Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM       
I want to thank an older Jewish man with a gift, but he doesn't drink. What should I give him?

Serious answers are also welcome.
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:33 PM       
money

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM       
that one book by Frankl
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM       
Does he have any other characteristics, apart from Jewishness?

Srsly though I have lots of elderly Jewish relatives and I gots the hookup.

Ten Commandments Sticky Notes

Money Clip that says "Gelt"

It also sort of makes a big difference, if being Jewish IS his main characteristic, whether we're talking Orthodox or Reform or what because it makes a big difference in how seriously he takes things.

Tzedakah (charity) boxes, Mezuzahs, donations to Chabad.org and stuff like that are all good for a classier gift or someone who wants to take themselves seriously.

If not, there are tons of places online that sell matzo-patterned LET MY PEOPLE GO toilet seat covers.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM       
http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Me...4532398&sr=8-1

get him that unless you think he'd be offended by a book about holocaust survivors :O :O its a good book though.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:20 PM       
Well, he is my neighbors dad and I know very little about him. He found on the sidewalk all my medical cards an SS card and returned it to me. That would have sucked to replace. I asked his son if he drank and he said no and then I expressed that I wanted to give him a thank you present and the were all "no it was nothing don't worry about it". That didn't help at all.

Things I know about him.

He's about 65 Y.O.
He recognizes the holidays but I think that's the extent of it.
He's from New York.
I don't think he eats pork.
I highly doubt he observes the sabbath.

So he's just your basic every day New York Jew living in Los Angeles. The only problem I have is that I don't know his level of humor. That's why I'm kinda looking for something that's traditional, but I didn't see anything when I googled it. He is also moving back to N.Y. in 2 weeks. If all else fails I'll buy him a card, but I wanted to do something nice since they have been great neighbors.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM       
These bookends are relatively tasteful and neutral:

http://www.moderntribe.com/judaica/j...az_bookholders

There's a cool coffee mug that is a ceramic version of the "We are Happy to Serve You" cups that are all over NYC...it's pretty neat...

Not sure exactly how much you want to spend, though. You could look for something that says "Ahava" in Hebrew, which is sort of the same word that means either "love" or "give". I have an Ahava necklace, but it might be weird giving something that could mean "love" to a guy.

I dunno, you might want to just look for a generic 65-year-old-man gift, rather than assume that because he's Jewish he walks around in tallit and that's all there is to him.

Here are a couple more fairly reliable Jewish gift sites:

http://www.judaicawebstore.com/Categ...?CategoryId=11

http://www.judaism.com/chabadstore.asp?cdo=chabad.org

Almost every local synagogue store I know of either redirects to or orders most of their stuff from that one.

You can also get a coffee table book of work by a Jewish artist, like Chagall.

Hope that info was serious and useful enough for you.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM       
I think the NY angle would be an easier play, with less risk. The coffee mug is nice.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:57 PM       
Yeah, I think you're right Kitsa/FZ. Better just go with the 65 yo avenue since I have no idea how jewy he is. I'll have a look at Cost Plus/World Market first.
Let's play Hardball!
Seven Force is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM       
Why don't you just ask Mr. Burbank what he wants?
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
So he's just your basic every day New York Jew living in Los Angeles.
Isn't there a place in LA than imports water from NYC so they can make authentic NYC bagels?

If so get him gift certificates to there
☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:15 PM       
Oh man, that would be awesome, except he is moving in 2 weeks. Maybe I can just buy the bagels and have some for myself. Any idea on what the name of the bagel shop is?
☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM       
Is it The Original Brooklyn Water Bagel Co.?

http://www.brooklynwaterbagels.com/location.php
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:36 PM       
http://www.ajewishgift.com/
If subtlety isn't a virtue of yours...
Unfunny Python Reference
Ex Leper is probably a real personEx Leper is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:17 PM       
Just bought two boxes full of old issues of Starlog Magazine.
teacup of sunshine
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:04 PM       
I've just had the second book "purchase" I've made on ebay go bad within a single month. I think I'm buying the book, I pay for it, then in an hour or so they refund my money and say "Sorry, we didn't have it." How are they allowed to list it if they never had it?
Unfunny Python Reference
Ex Leper is probably a real personEx Leper is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM       
That happened to me on Amazon a few times as well.
BANNED

Old May 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM       
Quote:
I've just had the second book "purchase" I've made on ebay go bad within a single month. I think I'm buying the book, I pay for it, then in an hour or so they refund my money and say "Sorry, we didn't have it." How are they allowed to list it if they never had it?
HOW IS GREYHOUND ALLOWED TO SELL TICKETS THEY NEVER HAD GOD DAMNIT

amazon has uhh amagaybies
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
That happens to me on board games a lot when i try and buy them via amazon
BANNED

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:05 PM       
Wait wait i got it.

Amazon's a woman.

IM A MISOGYNIST NOW.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM       
☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM       
☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM