Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Divine Idiot is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 08:24 PM        A couple of sound card questions
1) What is the significance of a sound card not having "digital input"?

I'm in the shop for a new computer, and I guess I consider myself to be an audiophile of some sort. I've read many positive reviews for M-Audio's Revolution 7.1 sound card, and according to the majority of the reviews I've read, its got the upper hand over the Audigy 2 ZS, and even Platinum in some respects.
However, as a way to cut down the price of the sound card, I guess, the Revolution doesn't have "internal, auxiliary sound connectors", has coaxial SPDIF, and no digital input.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, NINTENDO INC, 1989
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 01:36 AM       
EDIT: Pardon me. Internal digital input is what lets you hook your CD-ROM straight to the sound card for playing CDs. Most sound cards have it; this one doesn't.

What makes the Audigy Platinum shine (and why I bought it) is its connectivity. The sound card you're looking at has a digital out, a mic in, a 1/8" line in, and speaker outs. The Audigy 2 ZS Platinum has (on the card) all of the above plus a Firewire port and an additional front panel that includes: a 1/4" headphone out, a 1/4" line/mic in, optical AND coax SPDIF I/O, MIDI I/O, digital I/O, another Firewire port, another digital out, a 15-pin joystick port, and a remote control receiver - the Platinum Pro adds a stereo RCA line in.

I'm not sure about the sound quality difference between the audigy and the other brands. I have a first-generation audigy and it sounds fantastic to me; at this point I think the differences are starting to be nominal. I say buy the cheapest competing sound card and spend the extra money on some speakers that will let the sound card do its job right.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:03 AM       
the internal digital output doesnt really serve much purpose these days as with xp digital audio can be transfered through the ide cable.

I would probaly go for the m-audio myelf.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 10:15 AM       
SB Pro 4 LIFE