Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:02 PM       
BUSH APOLOGIZES!!

A day after he stopped short of apologizing, Bush told Jordan's King Abdullah II: "I was sorry for the humiliation suffered by the Iraqi prisoners and the humiliation suffered by their families.

"I told him I was as equally sorry that people seeing those pictures didn't understand the true nature and heart of America," Bush said, standing in the Rose Garden alongside Abdullah.

The president's statement went beyond his comment Wednesday that the abuse of prisoners was "abhorrent" and "does not represent the America that I know."

His lack of an apology Wednesday was striking, and his spokesman said later that the president was sorry. Bush gave voice to that sentiment Thursday.

I smell a FOCUS GROUP!!! Naw, I bet he just plum forgot to apologize on A-rab TV. Or maybe he felt worse about things today. Or maybe he just felt more apologetically inclined standing next to a real, live King.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:57 PM       
Would these Iraqi's have been tortured by Americans if the chambers didn't exist in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
What the hell college did you go to?
Actually, it was my high school, and it made national news. Hazing, and broomsticks have a long history, and while Saddam's sons prefer catal prods, and vats of hot oil, our Americans seem to go with what they know. I wasn't condoning this as "good ole American fun".

Quote:
A lot of good people show a lot of outrage all the time. Amnesty International has a large membership. Read Harold Pinter on Torture.
Good people and their outrage obviously isn't enough. Do nothings like yourself should wonder why Amnesty International is so ineffectual and biased. I haven't read Harold Pinter, so maybe you got one up on me here, but an article, or book is just an article or book. None of the above seemed to stop what happened.

Quote:
I'd gather by you calling this collegiate you think it's no big deal.
Holy dipshit. Do you think the sick perpatrators of this crime thought they were doing dark magic satanic work? I'm pretty sure they thought they were horsing around, and towel snapping, because they were out of their fucking heads. Putting the act in the context of hazing doesn't mean I'm writing it off as merely a hazing incident....besides who the fuck even said I condone hazing or consider anything a "no big deal"? Everything's a big deal to me, that's why I write such long paragraphs. What's wrong with you? I thought you got some diapers.

Quote:
If you don't think it's a stroong argument, why are you making it?
That wasn't my argument, but It should be considered regardless because there is some merit to it. Of course you're such a knee jerk that you think putting Saddam into context with these events is meant to be an excuse, suggesting these people are used to being tortured, so hey "no big deal". We shouldn't minimize what Saddam did, and what happened in Flallujah, because they set the tone for the lack of humanity on that ground. We may have tortured them, but Saddam built the torture chamber.

Quote:
Personally, I think occupying a country and filling it's most notorius torture house with fresh inmates brings out the disturbed kid in a lot of people.
Any weird dreams you wanna confess to?

Quote:
I find the Sudanese behavior outrageous. I'm very much against it. I'm not Sudanese. I am American. My tax money bought the damn wires and ice. If there was any offciial nodding and winking attatched to this, I'm part of it. The outrage of the rest of the world is of interest to me only in that it makes our job that much more impossible and for no good reason.
That's short sighted, and pretty ignorant of the bigger picture. The Sudanese Government and their actions is completely tied to the human rights climate of nations like Iraq, and Suadi Arabia. We have to give money, and get tangled up in their crimes before they become comparable? My point is that this shit goes on all over, and nobody stops it, and the news is filled with it. Our occupation is like sending your kid to a public school cafeteria and making him eat macrobiotic.

Quote:
If in some way Ethnic cleansing in the Congo makes you feel better about this, I don't get it.
See, you think I was trying to downplay or rationalize this. I'm not. It's the opposite, I'm saying there are horrible things on a far greater scale going on everywhere, and it's pretty emberassing that Americans like yourself only care when our zipper gets caught in the act. It's because we allow attoricities to continue daily, and either do nothing, or wait till it's nearly to late, and then argue wether or not it's even our place to step in and do anything, that such inhuman behavior exists in the world. That it's wrong to look at these events, and talk of them in the same vain as Me Lai, because it belittles what's going on.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:48 PM       
abc you seem to be excusing our behavior because others do it.. you think it's ok that we send prisoners to other countries where the interrogation is extremely torturous?

do you think that because saddam killed 1.5 to 3 million iraqis we can go ahead and do the same? we may have killed more iraqis than saddam now if you count gulf war 1, the sanctions(500,000 children alone) and now gulf war 2. but that's ok because the worlds a dangerous place and democracy doesnt come cheap right?

i really can't get over how rummy said we are trying to win the hearts and minds of Iraqis with our techniques. what an ass.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:57 PM       
I thought Thomas Friedman's Op/Ed in today's Time's hit it on the head: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/06/opinion/06FRIE.html

Quote:
I know that tough interrogations are vital in a war against a merciless enemy, but outright torture, or this sexual-humiliation-for-entertainment, is abhorrent. I also know the sort of abuse that went on in Abu Ghraib prison goes on in prisons all over the Arab world every day, as it did under Saddam — without the Arab League or Al Jazeera ever saying a word about it. I know they are shameful hypocrites, but I want my country to behave better — not only because it is America, but also because the war on terrorism is a war of ideas, and to have any chance of winning we must maintain the credibility of our ideas.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:17 PM       
Abcdxx, don't blame me for how poorly you expressed yourself.

"Would these Iraqi's have been tortured by Americans if the chambers didn't exist in the first place?"

Not to put to fine a point on it, but sure. I think the maain reason we are actually over there, as opposed to reasons that might possibly justify us being there, have to do with W. issue with his father and a Neo con jones to flex a little muscle. I don't think any reason we're there has diddly squat to do with Sadaams record of human rights and I think your a baboon if you think there is a relationship.

" Do nothings like yourself"
Oh, oh, the sting. Here's what you know about what I do. Zippo.

"This type of stuff goes on every day unreported, and nobody shows much outrage. "
"Good people and their outrage obviously isn't enough."

Okay, A.) pick an argument, and B.) What's your point? Good people and their outrrage and their money and their lobbying and their votes may be inefectual in the force of lack of compassion, corporate greed and colonialsim, but it's a hell of a lot better than nothing. What have you got in mind, a children's crusade? What exactly would you suggest I 'do', as opposed to being a 'do nothing'. What, exactly do you 'do' about it?

'None of the above seemed to stop what happened. '
Again, what's your suggestion, apart from prolonged mutual wars of attrition.

"Okay, so our corn fed American kids put their own spin on it, and added in some College broomstick up the ass hazing to the mix."
"Putting the act in the context of hazing doesn't mean I'm writing it off as merely a hazing incident"

Again, don't blame me for how poorly you expressed yourself. And for the record, I don't think these folks thought they were towel snapping. Towel snapping and jumping on naked people and beating people to death fall in to different categories. I do not think the cornfed youngsters who did this thought it was all in good fun. I think also that they were encouraged to do it, and I promise you, if that's the case, the intelligence officers who asked that the prisoners be 'softened' don't think of themselves as frat boys even a little. At the very moment you are arguing that this needs to be seen in the continuum of barbaric human behavior, you keep mentioning that it's really not so bad when stacked up against other stuff. Well, yes. So what? It's your assumption other people don't care about Rwandans with their hands cut off and Israelis blown to bits on busses. In a lot of cases your right. I think George bush couldn't possibly care less and I think Sharon doesn't loose much sleep over the deaths of Palestinians or wonders if they were terrorists or not.

"That wasn't my argument, but It should be considered regardless because there is some merit to it."

That wasn't My argument, I just want to write it down a few times and reinforce it becuase I think it has merit but iit's not My argument I just think I'll say it again. It kind of sounds like your argument. C'mon, it's sorta your argument, I mean, you like it a little, right? Your not dating that argument, but youy wouldn't shove it out of bed for eating crackers, would you?

"putting Saddam into context with these events is meant to be an excuse,"
So... what is it, then? It's not an argument, it's not an excuse, it's... what exactly? Are you saying that if I want to feel revulsion for what we did I need to make some kind of official document of every political act of repression taking place on earth that I also find repellent? Is that something you do? I've written about a lot of shit that makes me sick. I write the most about the stuff done in my name as an american citizen. You don't have to agree, but that's the stuff that gets me the most, when bad shit happens and my money went to it and the leader of my country is saying "Hey, I did this for us!" I think that puts the blood on my hands, and that makes it more urgent to me. Do you think your teaching me something about the abominabal things people do to each other? Blow me.

"We shouldn't minimize what Saddam did, and what happened in Flallujah, because they set the tone for the lack of humanity on that ground. We may have tortured them, but Saddam built the torture chamber. "

That argument depends entirely on the idea that our being there is in some way connected with Sadaams brutality, which is utterly bogus. We armed him, we supported him actively when he was killing people we wanted him to kill, and we turned our backs quite happily on his torture chambers, and when we can't get a good confession out of our current prisoners we eexport them to allies who are more willing to torture than we are. Does objecting to what Saddam did minimize Hitler and Pol Pot becuase they were worse? Why not? Are you saying the real estate makes the difference? YOU see this as minimizing Sadaam, not me, bucko. Your desire to equate the two minimizes what we are doing.

"Any weird dreams you wanna confess to?"
No, actually. I was saying that sending young men and women into a war zone and asking them to kill people while they wonder if their going to die makes some of them go fucking nuts. It's a real good reason not to do it unless you have no choice at all. Why? Do you think any of these people would have towel snapped the way they did if they'd stayed home? I'm guessing not.

"We have to give money, and get tangled up in their crimes before they become comparable?"
Comparable? No. Culpable? Yes. I think there are a lot of ways we might effect human rights in the world far more effectively then sending our war machine in and preempting the shit out of them. So far it ain't working.

"Our occupation is like sending your kid to a public school cafeteria and making him eat macrobiotic. "
I'm sorry, maybe it's me, but that metaphor completly escapes me. Got any wierd eating disorders you want to confess to?

"My point is that this shit goes on all over, and nobody stops it"
Okay, A.) How do we 'stop' it, and how is that an argument for not objecting in the strongest possible way to bad shit we do?

" you think I was trying to downplay or rationalize this."
Hmmm, now, where would I get that idea
"I'm saying there are horrible things on a far greater scale going on everywhere,"
Oh, right there.

"it's pretty emberassing that Americans like yourself only care when our zipper gets caught in the act."
Excuse me, what do you know about 'american's like me' and their zippers? Embarassing? What do you mean by that?

"It's because we allow attoricities to continue daily, and either do nothing, or wait till it's nearly to late, and then argue wether or not it's even our place to step in and do anything, that such inhuman behavior exists in the world. "
Again, what are you suggesting? If I'm 'do nothing' what does a 'johnny action man' like you have in mind? 'Cause the white Man's Burden didn't work so well last time around.

"That it's wrong to look at these events, and talk of them in the same vain as Me Lai, because it belittles what's going on."
How? Because in this case we've only killed 14 people? Stop it now, make a big a fucking stink as possible and maybe we won't. I think you using phrases like towel snapping, hazing, and getting your jointstuck in the zipper belittles it. Oh, I know you're four square against all that shit, but it's not like hazing is murder. The comparison is belittling.

"AMERICA! WE TORTURE YOU WAY LESS!"
Mocker

Old May 7th, 2004, 12:35 AM       
" I think you using phrases like towel snapping, hazing, and getting your jointstuck in the zipper belittles it. Oh, I know you're four square against all that shit, but it's not like hazing is murder. The comparison is belittling. "

I didn't call it a hazing incident, I said that the seeds of the act resembled one. It was a cultural observation, not a rationalization or determination. It wasn't meant to condone or even compare acts. It's not even an orginal thought. To put that into context with a harsher outcome, doesn't belittle the actual crime itself. Perhaps you don't know enough about the word "hazing" or it's common usage understanding in relation to worse crimes? Weren't people smiling in some of those pictures? Do you know anything about pyschopathic murderors and their state of mind? Look into it.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with either side of this argument really, so I haven't a clue what fucking insanity you've built in your head. I guess I do agree with the snippet higlighted from Kevin's link though. Mostly though, I'm consumed with the idea that it's all really upsetting and tragic. My comments were meant to express concern that this is a societal problem on an International level, and I take the same concern with this as I do when an American journalist is executed in Iran for his religion, or when Women are executed by stonings as a result of Shar'ia law. It goes on regardless of any occupations involved, and it's something that needs to stop. If you want to think that goes against your concept of the cover up, or that I'm making an excuse for the murders, then you're just really narrow minded. Sometimes people can fight the same cause as you without using the same chanted slogans. Get a grip. I'm obviously not managing to articulate my point here, but you seem more interested in having someone to disagree with anyway. I'm also starting to wonder how bright you are.
Mocker

Old May 7th, 2004, 12:38 AM       
[quote="ranxer"]abc you seem to be excusing our behavior because others do it.. you think it's ok that we send prisoners to other countries where the interrogation is extremely torturous?

I'm saying that because others do it and get away with it on their own soil every day, it provokes a climate where devious minds will attempt the same shit. Got it? Good.
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:48 AM       
yeah once I beat the shit out of my sister with a long chunk of iron. But I didnt get in trouble because I argued if the iron rod wasnt there, it wouldnt have happened in the first place.
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:48 AM       
" To put that into context with a harsher outcome, doesn't belittle the actual crime itself."

Sadaam was bad, but he should be seen in the context of Hitler. Hitler was bad, but should be seen in the context of General Zod.

"Do you know anything about pyschopathic murderors and their state of mind?"
Got an odd dreams you'd like to share? Say, thanks for the education though. is there a degree in condesension?

"I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with either side of this argument really, so I haven't a clue what fucking insanity you've built in your head."
Riiiight. It's just that you find one side of the 'argument' 'freakish'. Are you familiair with backpeddling? You should look into it. I hear they offer a joint major with condesension.

"My comments were meant to express concern that this is a societal problem on an International level, and I take the same concern with this as I do when an American journalist is executed in Iran for his religion, or when Women are executed by stonings as a result of Shar'ia law. It goes on regardless of any occupations involved, and it's something that needs to stop."

And for the first time you express that point with a modicum of clarity. Don't blame me for your writing.

"Sometimes people can fight the same cause as you without using the same chanted slogans. "
I like that. Chanted slogans. Everyone chant along now. Unless I'm chanting alone. is there some chant you think I'm chanting wityh other chanters, because I haven't a clue what fucking insanity you've built in your head.

"I'm obviously not managing to articulate my point here,"
Yes
" but you seem more interested in having someone to disagree with anyway."
I found your subtext (ok, sure, this is really really bad what we did, but come on, it's nowhere near bad as all kinds of stuff other poeple do all the time.) disturbing. I've often treated you with respect over ideas we strongly disagree about. If that subtext was the opposite of what you meant I'm happy to leave it. But I don't think that undertone was question of 'how bright you are'. I think it's there, wether you care to face it or not. I'm familiar enough with arrogance to know it when I see it.

"I'm saying that because others do it and get away with it on their own soil every day, it provokes a climate where devious minds will attempt the same shit. "
So, are you saying
A.) people are bad
or
B.) We must stop the bad people!

What have you got in mind? I think the first thing to do to stop the badness is react swiftly and harshly to our own badness. I'm 'missing the larger picture'? Paint it for me.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM       
Mesobe actually just made a very good statement.
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:10 PM       
"We were dealing here with a broad pattern, not individual acts. There was a pattern and a system," said Pierre Kraehenbuehl, director of operations for the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Answering a question many lawmakers have posed, he said the abuse went beyond detainees held at the Abu Ghraib prison in the Baghdad area.

the ICRC said prisoners at Abu Ghraib were held naked in empty cells and beaten by soldiers. Three former military policemen at the prison told Reuters Thursday that abuse was commonplace.

The humanitarian group also said coalition forces fired on unarmed prisoners from watchtowers and killed some of them, as well as committing "serious violations" of the Geneva Conventions governing treatment of war prisoners.

-AP wire
my baby's mama
glowbelly is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:25 PM       
this shit makes me so sad. i think as a country, america needs to collectively bow our heads and apologize for what has happened.

there's just no excuse for any of it.
Mocker

Old May 7th, 2004, 02:49 PM       
If this is a corruption and ethics issue, I'm more concerned with the ethics downfall at large.

It's very important we take reponsibility, and are outraged for whatever injustice goes on at the hands of our own people, but it's a good time to bring attention towards the horrors that go on everyday.

Saddam's abuses are relevant because he utilized torture tactics as a major method to keep control over various factions. The more things spiral out of control there, the more people have started to theorize that Iraqi's are used to a heavy hand. This isn't why Americans tortured Iraqis, but it should be noted that there is a desperation approaching.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:36 PM       
This sounds really ignorant, but Why did bush apologize to the king of Jordan?

I don't think the peopel who don't like us in the middle east will ever like us, in this generation. They will always try to say that america is/was wrong. If they kill american soldiers they will say that america was weak and shouldn't have come to iraq, but if we kill some of there people they say that america is barbaric and shouldn't have come to iraq. There really isn't a way to win.

It doesn't make us killing anymore right because doing things like this won't really get us anywhere with arabs. And any form of sexual degrading is serious in the middle east and is anywhere for that case. You can't really ignore the fact that people were being put in sexual stances and forced to do other things they didn't want. Which looks really bad to people who are so iffy about these things...
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:24 PM       
I'm sick of the hypocrisy and having to serve as the "example" to the world in combat etiquette while the other side slaps our troops in the face daily and we have to take it and turn the other cheek. Then again, we ARE the occupying force which arrived unasked for. Man, this stuff is frustrating!

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker

Old May 7th, 2004, 05:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruU2wice
This sounds really ignorant, but Why did bush apologize to the king of Jordan?
Because we violated our agreement that we'd send Jordan all the prisoners we wanted tortured so he could do it?
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:34 PM       
My sounds pretty much like he's going to go with the 'few bad appes' scenario. I think that's pretty damn lame, concidering what the Red Cross had to say, not to mention Taguba. To my ear, his testimony sounded like he was just pretending those statements and documents aren't out there.

In addition, he stated for the record there was more to come. How much more, do you think? And if it was 'just a few bad apples' how did they mnage to generate so much material with none of the good apples stopping them for such a long time? For that matter, how about we get som outside observers in there to make sure it has all stopped?
Mocker

Old May 8th, 2004, 12:51 AM       
Well that's some logic there Burbank. I guess that means all Muslims are terrorists, all Blacks are gangbangers, all Irish drink green beer, and blah blah blah.
my baby's mama
glowbelly is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:43 AM       
i was under the impression that the military was a command chain. that the lower ranks received orders from the higher ranks and then those commands were carried out. it's not a far stretch to assume that someone was ordering this stuff to happen.

i think that's what max is getting at here.
Resident Chimp
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:10 AM       
There's an article in the paper about one of the female soldiers (Sabrina somethingorother) claiming that she was "just following orders."

It's already been shown in the past that you are very close to guiltless if you are "following orders," and that it's the CO's fault. But, if the person or persons who were handing out the orders can't be found, then these soldiers will be raked over the coals even more.

There was another article about how another woman's family is claiming that their daughter wasn't smiling about torturing Iraqi's, but was smiling at the person behind the camera.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM       
I like the one that claims she was at the wrong place at the wrong time in like 12 different pictures. It turns out she was pointing at the wrong people in front of the worng camera, too.

Conan did a lil sketch on it and it was pretty funny :/
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
BUT....I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.
It's like Rush said: those kids were just blowing off some steam!
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:06 PM       
yea and like rummy said last year .. 'war is messy<shrug>, next question.

atrocities have been under reported since like day one of the war..
things like missles off the mark.. oops sorry, a dozen or so civies were splattered hundreds affected.. war is messy. that's ok, its for a good cause.. each atrocity has a name and a family.. each 'accident' that is virtually a statistical known beforehand creates unimaginable suffering.. and we expect them to let us say 'ok now PEACE you will be DEMOCRATIC or get MORE SUFFERING cause we're serious youknow, look here's some more how serious we are in the face <splatter> you who are left will sit down, shut up, be western or you'll get some more defence of freedom in the ass! haha

so now its overblown! as my local rep repeated yesterday the old 'the media is focusing on the negative blabla' war is messy.

dammit, we are creating NEW enemies with our cowboy foreign policy

here's a perspective that doesn't get enough attention: checkout 'can a nation lose its soul? http://www.ctschicago.edu/pdf/Nation_5-4-04.pdf

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:29 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
I thought Thomas Friedman's Op/Ed in today's Time's hit it on the head: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/06/opinion/06FRIE.html

Quote:
I know that tough interrogations are vital in a war against a merciless enemy, but outright torture, or this sexual-humiliation-for-entertainment, is abhorrent. I also know the sort of abuse that went on in Abu Ghraib prison goes on in prisons all over the Arab world every day, as it did under Saddam — without the Arab League or Al Jazeera ever saying a word about it. I know they are shameful hypocrites, but I want my country to behave better — not only because it is America, but also because the war on terrorism is a war of ideas, and to have any chance of winning we must maintain the credibility of our ideas.
You would think anything that was written in a leftist point would "hit it on the head".

Shut the fuck up, Kevin. There are too many lefties on this board that make you useless.
Resident Chimp
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:38 PM       
Friedman isn't a liberal. :/