Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 02:11 AM       
Ya I get it. Its a very interesting point.

Though I feel most would dismiss it as a misenterpretation of their religion/lack of religion/whatever and state that their belifs are correct and only theirs. (I do see the fallacy in this reasoning, but I doubt most would, at least initially).
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 01:46 PM        Bible
If you want a to learn more about the bible and what it means, go back through some of Italian Sterotypes posts. He not only can quote and reference the bible, but historical facts that support it as well. But even more importantly he understand and believes the meanings behind the words. When he speakes of his faith you have to understand that it is as deep and real as if you were feeling the most potent emotion.
And if you happen to decide to ask him some questions, be careful not to step on his faith. His answers are not the typical "because the bible said so" answers and his faith is not lip service.
This goes for Ror too.

Just try to remember when you ask questions to really listen to the answers and look for the meaning lke you did with me towards the end. You will learn a heck of a lot if you do.

imported_Wicked Steve is probably a spambot
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 02:09 PM       
The issue I have with biblical apologists is that they so rarely seem to take into account the time when the Bible was written. I hear people equating the big bang with "In the beginning, God created Heaven and Earth," and that six days was a metaphor for several billions of years...but these are relatively new ideas. Thousands of years ago, when the Bible was written and compiled, who had any idea about the big bang theory, or the age of the universe? Doesn't it seem far, far more likely that they literally believed what they said, and were too busy recording what they thought was the truth than to deal in symbolism and analogy, especially given that, for many centuries, most people were uneducated and wouldn't understand that sort of thing? If they thought creation really took a long, long time, why wouldn't they just write that it did? Or were they trying to make all-powerful God seem even more powerful by making him work faster?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:32 PM       
Except back then all the schitzophrenic people talked to God, and therefore God told them how it was. The only "Faults" in this aspect is Perception, which could account for "Six days".
Besides, who the fuck wants to sit around and go, "In the first one thousand years God created a speck of dust in the Alpha quadrant, this marked the begining of the universe as we know it!" "In the 3,000th year God made the first hydrogen atom, this was the begining of a fabulous star!" "THEN IN 5,000 ANOTHER SPEC OF DUST WAS FORMED AND IT BECAME FRIENDS WITH THE FIRST AND THEY MADE A SMALL CLUMP OF DUST THE APROXIMATE SIZE OF A HAIR FOLICLE AND THEY HAD CHILDREN AND LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER"

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:43 PM       
This goes back to what I said about modern vs. ancient knowledge. They didn't know anything about the universe or hydrogen atoms or anything. They knew Heaven, Earth, and nothing else - stars were just lights from Heaven, and Earth was the only place God was really concerned with (as far as they knew).

What makes the people who talked to God schizophrenic, and furthermore, what does their perception have to do with what God told them about creation (obviously, they couldn't have been around to see it for themselves)? Again, why would God tell them he created everything in six days if it really took him a very long time? Did he want them to feel Earth was more special than it really was? Did he think they wouldn't be able to comprehend billions of years?

Finally, who wants to sit around and go, "and this is the lineage of [Adam/Noah/David/whover]?" Same boredom factor, to me.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:56 PM       
"what does their perception have to do with what God told them about creation"

The same way what I told you was dismissed, obviously.

And yes, they didn't have knowledge of Hydrogen or dust. I don't think the Feather duster was invented till like 900 ad. Of course, you didnt understand that it was changed from ancient knowledge to modern knowledge, not only by removing the six days but by inserting crappy scientific leverage that obviously made little regard. Right? RIGHT? Right.

Again, why would God tell them he created everything in six days if it really took him a very long time?

Maybe God stays awake for a smillion years at a time, then goes to sleep. Days on earth are related to the sun, but God doesnt live on Earth(he's everywhere, maybe a day to him is a turn of the universe or something). His perception of days and time are different, just like someone who lives on mars would have different length days.

Maybe it's just divided like that for orderly functions, I mean really. Do you want a history of creation to memorize? 100001091828037100108334718038417830 bc, First star created. Remember that, I expect you to know that whole number by heart when you are quized, also the molecular density and structure of the star. Have a good day, don't forget to read page 98716838111737719371938041 chapter 87 of your Creation History Computer Harddrive.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:04 PM       
I declare this thread over.

Vibe: Maybe if it wasn't for their utter hubris, I could carry on a normal conversation with either of them. :/
BANNED

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:06 PM       
The word Hubris is like a trend here.

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:07 PM       
Forgive me for not catching on, and I'm not trying to argue, but the first half of your post didn't sound like it had anything to do with what we were talking about.

The second half I get. But.

I was thinking God would either cater to the people's level of thinking and tell them exactly what happened in terms they would understand or not bother to tell them at all. He would have known how long they thought a day was, so even if a "day" is a longer time to him, he wouldn't call a million years a day when talking to humans because they wouldn't understand.
BANNED

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:16 PM       
I honestly doubt they would have understood either way, if people could actually understand God I wonder at the miracles of the Crusade and other forms of suffering.

The original point I was attempting to make, in fact, was that whoever God told could have misentrepted his word. Perception, you see. Though, maybe they saw it through his eyes, the days and nights. And if I remember correctly God didnt even create the days and nights till like the fourth day or something, so the days can't have anything to do with earthly values.

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:19 PM       
That's a better explanation than any I've heard so far..I feel slightly more enlightened now. Thanks.
BANNED

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:21 PM       
I'm talking out of my ass too. That's how I operate, though. By ass.