Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:34 PM        Evil Bush caused Florida Hurricanes so VOTE KERRY!
Florida Billboards Blame Bush for Hurricanes
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Morning Editor
October 26, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - Because President George W. Bush has "ignored the threat of global warming," Floridians can expect to be hit by increasingly destructive hurricanes, a new billboard campaign says.

The billboards, going up along Interstate 4 between Tampa and Orlando -- a week before the presidential election -- read, "Global warming equals worse hurricanes. George Bush just doesn't get it." The billboards show a photo of a hurricane swirling toward Florida.

The campaign is co-sponsored by Scientists and Engineers for Change and Environment2004. The NAACP National Voter Fund is also involved in the effort to blame Bush for ignoring global warming.

A press release announcing the billboard campaign quoted Michael Oppenheimer, a professor of geosciences and international affairs at Princeton: "The damage from this year's hurricanes should be taken as a sign of things to come," Oppenheimer said. "The warming ocean surface will supply more and more heat to future hurricanes, causing their winds to strengthen and their destructive power to increase disproportionately."

Aimee Christensen, executive director of Environment2004, said President Bush has "pursued an energy policy driven by industry, which puts polluters before people." She said the Florida billboard campaign is intended to "raise awareness" of how Bush administration policies are "harming the people of Florida."

Christensen said people in the hard-hit Tampa and Orlando areas "need to know that Bush is doing practically nothing to prevent hurricanes from getting worse in the future from global warming."

Gregory T. Moore, head of the NAACP's National Voter Fund, said his organization has launched an effort to inform minorities how they are "more heavily impacted by environmental threats," such as stronger hurricanes.

"Here in Florida," Moore added in a non sequitur, "there are still 90,000 people homeless because of the hurricanes, and they should have the right to vote."

Not all scientists subscribe to theories that global warming is caused by man -- much less the supposed link between global warming and stronger hurricanes. Many scientists say hurricane activity is cyclical; and no one's sure what, if any, impact global warming will have on the frequency and intensity of storms.

Scientists and Engineers for Change describes itself as a "political committee that believes science and technology are crucial building blocks for American prosperity." It opposes Bush administration policies.

Environment2004 also describes itself as "a political organization dedicated to electing leaders who understand the importance of environmental protection." The group also is anti-Bush.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 11:10 AM       
http://www.calpoly.edu/~mrosenga/bushuncensored.mov
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM        Re: Evil Bush caused Florida Hurricanes so VOTE KERRY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
Not all scientists subscribe to theories that global warming is caused by man -- much less the supposed link between global warming and stronger hurricanes. Many scientists say hurricane activity is cyclical; and no one's sure what, if any, impact global warming will have on the frequency and intensity of storms.
Any scientist with half a brain acknowledges that build-up of greenhouse gasses due to air pollution causes environmental damage. And though we aren't sure what the result will be, there are very good models that predict unpleasant results.

This fucking head-in-the-sand meantality of "we don't KNOW for FACT that we're gonna blow ourselves up if we do this" pisses me off to no end. It's liking poking a grizzly bear with a stick and saying "he MIGHT NOT rip my head off and use it as a shot put, maybe he'll just maul me a little bit, and I'll be OK".
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:41 PM       
Quote:
Any scientist with half a brain acknowledges that build-up of greenhouse gasses due to air pollution causes environmental damage. And though we aren't sure what the result will be, there are very good models that predict unpleasant results.
True, but.. stronger hurricanes? I don't know.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:44 PM       
Are you kidding? The more heat, the more water evaporates to form clouds which turn into storm activity.