Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:32 PM        Congressman calling for impeachment hearings against Cheney
http://www.belleville.com/mld/newsdemocrat/7749791.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Tue, Jan. 20, 2004

Costello pushes hearings on Cheney
BY BETH HUNDSDORFER
bhundsdorfer@bnd.com

U.S. Rep Jerry Costello has called for impeachment hearings against U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney during Congress' session that begins today.

Costello called for hearings Saturday while on the Iowa caucus campaign trail with fellow U.S. House of Representatives member and presidential candidate Dick Gephardt, according to the Drudge Report.

Costello questioned the award of billions of dollars of contracts to Cheney's former corporation Haliburton to extinguish fires and rebuild Iraq's oil infrastructure after the war.

"Can you imagine what the Republicans would be doing to a Democratic president who was a CEO of a company that now has gotten billions of dollars worth of contracts -- no-bid contracts -- without competition?" Costello, D-Belleville, was quoted as saying.

"There would be hearings day after day. And my prediction to you is that you will see in this session of Congress ..., there will not only be hearings, but I think there ought to be impeachment hearings."

So far, Haliburton has earned more than $2 billion from the war contracts.

Cheney headed Haliburton from 1995 to 2000, when he quit to become George W. Bush's running mate.

Costello delivered the speech at the Sundance Lodge in Clinton, Iowa, on Saturday afternoon after Gephardt's plane was grounded due to the fog.

Costello, who was in Burlington, Iowa, on Monday, could not be reached for comment Monday.

Bob Krajnovich, who hosted the event for Gephardt, said he heard Costello's speech.

"He talked about the war contracts at the end, when he was taking questions from the audience. He was really fired up," Krajnovich said.

An audience member also asked Costello about a meeting between then-energy trading giant Enron officials and Cheney -- just as Cheney was forming energy policy.

The General Accounting Agency sued Cheney after he refused to release documents about who and when he met with before formulating the country's energy policy.

The U.S. Supreme Court recently decided to hear Cheney's appeal.

The Los Angeles Times reported Saturday that Cheney spent last week duck hunting in Louisiana with one of the Supreme Court Justices who may decide the case -- U.S. Supreme Court Judge Antonin Scalia.

Costello, who serves on the energy subcommittee, was elected to Congress in 1988.

phnompehn is probably a spambot
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:38 PM       
If it was a serious threat to him, he would step down. I doubt this will ever materialize though.

Of course, in the past, people have been impeached over much less.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:43 PM       
Those ducks were a threat to Chenney, and look what happened to them.

Seriously, what is it with that man and killing birds? Someone ought to tally his annual bird kill. I think he has some sort of bird issues.
Will chop you good.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:43 PM       
You're probably right. It's awfully nice to think about it, though.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:53 PM       
Why? Bush would end up dismissing him, which would lead to a mixed set of opinions in the public, and then Bush would sweep Condi Rice up in order to cement victory in 2004.
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:57 PM       
http://www.i-mockery.net/viewtopic.php?t=8842
Will chop you good.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:05 PM       
Boy, thanks for that keen analysis, OAO!!! Gee, is there anything you don't know?
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:07 PM       
Yeah, except that is all based on speculation.

You guys need to worry more about the Bush family. It all began with Prescott and ties to the intelligence community...