Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:32 AM        Weekly Game Review: Bionic Commando Rearmed
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Game Review: Bionic Commando Rearmed.
Fanboy
Purple Man is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:30 AM       
Here's one 8-bit nerd thrilled at this game. It is, indeed, a good kind of pain - the retro bionic kind.
Forum Virgin
kaledivh is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:47 AM       
well welcome to the sad sad future we're in. The average difficulty of the average game today is beyond easy. If people think this is tough or other ones today are, go give Blaster Master, Any of the ORIGINAL Ninja Gaiden's a try. And I feel like an 80 year old man when I complain about it, DAMN WHIPPERSNAPPERS with their infinite lives, no secret codes and websites with cheat codes on it!!!
Nexus 7 Prototype
VaporTrailx1 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:45 PM       
This game is totally tits. The only complaint I have with it is that it doesn't have the original 8-bit game as an unlockable.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:03 PM       
Oh, man. It's so good to see Bionic Commando again.
Official Punching Bag
JakeOfAllTrades is probably a spambot
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:18 AM       
Why does he look like a red haired Duke Nukem? Or is that just me?
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM       
They didn't fix the main flaw in the original though, namely the lack of a jump button. I'm not talking "crazy super mario" jumping, I'm talking "let me get over the barrel and sandbags without embarrassing myself" jumping. Quite frankly, that's the only thing that made the original (and this remake) hard. Imho the game wasn't hard, it was just poorly designed in this respect. The bionic arm is hard to work but that would have been ok if you didn't have to use the arm for any kind of movement. You can't simply jump down a platform, you have to walk off the end to go down and often use your stupid arm to catch yourself before you hit water.

I'm not a big fan of bionic commando myself. I really think it's one of the few capcom franchises that need to remain buried. Now a new ghouls and ghosts, that's where it's at. Aurthor might be in hard games, but at least he's not some kind of non-jumping freak!
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM       
To get around low obstacles, you fire the arm diagonally into the ceiling and swing past. You don't even need to clear the obstacle vertically.

And while I admit I would like to have seen some way for you to drop down a platform by just attaching the arm and lowering yourself, I think it still works. In the original, pulling off a move like that would've been pure hell thanks to you dropping like a stone every time you walked off an edge, but in adding loft to your falling, they've allowed you to pull off moves like that, as well as even more complex swinging and jumping.

Incidentally, if you'd like to see a good game that has both arm-swinging and jumping, you should check out Ninja Five-0 for the GBA.

Also, they released a new GnG game for the PSP a few years back. I let our own Mockery try it, and I believe he found it to be even more brutal than the original (though still an excellent game).

Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM       
Bionic Commando: Rearmed is easily the best original content yet released for XBLA. The original was way more brutal, I loved the original GameBoy port, and this one does them both justice and then some. Great review Doc.
A Play On Words
MXL5 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 03:13 AM       
Oh hell yeah this game was awesome. I remember beating the original on my friend's NES. I love how they redid bosses, taking out a power core for a boss was probably the most stupid part of the original. I'm surprised they didn't change the enemy territory encounters going from each area little bit more, it's get's kind of old after you did them at least 3 times.

I also liked how the very last level is a huge test for your swinging skills, very frustrating, but satisfying once you get it down.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 08:16 AM       
I tried the demo on PSN. It's a cool little game - particularly the music. Really excellent sound track. I like the little swinging puzzles too.