Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:04 AM        Weekly Music Review: The War Of The Worlds
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Music Review: The War Of The Worlds.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 11:21 AM       
Actually there was no mass hysteria. It was just a ploy by newspapers to sell more papers by reporting that the news broadcast had indeed caused people to panic. Many of the photos featured in the pages of the newspapers were staged for dramatic effect as well.

Still a good listen, though.
Shadowdancer21b is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:35 PM       
I love that cover art. I haven't seen that one before.
Costume Junkie
Sakata is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:58 PM       
My grandfather had this in a classic radio broadcast collection [on cassette no less] that I listened to over and over as a child.
He used to tell me how people were running from their homes at the time of broadcast because they believed it to be real. He even said a woman had tripped, then threw her shoes off saying she wasn't going to need them anymore.
Kudos to Orson Welles.
Cranberry Everything
dextire is probably a spambot
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 12:57 AM       
Nick: You are indeed correct that the news reports of hysteria were greatly exaggerated by the newspapers, fearing they would be wiped out by radio.
However, in 1949 a Spanish version of the joke was played in Ecuador. The panic, and soon after riot of hundreds that followed caused at least six deaths, and they burned the radio station to the ground.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 09:00 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakata View Post
He even said a woman had tripped, then threw her shoes off saying she wasn't going to need them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextire View Post
Nick: You are indeed correct that the news reports of hysteria were greatly exaggerated by the newspapers, fearing they would be wiped out by radio.
However, in 1949 a Spanish version of the joke was played in Ecuador. The panic, and soon after riot of hundreds that followed caused at least six deaths, and they burned the radio station to the ground.