Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM       
The Hive was one part of the game that I didn't care for either. It's just weird because you feel bad that the aliens are doing this to the women, and it makes you want to stop it from happening. Then you remember you're playing a Duke Nukem game and didn't expect it to be making you feel this uncomfortable, or anything for that matter. Why you gotta sneak emotions all up in my raunchy humor game, Duke?

I'm really not sure where 3DRealms was going with this part at all. Why did they think we would want to suddenly be faced with all these kidnapped women screaming and crying for their parents as aliens gestate inside of them? The joke that Duke tells the Twins was also in really poor taste, even for Duke. He always seemed to have an air of gruff remorse about the women he can't rescue, just like when he says he couldn't save them after you kill one of them, so having him say this to someone you thought he at least tolerated seemed very out of character for him. :L
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM       
Played through DNF in a single evening. Took me just under 6 hours (about an hour of that spent watching loading screens), and I almost wish it was shorter. Pretty much everything in the game has been done better elsewhere and earlier. It's like they just took elements from all the big titles and slapped them together, hoping the combination would be something people would like.

Also, the Hive level was a huge tonal shift that didn't work at all for the game. I get what they were trying to do, namely recreate that feeling from episode 2 of Duke3D where you go into space and discover the alien's diabolical plans, but that only worked because they kept everything very minimalist. The captured women would just say, "kill me" if you tried talking to them. No weeping, no retching, no crying out for their parents, just you gawking at the horrible sight.

And part of it didn't even make sense:

Spoilers!

I went for the Balls of Steel Edition, and in the art book, Randy Pitchford said the entire game was the work of 3D Realms, with Gearbox just cleaning it up for shipping. If that's true, I can only hope the next Duke Nukem game is entirely the work of people outside of 3D Realms because they have nothing but terrible ideas.

pickled
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 09:41 PM       
You just now noticed they have horrible ideas? At what point did the 12 year development not make you notice this?
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 12:28 AM       
It's not news to me, dick. I'm just remarking on how the finished product looks.

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM       
Well, this is pretty fun, but there are some pretty obvious flaws. Sometimes, when I'm looking at a poster or something, it's really grainy and I don't know if that's just the shitty graphics or a clever, annoying nod to the way Duke3D looked.

That was very funny. Well done.
pickled
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 08:56 PM       
The only posters they bothered to make readable are the ones with tits in them.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM       
to everyone who is complaining about load times:

why the fuck are you playing an fps on a console
Funky Dynamite
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM       
I was still seeing substantial load times on my PC, and I'm not sure why. It's not as if it were loading a lot of complex textures.

pickled
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:48 AM       
The load times on my pc version were less than a minute.
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 01:26 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
to everyone who is complaining about load times:

why the fuck are you playing an fps on a console
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 02:53 AM       
I think I'm almost done. I'm blowing up the dam and just killed a giant eel. It's definitely an enjoyable game and a really nice throwback to old FPS games and Duke Nukem in particular. I can see why some people would bitch, but really, they should just blow it out their asses.

I play FPS games on a console because I don't even have a PC anymore. I use my laptop for school and everything else, I have no desire to play any games on it, and going off to get a PC just for gaming isn't worth the time or money.

pickled
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM       
Zomboid is always online. Always.
The Wolf
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM       
This week, yeah. There was a gap of about two months where I wasn't, though. I've gotta make up for lost time.

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
I was still seeing substantial load times on my PC, and I'm not sure why. It's not as if it were loading a lot of complex textures.
i loaded each level in about 6 seconds at first, then ~3 seconds when dying

are you trying to play this on your mom's gateway
Funky Dynamite
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM       
3ghz with 2gb of RAM. I thought I was doing okay with it.

It never occurred to me that meeting the recommended settings for running the game would work out so badly for me.

Anyway, the Steam forums have people saying you can fix the load times by changing the priorities for Steam and DNF in Task Manager.

Last edited by Dr. Boogie : Jul 7th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 09:40 PM       
That's exactly what I have, Boog. I remember playing the demo that came out on Steam recently and it loaded in about 30 seconds or so.

The content of the demo, though, was enough to make me never want to buy the game. Not that I was particularly interested in the first place.
The Wolf
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 09:51 PM       
PRETENTIOUS SHIT!

Funky Dynamite
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM       
What I would really like is for someone to make a mod that lets you collect all the weapons at once a la DN3D and modern games like Serious Sam. That takes care of one of the big critic complaints right there.

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:40 PM       
Fuck yeh, Serious Sam. I'm hyped for the next one, so much more than I ever cared about Duke Nukem.
pickled
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:47 PM       
Serious Sam 3 is just going to be Serious Sam 2 which was just Serious Sam 1.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 12:07 AM       
That's good, because there was nothing wrong with any of those.
pickled
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 09:03 AM       
Nothing wrong with them, but I've already play them.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM       
Well then you can not play it while I enjoy the co-op with fifteen other people and we can circle-strafe because we want to, not because it's part of a game that's desperately trying to be relevant.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
3ghz with 2gb of RAM. I thought I was doing okay with it.

It never occurred to me that meeting the recommended settings for running the game would work out so badly for me.

Anyway, the Steam forums have people saying you can fix the load times by changing the priorities for Steam and DNF in Task Manager.
You need to have your pc do more cardio or have better form. I've seen chojins computer doing dead lifts just to prepare for the next fps.
pickled
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 03:17 AM       
I hate the arena rooms in the Serious Sam games. LESS ARENA ROOMS PLEASE.