Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:42 PM       
What if the sun farted?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:51 PM       
Everything in the universe would eventually smell it.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
=======

Old May 7th, 2006, 11:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
preechr, plese cut the pathetic fallacies

fire doesn't seek out oxygen. fire is a combustive chemical reaction between oxygen and a fuel.

likewise government and poplitics have no wills of their own. government and politics are actions taken by people. people may have egos, but the concept of government does not. your claims to the contrary seem extremely irrational.

and what exactly does ANY of this have to do with evolution or science?
We already sorted out that first bit for you, so let me address the rest of my fallacies for you now.

Government and politics do not have minds of their own. They are inanimate devices... Tools. Just as I can bend iron to make scissors, I can bend ideas to make a government and political change. Ideas and theories are bent, twisted, sharpened and fastened together in such a way as to make a an extremely complex mechanism that has limitations and specialized purposes just like any pair of scissors or jet engine.

The purpose of scissors is to cut stuff, maybe stab an eye out.

Government is a tool civilized folk use to keep their societies working in their favor. Some folks believe what's best for all is best for each of us, but other folks would rather take a stricter view and do their best to win undue influence by limiting the actions of others. This clash of intentions gave birth to the tool of politics.

Just like scissors, these tools are designed specifically for an intended purpose. Government is designed to restrict liberty. That's about as destructive a thing you can do to a person, and we all support it to some degree. That makes it potentially the most terrible human force on the planet. We should be extremely careful when we use this tool.

There. We agree, right?

So I'm no longer irrational in your view?

...and this has very little to do with the evolution debate. It's tangential, but generally related. Pretty soon I'm gonna start souting that religion and science are two sides to the same coin. It might make better sense then.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:35 PM       
You could consider any two things two sides of the same coin if you bend and constrict logic enough. WE ARE TWO SIDES OF THE SAAME COIN PREECHR. THE SAME COIN BROTHER!

Science is about physical reality, religion is about supernatural reality. It doesn't really matter if they are the same coin, though. That doesn't mean religion should be in science classrooms, it doesn't change the validity of scientific findings and it doesn't change anything about evolution.
You know that science isn't ONLY just theories that contradict religion, right? it's also measurements and observations of nature. Do you think things like, say, understanding what humidity is contradicts religion? What about temperature? How about understanding how rain works? You know. Stuff like that. Do you think that's all bad stuff? Do you think any of that knowledge is corrupted by politics?

Religion didn't make airplanes possible, or cars or trains. Religion didn't make television. Religion didn't invent the clothes you're wearing, the computer you're using and the house you're living inside of. You can say they are similar because they are both a mass of various ideas, but that doesn't really change the fact that science contributes to the understanding of physical reality, and religion does not(if it does, not nearly in the same scope).
I think alot of religion, and think it has some really practical uses and the body of information presented by it is great if you can use it properly. Same with science, sure. Great. This has been fantastic.

This seriously is a stupid topic to discuss. I don't care if they are the same coin religion still doesn't have the scientific method which allows science to discover usable "Facts" to contribute to our lives.

Seriously can we discuss some practical things? I mean, the government talk was great which you still have yet to respond to. Same with the evolution talk which you still have yet to respond to. This is really turning out to be a bummer, preechr- despite how nice we are being to eachother. We've actually had more involving conversations when we were cursing at eachother.
BANNED

Old May 7th, 2006, 11:50 PM       
"Government and politics do not have minds of their own. They are inanimate devices"

This statement could be easily argued in psychological and sociological terms.

I thought i should ask in a different post so i k now you'll see it:

SO WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT THOSE INTERMEDIATE SPECIES FOSSILS AND ALL THE OTHER INFORMATION SHOWING TRANSITIONAL INFORMATION
=======

Old May 8th, 2006, 11:25 PM       
Religion is Why something happens. Science is how it happens.

BANNED

Old May 9th, 2006, 01:09 AM       
Yea well some of us have been expressing that concept when we said, "Evolution and religion can work together", "They don't necessarily contradict eachother". It doesn't really prove or disprove God. It just supplies some people with a notion against it. That's not us, and it's certainly not a part of science. Science currently has no theory against nor for God, so rest assured little buddy at this current venture no scientific figure is being corrupted to try to assassinate whatever it is that drives you.

Does religion disprove science? That's another question we could ask. Then we arrive at the fact that there's no real conflict, by eithers standard, and you're creating this non-existent issue from a neurotic perception.
Why are we having this conversation? I understand the how but not the why. Another why question, why can't you respond to any of the information, some of it which you yourself requested? Is your argument exhausted; in suspense because you feel it baulks your beliefs and related arguments?

This argument is boring and ridiculous. I feel like our exchange has pretty much solidified my original picture of you as a congested douchebag. I've lost faith in you, preechr brother!
=======

Old May 9th, 2006, 10:27 AM       
I'm just really depressed by that. Every time you lose faith in me, another small part of my heart dies. I'm serial.

You spend so much time reading between the lines, kahl. It's too bad you're not very good at it. See, even though we disagree on something, you have to assume each of us THINKS our positions make sense. When you try to read between the lines of my comments, you invariably assume some nonsensical conclusion that has nothing to do with anything I've said.

Try building on what I have actually said rather than building another straw man from nonsense you can easily defeat. I think you'll find that much more fulfilling. Then, you might not feel so depressed and upset.

I have limited time with which to post. I know sometimes you think I'm ignoring you, but generally I'm just working. I drive about 20 hours per week, and I work an additional 40 on average. I am remodeling my house, and I have a pretty big lawn to take care of. That last bit's been hindered some since I found out this past Saturday that somebody decided to liberate my lawnmowers and pretty much everything else I used to keep in my shed.

I've got a lot going on, but I always try to make some time for you, kahl. I would have loved to have spent this time talking about evolution or politics, but instead I've had to explain logical discussion to you. Our little talks are going to have a bit more structure, as I told you before, and I won't be rewarding your flailing rants with additional topicry. When you calm down, we'll continue.

=======

Old May 9th, 2006, 12:40 PM       
Well, I had figured on you responding before lunchtime because it's not like you to pout... Maybe you actually have a life too?

Since somebody else brought it up, I'll try to show how your straw man argument that I simply must believe that the goal of science is to disprove God's existence is false. I will do that by agreeing with you and becoming your straw man...

Personally, I believe that much of our own existence is wrapped up in a competitive struggle with God. The ultimate end to all our endeavors is the defeat of God, and one of our endeavors is science. Now, I need to point out that I am speaking in general terms. I need to do that because I can already hear you arguing that YOU are not struggling to defeat God and neither is a good friend of yours so I must totally be like wrong and a big stinky poopoo head. Then, you'd be all "neener neener" for three pages.

While there are certainly some scientists that actively work to disprove God, just as some non-scientists do, they are not the majority and don't define the path for the scientific community. What I said was that I believe the concept of Common Descent, right or wrong, is easily used as a backbone for a belief system based in the idea that our lives are meaningless, morality is pointless and we are no better than bugs because it's only random chance that we aren't.

Because of that, I PREFER to believe in something else, or more to the point: disbelieve that. It's a very easy thing to do. I don't expect to convince you of anything. I am just trying to satisfy whatever curiosity you guys might have.

Lunchtime's over... Back to work!

BANNED

Old May 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM       
Quote:
What I said was that I believe the concept of Common Descent, right or wrong, is easily used as a backbone for a belief system based in the idea that our lives are meaningless, morality is pointless and we are no better than bugs because it's only random chance that we aren't.

I PREFER to believe in something else, or more to the point: disbelieve that. It's a very easy thing to do.
What you were responding to:
Quote:
Is your argument exhausted; in suspense because you feel it baulks your beliefs and related arguments?
Okay.

"I drive about 20 hours per week, and I work an additional 40 on average."

Quit logging on to tell me what you've been doing that kept you from responding and actually respond. Think, if you combined all that time together you could've posted lengthy articles in response to everyone. Pithyness is good on message board, I've heard. Apparantly it works well for busy people, too.

You've taken time to go completely off-topic to argue your beliefs, which is fine, but your beliefs don't matter in science- not even in government or economy. The beliefs of scientists don't even really matter. There is no belief, really. So can you put your beliefs aside, and examine the evidence as it is, in terms of science and evolution? Remember my detective analogy? Well, pretend you're a detective. And you're trying to solve a "Crime". Now, there's some "Evidence" that contradicts an "Alibi". What do you do?
This works for this conversation, the following, and just about all of the other conversations we have had:
Quote:
I would have loved to have spent this time talking about evolution or politics, but instead I've had to explain logical discussion to you.
Your basis of reality rests entirely on beliefs, to the point of allowing it to interfere with your capacity to analyze nature and reality outside of it. It's sad that the only reason you disagree with common descent is because some people use it to fuel their belief against your belief. That's certainly a solid foundation for logical decision making.
Another thing: Beliefs are illogical, you tart. Have you ever looked up the word logical? Especially in context of this entire argument. Why do you involve your personal beliefs into a logical discussion? I know we asked for it, but all the same, please try not to label it logical. It's atriciously retarded of you.

If you base your entire position in every argument based on your beliefs, it's somewhat commendable but absolutely retarded of you. People like you fuck up the world because they believe stupid shit will help, but since it is sometimes formed to be the opposite of reality it's not exactly going to work out properly. I assume you've heard of this retarded thing called GIGO, but i think it's appropriate here, "Garbage In Garbage Out".
Look, you've even implied here that science and religion are on opposite sides of the coin. I've implied that religion supplies more of a spiritual message(supernatural), with certain sociological systems of morality and purity, while science supplies knowledge on the "natural" and physical aspects of reality. You can't include ridiculously supernatural shit when talking about the physical. By your own admission they explain different sides of reality.
Common descent argues nothing against morality. That's the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard. This is where you're wrong about how it's a sociological thing(which religion also is in this respect).
First off, let me clarify, nearly any concept can be considered "Sociological" just by analyzing the effects it has on society and culture. Which means, in this sense, religion has been VERY influential, especially when you consider the aspect of morality(which you mentioned). It is entirely possible that it may have guided us from being ravenous, retarded animals by supplying us with purpose and a system to keep us from being self-destructive.
Now on to the topic of evolution and sociology. Obviously you've never even heard of Richard Dawkins, who we've discussed before on this board. He says that cultures themselves can evolve, via "memes". Morals are considered a very large portion of culture, and society, because it allows it to be self-maintained without killing itself, which would be considered counter-productive as it would keep it from 'evolving'. Your body does it too, it's kind of like an "Immune system" of sorts to keep your body from getting diseased. That observation of morals is based on obvious sociological effects that can be seen by anybody. Don't you agree that morals themselves are a function to keep us running as a healthy organism, and without some system of control we would just be ravenous animals?
No purpose? Obviously if our culture can evolve, which is something we have a direct influence on since we are a part of it, then morals, and purpose, are still present concepts. You just see too many fields as contradicting eachother, instead of seeing that they are just describing different aspects. Sociology and evolution are not the same study. In some senses, they may overlap. Just like chemistry and biology aren't the same science, but they overlap.

I hope that has been interesting. I understand that I suggested religion has some physical effects, but that's through it's media of humanity, as science's sociological effect was through the human media. I've supplied you with reasons why your stance between the two is pointless in any logical sense. I seriously consider this argument over, but if you want to continue I can keep going.

One thing I'd like to ask you is if you agree that society itself has evolved?

If you really fear belief systems developing against your belief system, my previous observation of you as a paranoid neurotic was appropriate.
Sometimes I can't tell how hard you're playing the strawman. You're an enigma wrapped in a fruitloop.
=======

Old May 9th, 2006, 04:35 PM       
That was one of your best posts! Good Job!

I will respond to it a little later, but I just wanted to let you know I really appreciate all of your efforts there. In my response, I will, of course, argue with you, as you are as mistaken as ever about what I'm thinking, but that's a separate thing from praising you for responding on point and without all the bile.

BANNED

Old May 12th, 2006, 05:02 AM       
So when is this exchange coming now that you've been satisfied by my level of logical argument or whatever madness you're working by.
=======

Old May 12th, 2006, 10:45 PM       
It's on the way.

Don't worry.

BANNED

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:15 PM       
You dirty liar.
BANNED

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:58 AM       
So... preechr, what happened here exactly? One might think that by now, over a month later, you'd have responded.
=======

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:13 AM       
I'm still thinking up new witty remarks and dazzling logical arguments.

Your posts are very important to us. Please hold on, and a response will be right in front of you.

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:30 AM       
Well, you've gone this long without any dazzling logical arguments. Why start now?
=======

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:57 AM       
Good one.

You start holding your breath too.

Dazzle is imminent.

BANNED

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:29 AM       
I like how you try to act like none of us expected you to pussy out of this argument while depositing nothing of interest. You act like I wasn't expecting this, and yet the entire point of this thread is that you're a stupid asshole who has nothing to say.
=======

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:47 AM       
You are probably right.

BANNED

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:48 AM       
I'm always right, that's the other point of this thread.
=======

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM       
Ok then. I accept that.

Now, tell me what to think as far as evolution from a common origin goes, and I will tell you that I believe that from now on.

=======

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:52 AM       
You say we and everything else evolved from space worms, I'm shouting that from the hilltops from now on, Ok?

BANNED

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM       
I never said that, and I would never even insenuate that I know what started life. I'm not really stupid enough to make stupid assumptions unless it's relatively clear that I'm making assumptions. I at least try to follow the laws of the world, how the hell could I know what started life? I wasn't there! (lol same ol pattern eh preechr you never change)
Stupid creationists with your assumptious nature.

If you want arguments for common origin read the link ziggy posted in this thread(good thing I have a crystal clear memory, huh) there was all types of information about it. Have you read it yet? I doubt it.

I'd really like to see you respond to that post you said you'd respond to.
=======

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:28 PM       
My memory seems to think I was most interested in responding to the questions regarding the sociological effects of common descent vs. whatever it is you want to call not-common-descent.

Personally, I believe there is a negative ethical or moral effect to believing that nothing but blind luck made us so far superior to anything else in the world. I prefer a not-common-descent pathway, and I am skeptical of common descent... probably unreasonably so... because I so much prefer the moral and ethical path inferred by intentional existence.

As I said before, I fully understand the argument that common descent could be intentional as well. What I am attempting to do here, by explaining my beliefs to you in this manner, is to allow you the room to consider my beliefs in this regard as religious or even mystical ones. That should help you. I honestly have very little desire at this point to continue explaining to you what I have already said. There's probably not much more I can add, and even less motivation on my part to find it for you.

Currently, I am just a bit more interested in economic and political stuff. Let's just leave this as it is: You whupped my ass. I am wrong, you are right, and I am willing to say that I accept on it's face whatever it is you propose I should believe on this subject.