Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM        Eating Fast Food Without Getting Fat
I think I'm going to move the fitness & health part of "Sports & Fitness" forum over here. Mostly because no one uses the sports forum, and if they do they aren't especially concerned about their own health.

Anyway, here's something I do when I go to subway: Instead of getting a foot-long sub, I get a 6" sub with double meat and cheese. Reason being, I get the same stuff with half the bread (and therefore half the starches). Here's how it shakes out:

12" chicken breast sub w/ cheese ($5.00)
kcal 827 | fat 23 | carbs 85 | protein 62
(30% kcal from protein)

6" chicken breast sub w/ double meat and cheese (~$5.30)
kcal 577 | fat 18 | carbs 46 | protein 52
(36% kcal from protein)

To compare:
McDonalds Big Mac (~$3)
kcal 590 | fat 34 | carbs 44 | protein 24
(16% kcal from protein)

Doing it my way, the total calorie content of the sandwich is 30% less, with only 16% less protein (and a LOT less carbs and fat). Also, it's a more efficient way to eat protein. Remember that a big mac is 600 kcal, which means that a 12" sub is actually 38% more fattening than a big mac (the big mac has many fewer carbs but a lot more fat. waaaay less protein, though).

The goal of dietary change (not to be confused with dieting) is to increase your protein ratio while eating at maintenance or slightly under maintenance. This makes eating a doubled 6" sub a pretty good fast food choice, all things considered.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:07 PM       
I've started buying those super thin bread circle thingies. I never thought I would ever get away from eating bread so much, but it seems like once you get it out of your system, it isn't so bad.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:08 PM       
The KFC Double Down

KFC Grilled Double Down ($5.50)
kcal 460 | fat 23 | carbs 3 | protein 61
(53% kcal from protein)

KFC Original Double Down ($5.50)
kcal 540 | fat 32 | carbs 10 | protein 53
(39% kcal from protein)

The KFC double down is actually pretty fucking awesome as fast food goes. It's marketed as an awful abomination of fatness and slop, but even the non-grilled double down isn't all that bad. The grilled double-down is an EXTREMELY efficient source of protein. Both sandwiches do have a lot of sodium, but that's because it's fast food and therefore loaded with preservatives. You'll be fine as long as you don't have retarded blood pressure.

Just get it with a diet coke and without fries. Would recommend.
was never good
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
I've started buying those super thin bread circle thingies. I never thought I would ever get away from eating bread so much, but it seems like once you get it out of your system, it isn't so bad.
If you're doing that at Subway, you're not doing yourself any favors by switching to thinner bread. Their wraps and flatbreads have the same carb count as their 6" sandwich breads and actually contain more calories and fat.

http://www.subway.com/applications/N...px?id=breadtop
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM       
I still can't believe they made a chicken sandwich like the double down. I have tried wendy's baconator though and not died yet.
was never good
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost View Post
I still can't believe they made a chicken sandwich like the double down. I have tried wendy's baconator though and not died yet.
the double down is delicious as hell, too. i haven't tried the grilled one yet, but the original one was rad.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM       
I have high blood pressure but that hasn't stopped me from eating other horrible things.
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:55 PM       
You people are eating shit and chemicals. Always insist on Boars Head cold cuts and you will live longer and fart less.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:10 AM       
Was chattin' about this with Chojin the other night.

Chicken seems to be the best thing to eat. I mean, as far as fast food goes. Also, BK's veggie burger is okay. A bit weird, and they shouldn't really call it a burger, but it's okay with a ton of barbecue sauce.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:40 AM       
I eat the odd subway when I am rushed for time, interesting to know about the wraps, but I eat pretty much whatever I want until I can't eat anymore.

My favourite subway is a 30.48cm long meatball on Italian bread, extra old English cheese, lots of jalapeņos and a little bit of Chipotle sauce.

I don't eat that everyday. Mostly it's a curry or two backed up with some pasta. I would say I eat chicken the most, then beef, then fish.

I stopped going to KFC, McDonalds a few years back after it was exacerbating my migraines and making me feel sick in general.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:08 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
30.48cm long meatball
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
the double down is delicious as hell, too. i haven't tried the grilled one yet, but the original one was rad.
I must admit I both ate and enjoyed a couple of them myself... despite the fact that my arteries clogged from hearing about it. That conversation when something like this:

KC speaker: Welcome to KFC, may I take your order

Me: Yeah, what's the deal with this double down thing?

KFC speaker: It is 2 chicken breasts with bacon, 2 kinds of cheese and sauce between them

Me: Jesus! That sounds like it would kill me if I looked at it.... so I better go ahead and order one
was never good
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM       
That's the thing though--people have this idea that it's a food for outrageous fatties, but all things considered you could do a hell of a lot worse than the double down. The grilled version is practically a diet food.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM       
The grilled version is actually worse for you, calorie for calorie. Also, the Baconator is far worse. Big Macs look awesome by comparison. I gotta find the link to the little study.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
That's the thing though--people have this idea that it's a food for outrageous fatties, but all things considered you could do a hell of a lot worse than the double down. The grilled version is practically a diet food.
Once I actually did my research I found out that fact. It almost ruins its fun though
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:18 PM       

frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:12 PM       
Well, if you accept the premise that more fat, sodium, and cholesterol = bad, then the Grilled Double Down is worse.

It has less fat, but far more sodium and cholesterol. If fat is all you're worried about, it's... better. I guess.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old May 9th, 2010, 12:56 AM       
Hmmm, I assumed the grilled one would have less sodium and cholesterol too. You live you learn

Would have helped if the first time I looked at the color breakdown key too I guess
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 9th, 2010, 02:21 AM       
You can just feel the grease sliding off of the grilled one. I like KFC's grilled chicken more than their fried chicken, so I was weirded out by that.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM       
God damn you bastards I want a Sonic Jalapeņo Cheeseburger now.
hAS RUG-BURN
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:51 AM       
Sonic tastes like styrofoam.
hAS RUG-BURN
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM       
Don't you people have delis where you live? You know, actual real food?
was never good
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
Well, if you accept the premise that more fat, sodium, and cholesterol = bad, then the Grilled Double Down is worse.

It has less fat, but far more sodium and cholesterol. If fat is all you're worried about, it's... better. I guess.
wat

None of those things are bad for you. Also, your gay little chart completely ignores carbohydrate and protein content, and protein content per calorie is by fucking far the most salient part of nutritional information. Did you even look at the breakdowns I posted? The grilled double down is more than half protein, which is outrageously awesome for fast food. you would have to eat something like 3 or 4 big macs to get the same protein content.

I've mentioned it before in another thread (or in this one, too lazy to check), but limiting cholesterol is something that moms do because they read about it in cosmo. Your body needs a certain amount of cholesterol and can make 100% of the amount it needs, BUT it will compensate by lowering its output if you consume cholesterol. In other words, don't worry about cholesterol ever because you will never eat enough of it to surpass the amount your body is supposed to handle. Unless you're a true american and eat like 4+ baconaters a day, in which case you probably aren't too concerned about 'nutritional information' to begin with.

Sodium content could be a concern. That is, if you weren't ALREADY EATING FAST FUCKING FOOD AND ARE GOING TO GET A TRUCKLOAD OF THAT SHIT NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO FUCK YOU

so in other words, your chart is tracking 3 completely useless metrics and is therefore useless.
you are also useless by association.

you could pretty much make the same stupid point by listing an entire 2-pound tub of protein as a meal and comparing it to an ice cream sundae. PSSH YEAH I GUESS THAT 99% PROTEIN THING HAS LESS FAT BUT LOOK AT THOSE CALORIES OMG
was never good
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:19 AM       
HERE I HAVE MADE SOME CHARTS OF MY OWN