Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I Love Llamas
MisSFiT is probably a spambot
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:50 PM        opeth
I'm not really into the screaming music and stuff like that , but opeth is a cross between metal and melodic, if anyone hasn't heard them you should chem em' out.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:38 AM       
NEVER HEARD OF THESE GUYS
EXcept LIKE 8 YEARS AGO
WHEN I AND EVERYONE ELSE STARTED LISTENING TO THEM
I Love Llamas
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:38 AM       
Shut the hell up, I'm really not sure how popular these guys are cause first of all I'm not into the whole "metal" scene and secondly they are from sweden , so really how many americans would venture out of the whole blink 182/britney spears/ all the other mtv crap that most of the population listens to simply because they cannot handle anything more complex because they are retarded. and really they are the only band I like that growls intheir music and the only reason I like them is pretty much for the purpose of their slower songs like patterns in the ivy, which is my favorite.
So kiss my ass. I like them. they are good. the end.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:09 AM       
"so really how many americans would venture out of the whole blink 182/britney spears/ all the other mtv crap that most of the population listens to simply because they cannot handle anything more complex because they are retarded."

"WHEN I AND EVERYONE ELSE [cool] STARTED LISTENING TO THEM"

anyway im just kididng they're a nice band. glad you heard
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:45 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisSFiT View Post
I'm not really into the screaming music and stuff like that , but opeth is a cross between metal and melodic, if anyone hasn't heard them you should chem em' out.

WTF did all the metal fags go away when i did?

GB2/2002/
I Love Llamas
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM       
Are you a metal fag?
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:01 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjavenom View Post
WTF did all the metal fags go away when i did?

GB2/2002/
No, I've just been out of the country for a while. And if I'm a fag, man would you be jealous!

As far as Opeth goes, thier best in my opinion was thier acoustic album. The older stuff is ok, but I'm just tired of it. Everyone and thier little sister loves Opeth, which is good because they are a good band, but they're in that "overrated" catagory. Thier main influences are great though. Camel is amazing.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM       
One of the guitarists has just quit. He's being replaced by a guy from Devil Driver.
I Love Llamas
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:50 PM       
Yeah I like their accoustic stuff too, but i'd have to disagree about them being overrated, but I guess if you are sick of them then it's probably pretty annoying when you keep hearing about them, I guess that would mean that they are just that good!!
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:48 AM       
They're good, but there are better bands that did what they're trying to do 30 years ago.
BANNED

Old May 25th, 2007, 07:22 PM       
How can a band be over-rated if they are good? You mean they are over-listened to or something?

I always liked their acoustic stuff, although some of their heavy stuff is alright.
Egg
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:02 PM       
Being good and overrated is very common. Opeth are good but there are other bands way more deserving of the praise Opeth gets. It's kind of like how I feel about old Metallica now, I still like old Metallica but they're talked about so much that I don't even want to hear them anymore. Overhyped to me.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:52 PM       
Opeth are the epitome of overrated. They're very low on the totem pole of metal, so when someone new to metal hears them, they completely shit their pants and go nuts praising them when, in fact, there are tons more bands out there doing something similar and/or better. Woods of Ypres, for example, have been doing what Opeth have for almost as long, and they've been doing it better by radically altering their song structure and sound on every new album, whereas Opeth have pretty much kept to the same formula their entire career.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:22 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
"so really how many americans would venture out of the whole blink 182/britney spears/ all the other mtv crap that most of the population listens to simply because they cannot handle anything more complex because they are retarded."
Man, the funniest shit is popping up all over the place all of a sudden. "They're from Sweden". SWEDEN. LAND OF THE POLAR BEARS! No average human could survive there!
BANNED

Old May 28th, 2007, 03:22 AM       
Everything that the mass public likes is generally going to be "overrated". 85% of the new york times best sellers contend this point nicely. I think it's generally a good policy to never rely on the public opinion of anything that's "Best", for example, the davinci code. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that it's the best book ever ;/

It's a curious fact that most people are very narrow and shallow minded, and probably have experienced very few things (which is basically what I mean by narrow and shallow minded). So, you can expect that their opinion about practically anything is going to be ignorant and unqualified.

I'll check out wood of ypres :O what album do you recommend by them? I grabbed a song off of something off of, "Against the seasons" and it seemed like typical metal to me, although one part of the song sounded kind of complex. I couldn't really listen to all of it though because someone's sleeping in the room and it's kind of loud :O
is your soulseek name ninjavenom, ninjavenom? I think it was you who I downloaded some music from in the past.

Last edited by kahljorn : May 28th, 2007 at 03:59 AM.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:14 AM       
Dude check out Amon Amarth, they are like melodic deathmetal AND they're from Sweden!
BANNED

Old May 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM       
I can't listen to metal without feeling that it's lame, trying too hard and geeky, despite the fact that it's supposed to be the complete opposite of that. it's a curse

like this wood of ypres song bugs me because they have the double bass in the background the entire time doing the same thing -- it's so repetitive. Some parts of the song are okay but it's always when they shut up and actually make music instead of just banging on the double bass and doing that typical metal guitar repetition. That's the biggest problem with metal is that they don't realize there's supposed to be quiet parts to songs that have like uh differences i dont know how to explain it.. and they think that every second has to be super loud music. Maybe I'm just incapable of hearing the "good" music through all the dumb noise, though.
alright after having listened to some more songs by Ypres they are alright.. I'm kind of digging this song im listening to now called 'awaiting the inevitable' but the parts that sound cool to me end up getting drowned out by metalness which makes it suck which makes me think that metal bands would sound better if they didn't play metal :O **i like these guys now that ive listened to more of their songs, the first song i listened to called the 45th paras i hated though.. they do remind me a lot of opeth and katatonia ;o

I'm going to download a random Amon Amarth song now ;o any particular albums/songs that are good?
amon amarth is alright too from what ive listened to

Last edited by kahljorn : May 28th, 2007 at 07:25 PM.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:14 AM       
The Fate Of Norns is my favorite album. Get the title track or Arson.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:29 AM       
Really I think Opeth's first album is very excellent, but pretty much everything after that isn't really worth listening to in my view.
BANNED

Old May 29th, 2007, 02:22 PM       
yea, Arson was one of the ones i downloaded. It's alright.

The first album is the one with Demon of the Fall, right?
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Old May 29th, 2007, 11:05 PM       
Shit dude I don't know what album that is on. Are you sure it isn't renamed?
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Old May 29th, 2007, 11:16 PM       
Wait that is an Opeth song! Why you gotta be saying such confusing things, Kahljorn?
BANNED

Old May 30th, 2007, 03:49 PM       
sorry dude, that's why I used the paragraph breaks.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:19 AM       
Blackwater Park is propably my favourite. I know this is a "mainstream" opinion, but I don't really care. It's a good easy-to-listen album and thats it.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:50 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
yea, Arson was one of the ones i downloaded. It's alright.

The first album is the one with Demon of the Fall, right?
No, I'm not sure which album that one was, the first album was Orchid.