Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 11:32 PM       
Quote:
someone should tell that dude he's missing his pants
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 11:43 PM       
ugghh. i bet if i stuck him under a magnifying glass he'd melt.

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM       
desiring metrosexuals is only appropriate if you, too, are male
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 11:52 PM       
i just like normal guys, they're soft and warm and great! the ones like those dudes are gross and not gentle and probably really smelly.

i also don't think it's a coincidence that every guy i've met that looks like that seems to borderline retarded. normal is better.

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
was never good
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 11:54 PM       
we'll see how you feel when i'm intercontinental champion.
Mocker
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM       
i don't know what that means, but i'm pretty sure you'd still be all of the things aforementioned, so. wouldn't change anything. sorry

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 12:00 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
we'll see how you feel when i'm intercontinental champion.
Sorry, we don't job to chumps at the Palace of Wisdom.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 12:17 AM       
CHOJIN HEARS VOICES IN HIS HEAD
THEY TELL HIM TO WORK OUT AND HE UNDERSTANDS
was never good
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 12:32 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by elx View Post
i don't know what that means, but i'm pretty sure you'd still be all of the things aforementioned, so. wouldn't change anything. sorry
well i never
Thrills and Oblongs
Shrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:25 AM       
If I want to get fit and muscly, which way round should I do it? Weights first, then cardio for heart rate and stuff? Or t'other way round?

Or a nice combo of both?
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 12:34 PM       
you could try reading the thread
was never good
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM       
Shrub - eat at a caloric deficit and do strength training with a TINY bit of cardio (30 mins/day max on days you don't lift). Then when you're at a very low bodyfat %, increase your calorie intake to about 1,000 kcal over maintainence. The whole time, keep your protein intake high.

Dieting (any of Lyle McDonald's books are good):
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4628392/Fitness.rar

Strength training (just watch the videos):
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4776...ook_and_DVDrip

If you're looking to get jakked Shrub, buy some whey protein and casein protein. Take a scoop of whey immediately before and after your exercises, and take a scoop of casein before you go to sleep.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:08 PM       
So like sometimes when I go running/do cardio for long periods of time the next day I feel like my muscles hurt MUCH THE SAME WAY IT WOULD AFTER DOING STRENGTH TRAINING, except its all over instead of some specific locale.

so I'm theoretically burning just as many calories from "Repairing" my muscles with cardio as I am with strength training. Also once you get to the point that you're no longer increasing the weight of the weights, wouldn't you no longer rip your muscles as much meaning they wouldn't be healing as much on the offtimes/burning calories?

:O
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM       
HEY SHRUBFEST I HAVE SOME SUGGESTED CARDIO THAT YOU AND I COULD WORK ON.
was never good
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 11:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
So like sometimes when I go running/do cardio for long periods of time the next day I feel like my muscles hurt MUCH THE SAME WAY IT WOULD AFTER DOING STRENGTH TRAINING, except its all over instead of some specific locale.
except most of that pain is lactic acid buildup, and you'd get the same "overall hurt" effect if you used compound lifts like squats/deadlifts/other olympic lifts instead of using nautilus machines like a faggot

Quote:
so I'm theoretically burning just as many calories from "Repairing" my muscles with cardio as I am with strength training.
lol no

okay, maybe during week 1

Quote:
Also once you get to the point that you're no longer increasing the weight of the weights, wouldn't you no longer rip your muscles as much meaning they wouldn't be healing as much on the offtimes/burning calories?
The idea is that you'd still want to try to lift beyond capacity, but not eat enough to give your muscles the power ot grow back bigger, just enough to repair themselves.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 12:51 AM       
Man, staying fat is just so much easier than reading through this whole thread.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
was never good
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 03:11 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
Man, staying fat is just so much easier than reading through this whole thread.
that's why it's so popular in america
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM       
Also cardio is kinda like strength training in that there's a bunch of different types you can do. I can do running one week, get my body all fucked up and let it repair itself, then do intensive yoga the next week and have the same thing happen.

Hell by this ripping/repairing logic I could seriously do some hardcore stretching to burn some calories.
I doubt that repairing muscles really burns many calories compared to cardio ;/

fuck instead of waiting around for your body to repair itself, with cardio you could just run every day if you're in good enough shape. I'm sure that would burn more than letting your muscles repair.
was never good
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 05:47 PM       
well shit, if we're just going to throw science out the window, weight training will also cause ponies to appear at your door. You must then squat them.
BANNED

Old Nov 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM       
Shit science was already thrown out the window cause apparently logic makes you spew red herrings from your bosom like some kind of fat woman circus host.
BANNED

Old Nov 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM       
Quote:
Resting Energy Expenditure, or REE, was also used as an indicator of exercise effectiveness. REE is important as it accounts for the body’s use of calories during periods of non-activity and helps to prevent weight gain (Hunter, et al., 2006). Multiple studies suggest that aerobic training is significantly more successful at improving REE. As sixty minutes of cardio had already been shown to increase REE for up to twenty hours following a workout and LBM, often associated with strength training, was a known contributor to caloric consumption, both aerobic and resistance training were measured to see determine their effect on REE after forty minutes of activity. Forty-five women were randomly divided into a control (non-exercise) group and two exercise groups and put a specific diet for twenty-five weeks while the exercise groups participated in their respective activity. The levels of REE were measured at nineteen, forty-three, and sixty-seven hours post-exercise following a twelve hour fast. The aerobic training group showed a significant increase. A fifty kilocalorie difference was found between nineteen and forty-three hours and a thirty-four kilocalorie difference between forty-three and sixty-seven hours for the aerobic training (Hunter, et al., 2006). Resistance training, on the other hand, showed no significant change in REE. Such has been demonstrated on multiple occasions including another study involving overweight women, in which resistance training actually reduced REE (Wadden, et al., 1997). Yet, it is important to note that researchers suggest that this may have been due to the level of the workout experienced by the resistance group as strenuous strength training has been shown to increase REE more than moderately intense cardio workouts fourteen hours post-activity (Hunter, et al., 2006
Ihope your PRECIOUS science can handle THAT.
Even the last sentence says you have to put in a shitload of work to your weight lifting for it to be worthwhile. I'm sure if people sprinted instead of jogged, though, they'd get a similar affect.
was never good
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM       
Source?
Also:

Quote:
Yet, it is important to note that researchers suggest that this may have been due to the level of the workout experienced by the resistance group as strenuous strength training has been shown to increase REE more than moderately intense cardio workouts fourteen hours post-activity
How many people do you see SPRINTING in the gym, as opposed to fucking around for 40 minutes while watching the news? Conversely, how many people do you see not lifting to failure in the gym?

When it comes to lifting, it's pretty much 'do or not do', it would actually take some effort to have a 'moderately intense' lifting program. Or I guess you could just leave after one set.
BANNED

Old Nov 16th, 2009, 07:56 PM       
First off, I don't go to the gym.

Secondly, it has intext citations but I got it from here http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.ed...erciseComp.htm

i guess you could have a moderately intense lifting program if you did it really slowly with not very heavy weights for a short period of time.
was never good
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM       
I know you're trolling, but there is no way that any cardio exercise outside of HIIT or Tabata training is going to come close to the level of muscular repair that lifting weights will set in motion. Swimming is the best and most effective form of cardio, yet you will notice that olympic swimmers are not JAKKED - they are tiny, with low amounts of bodyfat.

I mean, if that were the case, why would anyone lift weights at all? Least of all bodybuilders?
BANNED

Old Nov 16th, 2009, 08:58 PM       
I didn't say it would reach that level, I just said it may reach a level high enough that combined with the normal benefits of cardio exercise it may exceed the weight loss benefits of strength training.

Plus that website said cardio is better for the amount of calories you lose when you're not exercising (over the short term).