Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 02:58 PM        Another one bites the dust!
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...nce/index.html

Hamas leader killed in Gaza City blast

Thousands of Hamas supporters gather in streets

Saturday, April 17, 2004 Posted: 2:50 PM EDT (1850 GMT)

GAZA CITY (CNN) -- Abdel Aziz Rantisi, the leader of the militant group Hamas in Gaza, was killed on Saturday in Gaza City when his car exploded, hospital officials said.

Also killed were Rantisi's son Mohammed, 20, and a bodyguard, hospital officials said.

Rantisi was taken to a hospital, where he died.

Immediately after news of the killing swept through the territory, thousands of Hamas activists, in shock and panic, spilled into the streets.

Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat condemned the killing saying: "We hold the Israeli government fully responsible for the consequences of such actions.

"At the end of the day violence will breed more violence, hatred will breed more hatred."

Rantisi was appointed to head Hamas in Gaza after Hamas founder and spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin was killed last month in an Israeli missile strike in Gaza City.

It was not clear if Rantisi's car -- which was engulfed in flames -- was attacked by aircraft or had been booby-trapped. A huge explosion was heard in Gaza City and half of the city lost electricity.

TV footage showed hospital doctors frantically working on Rantisi.

The Israeli army is not commenting on the development.

Saeb Erakat, the Palestinian Authority's chief negotiator, issued a statement: "We condemn this Israeli crime and state terrorism and we hold the Israeli government fully responsible for the consequences of the assassination of Rantisi."

Suicide attack

The move comes hours after a Palestinian suicide bomber launched an attack in the Erez industrial zone Saturday, killing a border police officer and wounding three others.

Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades and Hamas claimed responsibility for that attack.

An Al Aqsa spokesman identified the bomber as Fadi al-Amudi of Beit Lahiya, located in northern Gaza near Erez. An Israeli army official said the bomber had worked in the zone for the last two years. He died at the scene.

A second attacker, from Hamas, tried but failed to enter the industrial zone, an Al Aqsa source said. The military said it knew nothing about a second bomber.

Both groups have conducted previous terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians.

There is heavy security around the busy industrial area, where the bomber detonated explosives at an entrance where the workers are checked before they can go to their jobs.

At least 2,900 entered Erez Saturday. The zone was closed as a result of the bombing, and it is not known when it will reopen. Many Palestinians have jobs there.

The attack came three days after President Bush met with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in Washington.

Bush endorsed Sharon's plan to withdraw all Jewish settlements and troops from Gaza and all but six blocs of Jewish settlements from the West Bank.

Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat on Thursday rejected the plan.

It was closed for several days in January after a female suicide-bomber killed four Israelis at a checkpoint leading to the Erez industrial zone. Ten people were wounded in the blast.
-------------------
Quote:
"At the end of the day violence will breed more violence, hatred will breed more hatred."
Blah, blah, blah.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 03:33 PM       
Finally. We are one step closer to peace in the Middle East.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 06:05 PM       
I like how the standard U.S. response to these assassinations has become "Israel should put on her thinking cap and think about what she does."

Clearly Israel has thought about it, that's why they're doing it (at least that's why their Right-wing Likud government is doing it).

I would like President Bush to define his stance on this. He just endorsed Sharon's "peace plan" for withdrawing from occupied territories, while leaving many established settlements that will only lead to conflict down the road.

I want Bush one way or the other to take a stand on the assassination policy Israel has chosen. I defended the killing of Yassin, because I bought the Israeli argument that Hamas would crumble without him. Now they killed Rantisi. Will they kill everyone in Hamas? Hey, hardly a tear will I shed, but what will be the consequences....?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 08:12 PM       
He has grave concerns but recognizes Israels right to defend herself. What's undefined about that? He IS concerned, and those cncerns are GRAVE, okay? Jeeze, does he have to spell it out for you?!

Two-Faced is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 10:40 PM       
lolz he can spell?

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:58 AM        Hmmm
Apparently not. Lolz.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:34 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
He just endorsed Sharon's "peace plan" for withdrawing from occupied territories, while leaving many established settlements that will only lead to conflict down the road.

Which settlements ?
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 06:44 AM       
dont get him started, puh-lease

CastroMotorOil is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:54 AM       
well in a way i see how logical this policy is. Just make the job of Hamas' leader one that has a very short life expectancy, and eventually no one will want the job, not even a rabid hamas member wants to get shot with a missile. I guess theoretically this could eventually hamper hamas' efforts because its leadership will be badly fragmented. Not sure if the end justifies the means though.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 10:07 AM       
I wouldn't go so far as to call it logical. The more likely result is that they will be less public about it. They won't call them selves Hamas or point to a man and say "he is our leader". they'll just strap on more bombs and keep blowing up innocents and guilty alike.

It's well beyond all-fucked-up at this point.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 11:46 AM       
I don't understand why Israel thinks that killing terrorist leaders is going to help all that much. These nutbars are proud to die. Hell, they're lining up to die. They can't wait; they've got 72 virgins waiting for them on the other side. They're happy to do it. Kill one, and you've got a dozen more right behind him, waiting to get one o' them neat belts of their very own.
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
I wouldn't go so far as to call it logical. The more likely result is that they will be less public about it. They won't call them selves Hamas or point to a man and say "he is our leader". they'll just strap on more bombs and keep blowing up innocents and guilty alike.
I hear Israel already knows the name of the new leader and has posted it in newspapers. Nice secrecy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
I don't understand why Israel thinks that killing terrorist leaders is going to help all that much. These nutbars are proud to die. Hell, they're lining up to die. They can't wait; they've got 72 virgins waiting for them on the other side. They're happy to do it. Kill one, and you've got a dozen more right behind him, waiting to get one o' them neat belts of their very own.
See? Israel's helping them get to the divine pussy a little bit sooner.