Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 03:29 AM        The Scariest Moments In Non-Horror Movies!
Automatically generated comment thread for The Scariest Moments In Non-Horror Movies!.
Slacking Enthusiast
Kenji is probably a spambot
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:10 AM       
I feel that this lacks a reference to Return to Oz, although I honestly can't tell whether that movie was intended as a horror flick or not...
A-bomb is probably a spambot
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:16 AM       
Great list, Rog. Your first three picks were exactly the same ones that came to mind for me. Here are two others I'm reminded of:
1. Peter Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring has some scary parts, but the one that really got me was where Frodo shows Bilbo the ring and Bilbo's face turns monstrous for a split second.
2. In The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, a magician places a woman and a snake into a big vase and turns them into a snake-woman thing. At first she seems happy about it and starts dancing around, but soon she seems to lose control of the snake tail, which wraps around her neck and starts choking her until the magician reverses the transformation. Not really terrifying now, but as a kid it got to me because of the horror on the woman's face when she starts getting strangled.
Unfunny Python Reference
Ex Leper is probably a real personEx Leper is probably a real person
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 12:58 PM       
Good job! There was another scene in Big Adventure i found scary a well. Pee-wee dreams that his bike is having surgery preformed by a bunch of clowns. The main doctor pulls down his face-mask to review a disturbing skeleton clown style makeup up which is followed by his bike getting dipped in a pool of fire which is controlled by Francis in a Devil Costume.
Forum Virgin
Starscream is probably a spambot
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 05:16 PM       
Great list.

I don't normally suggest remakes, but seeing what you mentioned about Labyrinth makes me wish Guillermo del Toro would try to champion making one. Somehow I think that scene would get 1000x more creepier.
Unfunny Python Reference
Ex Leper is probably a real personEx Leper is probably a real person
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 05:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Great list.

I don't normally suggest remakes, but seeing what you mentioned about Labyrinth makes me wish Guillermo del Toro would try to champion making one. Somehow I think that scene would get 1000x more creepier.
He needs to fix The Haunted Mansion first
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM       
DUDE! Yes, totally agree with all of these! And that Superman 3 thing totally fucked me up when I was a kid.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 09:50 PM       
The Electric Grandmother, when she gets hit by a car in front of the kids and goes flying. Really messed with me as a kid.

Ghostbusters wasn't really a horror movie, but the Library Ghost.

I was also really creeped out by the "Pink Elephants on Parade" number from Dumbo for some reason.
Forum Virgin
Max Fightmaster is probably a spambot
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 11:38 PM       
Let's never forget Brave Little Toaster and it's myriad of horrors, from the exploding air conditioner to the clown from Hell.
Cranberry Everything
dextire is probably a spambot
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 12:01 AM       
I love the list. I'm guessing you're well aware of both Return to Oz and The Dark Crystal being pure nightmare fuel.

Suburban Commando: when Gen. Suitor gets sucker punched in the balls, he turns into something of cross between the Creature from the Black Lagoon and Predator. Totally unexpected and scared me as a kid.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People: made in 1959 and the Banshee is still impressive and scary.

Robocop: the guy who goes swimming in the toxic waste and starts to melt. And then he pops like a water balloon when hit buy a car.

Terminator 2: when the T-1000 mimics the guard, stabs him in the head, and then stares for a few seconds as the guy bleeds and spasms like crazy.
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 04:42 AM       
I agree Rog... the end of Superman III scared the shit out of me as a kid, and it's still disturbing to watch to this day.

That might not seem like a big deal, but you've got to understand that films don't scare me... they never have. To this day the only two films that have ever scared me are Superman III and IT (because clowns are frikkin scary).
Forum Virgin
goblyn is probably a spambot
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 08:50 AM       
That movie "Toys" was pretty unsettling all around (90 minutes of Robin Williams will do that) but the scene with that robotic underwater monster thing (I don't recall what its called) was pretty intense.
I shot Wilhelm.
ChaiTea is probably a spambot
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 02:39 AM       
God, the trash compactor monster. It used to scare the bejeezus outta me because I thought it resembled a foot. I used to have nightmares of my foot turning into one of them.
an organism
Cybernetic is probably a spambot
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 12:53 PM       
I agree 100% with the Superman III scene, I saw that scene on tv randomly at a friend's house when I was a kid and was extremely disturbed the rest of the day, if not the whole week. A woman dragged into a huge machine against her will to have shit welded onto her body? Nightmares.
Forum Virgin
danixdefcon5 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM       
Oh, I agree on most of these, though the hands in Labyrinth didn't really scare me at the time, the others did. Especially the Pee Wee one and the Superman III one. It probably didn't do any good that I had already seen the first Terminator by the time I watched Superman III...

I'm not sure if Deliverance counts in this list. The scene is mostly what the movie's remembered for (and the Dueling Banjos). There's even that "Row Faster, I Hear Banjos" meme. Thus, if you're watching it, you already know it's going to happen. (But it might have caught the original moviegoers off guard when it came out.)

I'd add another "gotcha!" scene to the list: the nightmare sequence in Big Momma's House. Yeah, crappy humor movie & all, but the whole thing kinda plays more like a scene taken out of "Stepfather" than a comedy movie. When the killer husband appeared, I actually jumped at the theater!
Forum Virgin
Joel3K is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM       
There's one rather subtle detail about the choice of pictures in this article that I really like: how every single picture either shows something scary, or clearly implies that something scary is about to happen, choosing the most disturbing possible pictures even for the particular scenes on the list (which is saying something!) — except for the first Labyrinth picture of a completely non-scary Jennifer Connelly.