Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 08:47 PM       
As Irish as Danny Kaye.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 08:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongi View Post
uh if you're not feeling mentally sound i don't think alcohol is going to help you
If I go a day without suicidal ideations, then I'm not myself, unfortunately. It's not even depression at this point, so I'm going to drop this conversation. Everyone knows I'm a down fuck already, so no reason to say more.

I'M GETTING A ROLL OF REDSCALE FILM DEVELOPED TODAY. I HOPE THE IMAGES TURN OUT. ALSO BUYING A RAZOR AND GETTING A JOB AT A PIZZA JOINT.

WORKING AT A PIZZA JOINT WAS ONE OF MY LIFE GOALS, IF ANYONE WAS KEEPING SCORE. MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:00 PM       
irishness aside, I objected to being called dirty.

You are a down fuck, FZ, but most creative people are.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:13 PM       
I have been depressed like my entire life but only recently have I sort of gotten over it. Making yourself super busy and surrounded by people who are way more intelligent than you kind of distracts you from how much you hate yourself.

In my case, at least
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM       
man this thread is kind of a bummer right now

There we go
Banned

Pram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram Maven
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongi View Post
hahaha pram maven is back guys, after like one day!
I was figuring out your SPAM problem and analyzing what caused it. Milhouse should have the answer now, unless he reverse-Rongi'd me.
Banned

Pram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram Maven
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:34 PM       
later.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM       
seriously guys, pram has left here like a bajillion times and said he was never coming back and he was going to kill himself and blah blah blah. shouldn't he be banned by now for such tomfoolery?

I know I've left here a bunch of times in a huff but keep in mind I was also like 15 years old. Pram is a grown ass man and this is kind of embarassing
Banned

Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by prammaven View Post
I figured out your spam problem in terms of why it is happening and how you can stop it cold.

First, why it is happening: when you linked to my thread in your sigs, the resulting link juice was building up and interpreted as spam by... you guessed it, SPAMMERS!

They saw all those thousands of yummy backlinks from I-mockery to Google to mean that the I-mockery/forum was A) very popular, B) very trusted by Google, and C) very vulnerable to being spammed. In essence, they saw SERIOUS LINK JUICE to exploit, and when they discovered those links were influencing Google's SERPS, they started posting. They may even have piggybacked on the backlinks.

To fix this, all you need to do is:

1. Place a "no follow" attribute in the source code of the front page of the forum; and

2. Make threads and posts invisible to anyone not logged in. You could technically make the thread titles still visible, but spammers could still use the keywords to target I-mockery or its affiliate sites and outgoing links. As long as the "no follow" tag is on the forum but not on the site itself, it will still be easy for people to find both the site and the forum on Google.

In the meantime, disabling posts signatures to posters not logged in will stop *most* of the spam. Those other two things will stop it all the way. This is what I discovered we could do on another forum I was on and it really worked.

I realize this will interfere with your ability to Google bomb me from I-mockery, but you can't have it both ways. Either torment me through your sigs, or put up with the SPAM that you are unintentionally generating.

I did not encourage this situation, it just sort of happened concurrently with my exit. Consider it "The Pram Maven Curse". Anyway, all of the above info should keep your spammers at bay.

Good luck,

Don Carlson
PROBLEM SOLVER
Seriously... Do it.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:42 PM       
Welp
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:42 PM       
how about a more advanced captcha instead

i don't want to lose all of our precious google links
Level 29 ♂
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashO View Post
wat

PS: see you tomorrow.
would give you a pickle, but
Banned

Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post

That won't work because a human can still join the site manually and automate their posts. It doesn't take much to set up a site. You have to hide the very reasons a spammer would want to advertise here, and that means killing the backlinks, which are a form of spam themselves (if only self-referential spam).

In summary, the Google links are what are encouraging the spammers in the first place.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post

i didn't even know spambot technology has evolved to the point where captchas are now kind of useless.

is it possible that there are a bunch of chinese/indian people filling out those captchas and writing those ads themselves?
Level 29 ♂
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:48 PM       
PROBLEM SOLVER
Banned

Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM       
Also, just in case you think I said that to rescue my search results, I've moved on and don't post as "Pram Maven", "prammaven", or "Don Carlson" anymore. The only thing I have to gain in this is the good feeling that comes from helping someone who is struggling.
Banned

Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:53 PM       
With that, I'm out. -|-
Level 29 ♂
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pram Maven View Post
Also, just in case you think I said that to rescue my search results, I've moved on and don't post as "Pram Maven", "prammaven", or "Don Carlson" anymore. The only thing I have to gain in this is the good feeling that comes from helping someone who is struggling.

Level 29 ♂
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:54 PM       
Quote:
With that, I'm out. -|-
Alright dude looking forward to tomorrow's post.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 10:13 PM       
Quote:
With that, I'm out. -|-
Don't believe it for a second.

Funny thing is that if he just let it go and posted what he knew (which is not funny) he would probably not get targeted so much.

Just my opinion, thinking out loud. He probably won't read this anyway.
You may already be there.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 10:27 PM       
I THOUGHT THIS SHIT WAS OVER?
I AM AN IGNORANT FUCK.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 11:03 PM       
YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 11:04 PM       
TIME TO GET SHITFACED. NO BABY OR GIRLFRIEND.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 11:07 PM       
QUIDDITCH MUGGINGS
SKATASTIC
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 11:23 PM       
MUGDITCH QUIGINS

Fathom, did you get the Beta for BF3?