Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM       
that was misleading. fifty reps PER ARM with 25 lbs, 100 total; only ten eps per arm with 50s,
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:35 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Your signature makes me not want to read any of that.
WHAT YOU BASTARD I WILL ACTUALLY JOIN GW ON THIS ONE
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:39 AM       
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY DRAWRING GODDAMN YOU
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM       
THE WINGS NEED TIO BE FINISHED, I WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN

BECAUSE MY GF JUST LET ME DOWN AND DOESN'T WANT ME TO DRIVE DOWN AND SEE HER TOMORROW EVEN THOUGH IT'S A LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP AND I'M FUCKING STREEEEESSED OUT ANYWAY SO I NEED TO SEE HER BUT YOU KNOW THERE'S NO WAY I CAN TELL HER THAT SO WHEN SHE TEXTS ME WITH "lol, actually my grandma just got out of the hospital early, tomorrows not a good time" I JUST TEXT BACK WITH "awright" AND THEN WHEN SHE TEXTAS BACK WITH "sorry " I'M ALL LIKE "lol sall good, don't worry about it" BECAUSE I DON'T WANT HER TO KNOW THAT I'M A TOTAL PUSSY INSIDE BUT SHE KNOWS ALREADY BUT SHE'S POLITE ENOUGH TO PRETEND THAT omg i'm watching an informercial for Www.armink.com, fake tattoos

this is a hilarious oh my fucking god this could be an snl skit
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:54 AM       
so yeah, i suddenly have the whole fucking day to finish it tomorrow
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 12:16 PM       
Go over to GW's house and listen to my chemical romance you homobuttfaglovehole
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus View Post
Hokay, as the the guy who already claimed popeye status, and the only guy on these forums other than chojin who can do 100 rep hammer curls with 25 lbers and 20 reps with 50 lbs, i continue to lay claim

ECCENTRIC CONCENTRIC

myofibrillar hypertrophy refers to muscle density (or actual strength; notice it matches up under the 'strength' result), and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy refers to muscle size. 20+ reps is generally only good for depleting muscle glycogen, which (unless you're carb cycling) does nothing but make you weaker and burn the shit out of you with lactic acid.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328670
btw i don't agree with everything in this article so if anyone actually reads it (doubtful) and wants clarification on anything, let me know

Last edited by Chojin : Aug 19th, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM       
so once I double the reps on the fifties I'm good. does the overkill factor also apply to sets? I usually do five
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM       
If you're doing 10 reps with the 50s, i'd increase weight, not reps. I only go over 10 reps on anything if I'm closing out a last set and want to be sure that I can increase weight the next time. Also, I'd use an 8-10 rep set in moderation (switch between 3-5 rep sets and 8-10 rep sets every month or so) or for exercises for which you are prone to injury (for example I've hurt my lower back 3 times now doing squats, so I no longer do 3-5 rep sets of those; an 8-10 rep set of squats forces me to use a lower weight to achieve the same level of muscle fatigue).

I've never seen a credible routine go over 5 sets, and most routines will have you doing 3 sets (with some exercises only needing 1 set, such as the deadlift). Lactic acid buildup is cumulative with either high reps or high sets and is the factor attributable to 'feeling the burn'. Neither a burning sensation nor soreness the day afterward is an indicator of a successful workout, so aiming for lactic acid generation through a high-set routine isn't really doing anything for you that a 3-5 set routine wouldn't.

Also it would be advisable to quit being a faggot and do compound exercises, preferably with a barbell (with certain exceptions where unrestricted ROM recruits more muscle fibers or prevents injury). I don't think you stated what it is you're doing with dumbbells, but I'm going to go ahead and assume you're doing nothing but curls, which is essentially the same as doing nothing at all. If you're just chasing a 'sick pump', pushups are a superior exercise and don't require any equipment.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:54 PM       
why would I want to lactate?
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM       
yeah, just saw your site mentioning the 5x5 as being ideal... as far as what I'm doing, I only mentioned hammer curls. i generally do militaries, squats, regular curls, hammer curls, leg lifts, and pushups... so yeah, no compound lifting. That generally happens to people when they don't have a whole lot of free time to lift weights religiously
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM       
'course, I can't get preachy, since i just lift weights because I can
was never good
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM       
you mention press, squats, and pushups which are all compound. idk what you're implying by "don't have a whole lot of free time to lift weights religiously", since compound movements cut down on your time in the weight room by working lots of muscles simultaneously (you can easily do an effective workout with 3 compound lifts).

Quote:
'course, I can't get preachy, since i just lift weights because I can
this is the among the best reasons to lift. the worst is if you're doing it for some bitch or futurebitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
why would I want to lactate?
milk is a great source of protein, and you can save a bundle if you produce it yourself.
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM       
hell, the only goal I have is to figure out a way to get my sixpack back without giving up beer, liquor, red meat, and carbs. other than that, I just don't care

probably the reason that goal hasn't been achieved
was never good
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM       
six-pack abs are about bodyfat levels, and bodyfat levels (esp. at lower bounds) are determined entirely by diet.
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 02:13 PM       
squats and pushups are compound lifts?! I thought that compound lifts involved routines like women do in excercise programs at the gym

i need to hit wikipedia, i think
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 02:16 PM       
six pack is body fat. okay, so I AM buying an elliptical trainer, since it's the only cardio I enjoy... so if i make a point of actually taking it seriously, the crunches will pay off?
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM       
for the first time in two years
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 02:45 PM       
go die in a fire
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 05:39 PM       
I had a garage sale today. Numerous interesting things happened. I sold a ballgown to a transvestite on a moped.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 05:48 PM       
Hahhaha, we had a garage sale 2 weeks ago in L.A. Either nothing interesting happened or I'm desensitized to the strange and weird.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM       
There was this one family that had roughly 40 million kids, all badly behaved, who spread out and were into everything. I thought they were going to destroy every single thing I had for sale. In the end, they stole a bunch of small stuff, but several of the kids were visibly sick and coughing uncovered all over everything, so I didn't want it back.

We also had a woman who handed us fake million-dollar bills telling us that we were probably liars and would go to hell.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 06:08 PM       
Chances are she got the second part right.
was never good
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM       
Quote:
six pack is body fat. okay, so I AM buying an elliptical trainer, since it's the only cardio I enjoy... so if i make a point of actually taking it seriously, the crunches will pay off?
i had a reply all typed out and accidentally deleted it, so here's the short version:

Between the combination of exertion and the increase to metabolic rate you'll get from doing cardio frequently (as in at least every other day), you can expect to maybe burn off 500 Calories every day that you do moderate cardio for an hour. Your machine or fitness websites will tell you you're burning much more than that, but that's bullshit. For reference, a side of fries is between 500-800 Calories. Alcoholic beverages can hit 500 Calories VERY quickly because alcohol is only 2 Calories-per-gram less fattening than pure, liquified lard. A small bottle of sake has about 900 Calories. Exercise will also make you hungrier later in the day (though it blunts hunger while you're performing it).

What I'm getting at is that you will 'burn fat' much quicker and more reliably by just changing the way you eat. Switch to diet sodas. Stop drinking alcohol or limit it. When you eat fast food, stop getting combos and just order the entree by itself. For reasons I will never understand, it seems like everyone that wants to lose weight thinks the best way to go about it is to waste a lot of time and kill themselves on a treadmill. It is much more efficient to just change your diet and will also condition you better for keeping the weight off in the future.
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 08:24 PM       
yeah, I remember your advice on multiplying the proof by 1.7 when figuring on the calories in a shot of whiskey... i don't drink sodas or eat fast food, but i REALLY don't want to give up drinking or eating red meat