Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 01:18 PM        Minuteman speech interrupted at Columbia
Anyone hear about this?

I'd been thinking of attending that night. I wish I would have.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-385995c.html

Minuteman college talk gets violent
BY JIMMY VIELKIND
DAILY NEWS WRITER
Thursday, October 5th, 2006

The border wars came to Columbia University last night when student protesters clashed on stage with a staunch anti-immigrant advocate.

Jim Gilchrist, the founder of the Minuteman Project, spoke for less than two minutes before students from Columbia's Chicano Caucus walked onstage with a banner proclaiming "Say No to Racism." Members of the audience tried to join them - sparking a melee.

As they chanted the Pledge of Allegiance, Minuteman supporters attempted to seize the banner while others restrained more students from rushing the stage, witnesses said.

Punches and kicks were thrown, but no one was seriously injured, witnesses said.

The Columbia College Republicans, who sponsored the speech, called the protest a "precoordinated attack." But protesters contend it was the Minuteman who became violent.

"We didn't touch anyone," said Karina GarcĂ*a, a senior and member of the university's Chicano Caucus. "When they brought this speaker, this was an attack on our community and our families. Wesimply expressed our right to freedom of speech."

The California-based Minutemen have drawn controversy for patrolling the Mexican border to enforce immigration laws.

"The goal of the speech was to bring an issue to the forefront of scholarly debate at Columbia. That failed miserably," said Chris Kulawik, a junior who serves as the president of the College Republicans.

"I thought this was an Ivy League institution. It was quite embarrassing as a Columbia student."

Robert Hornsby, a Columbia spokesman, said the university "deplores the disruption that took place."

-------------------------------------

Ongoing coverage from the inside can be found at http://www.bwog.net/

Honestly, what did they expect? If you bring a group like the Minuteman Project to campus, you aren't getting "rational discourse," anyway.

Sure, we just provided more ammo for Campus Watch, but I'm pretty sure this would have happened regardless of where they spoke.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 01:43 PM       
Is Gilchrist anti-immigrant, or just in favor of enforcing immigration laws already on the books?

And of course, break out the dirty "R" word because you want it to be an ethnicity issue. Has it completly lost its meaning?
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 02:51 PM       
I've heard them called racists, xenophobes and vigilantes, but I not one person I've met who hated the minutemen was able to give me any specific incidents to back up their claims. Am I missing something?
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 10:09 PM       
I am pro immigration especailly if they get a job and pay taxes. I even support the temporary worker visa, and the amnesty Bush granted.

But I say if you come illegally (or even legally) and commit a felony, get the hell out and don't come back. Spend your time in YOUR countries prison on their dime and don't come back. Or if you come here to not get a job and mooch off the system and rack up debt you should get out (and that goes for you Americans who do that too)

I think if we could ENFORCE that immigration wouldn't be a problem. I think we should have a method for people to get in legally get jobs and stay here on the condition that they keep that and contribute to our economy and taxes. We can support as many WORKING people as possible even if they send some money back home to their family, but if you subvert our law i don't see any right you have to be here.

America is built on LEGITAMATE immigration. It's not Aparthied for America to build a border fence, it's merely the smart and right thing to do. If your country is so lame, get a political refugee visa, and a job and join this country. We'd be happy to have you.