similarities. I simply chose to use her remarks to illustrate my point better and give them some value rather than treat them as the childish remarks they were concieved to be.

As for you Burbank, I only have one last parting sentiment on a distantly related topic: The Rand corporation does statistical analysis of trends in America, amongst other things, and is always looking for cyclical patterns which may have future implications. They discovered new frontiers of industry in America seem to be pioneered every forty to fifty years, with a ten to fifteen year incubation period where they are first explored prior to exploitation. Interesting, though only conjecture. If the same is true for political trends, we may be developing into a Police State within the next few decades, I feel certainly within a century. I personally believe a form of Facism will be eclipsing our liberal democratic tendancies, as little as I like it. With headlines arising regarding the revisiting of the Constitution, and our new unilateral Pre-Emptive strike policy, it may arrive even sooner.

If we ever needed a Gaius Caesar, it was now.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:05 PM       
Gayus Caesar was such a fag.
Mocker
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:22 PM       
Gaius is pronounced GUY-us, and furthermore, he was probably the single most dedicated champion of the people I can name, save for Publius Valerius Publicola, Lucius Junius Brutus, Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and a handful of Forefathers froms the Revolutionary War.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 08:46 AM       
Cicero's name was not Cicero. 'Cicero' means garbanzo bean, it was a nicname and apparently refered to his unnaturally small testicles.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 09:44 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
Actually, if I am correct in my understanding, she was trying for irony; The fact I would criticize someone for mistreating a woman when I am equally abuse, if verbally rather than physically. Irony is not the same as sarcasm Kelly, regardless of similarities. I simply chose to use her remarks to illustrate my point better and give them some value rather than treat them as the childish remarks they were concieved to be.
Actually, irony is a better term for what she was trying to convey. Either way, your understanding of it wasn't evident in your non-reply - i.e. insulting response without any more clarification of your point or furthering of a constructive argument. Big words don't necessarily mean big ideas and your condescending tone doesn't exactly invite people to listen to your ideas and participate in a valid discussion so much as entice further animosity towards your view.

Wherever you go, there you are.

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 01:08 PM       
I must case in point say this ruling was terrible. The fact that he spit on a cop is wrong. He should definitely be punished for it. But, the sentence imposed on him for it is WAY too over-the-line for my liking. It only opens up grounds for future prosecutions, and unfair sentences.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 01:21 PM       
I always thought cops got spat on.

When I spat on a cop, all I got was a kick to the chest.

After that guy got life, I will not spit on any more cops. However, I will beat my wife, cause I thought I done told her to shut the hell up.
Mocker
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:57 AM       
"Big words don't necessarily mean big ideas and your condescending tone doesn't exactly invite people to listen to your ideas and participate in a valid discussion so much as entice further animosity towards your view."

If I truly am void of 'big ideas,' as you seem to be alluding to, then perhaps my condescension will allow people to see past my 'big words.'

One can only hope.
crash0814 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 08:13 AM       
This is fucking ridiculous. The amount of respect for law officers is way too high. I hate the majority of policemen, because most of them are arrogant pricks that think they're above normal, decent human beings. I hope the man's spit actually did carry a disease and that it remains undetected and the policeman suddenly dies and it looks like a heart attack and the man gets off scot-free. Well, scratch that. He gets the penalty for the wife-beating, but that's it. As N.W.A. once said, "Fuck the police!"
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash0814
This is fucking ridiculous. The amount of respect for law officers is way too high. I hate the majority of policemen, because most of them are arrogant pricks that think they're above normal, decent human beings. I hope the man's spit actually did carry a disease and that it remains undetected and the policeman suddenly dies and it looks like a heart attack and the man gets off scot-free. Well, scratch that. He gets the penalty for the wife-beating, but that's it. As N.W.A. once said, "Fuck the police!"
Fucking eh!
People get mad at cops when they are being arrested. If someone does not understand this concept, or is unable to handle the thought of it, they should not become police officers. Was the guy who was being arrested an asshole? Yes, and he deserved to be arrested if he was beating his wife. The relatively harmless expression of anger and contempt the man made by spitting at the cop doesn't even hold a candle to beating his wife.

As to the ridiculous amount of respect people have for the police, that is mainly because there are so many people today who are willing to trade freedom for security. They'd rather have cops telling them that they can't commit harmless illegal acts than risk the possibility of danger to them or their precious property, for which they love having the police their to protect.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:21 AM       
Exactly. People are always willing to give up freedom to feel safe. Takes all the fun out of life if you ask me.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:37 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
If I truly am void of 'big ideas,' as you seem to be alluding to, then perhaps my condescension will allow people to see past my 'big words.'

One can only hope.
I doubt it. Being well-read doesn't necessarily mean you comprehend and are able to apply what you've read. Did you ever notice that people generally don't like to trade topics with you because of your tone and, in general, lack of willingness to see anything other than your own view a la Vinth? It's rather your own literary narcisissm (i.e. jerking off to you're own self-preceived brilliance) than any form of constructive conversation that keeps you posting on a given topic. Get over yourself!

Wherever you go, there you are.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 02:46 PM       
Yeah!