Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:48 PM        Run Lola Run Question
I just recently saw this movie for the first time. My boyfriend had me wath the English version first and then later that night the German version. I was absolutly amazed at how differently the same concept was presented. In the English version it comes off as coincidence that she learns from during each loop. In the German version it is clearly direct effect from the very beginning.

The question is......do you think that was due to the poor voice over, that the written word is more meaningful, that there is a certain amount of emotion in the German language along with the subtitles that lends more meaning to the film or am I just nuts?

I have asked other people who saw the English version first and they say they all had the same impression. The ones who have seen the German version first didn't get that impression, but they had already known it was direct effect before they saw the English version.

Makes me wonder what version of The Ring I should watch first.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:41 PM       
Dubs always suck. They try and spell out shit in the film to make it "make more sense" to Americans. It's quite sad, and the fail to translate a lot of the pure emotion by changing what the actors are saying and by changing their voices. As a general rule of thumb, what the original soundtrack with subtitles.
wreckreation is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:32 AM       
but watch the american ring first. it's just better

NIGhtMAre is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:24 PM       
yea americans/canadians often change alot of stuff in a movie cuase they dont think their people will understand it. are we all retards? or is it just gothinaprepsbody?
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:03 PM        Lola
A lot of it has to do with the English language. We have more words to describe things, but because of that we lose a lot of the meaning when things are translated.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:07 PM       
I thought both versions of The Ring sucked

-willie
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:22 AM       
Run Lola Run rocked so much. It was like a big music video .
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2003, 01:09 PM       
The Japanese version of the Ring was just plain boring and not scary at all. Which sucks because I find that a lot of Japanese writers manage to write insanely freaky stuff, but I guess it just didn't translate well into a live-action movie, because they just don't have the industry to pull off the necessary special effects and whatnot.

If they had done an animated movie, I have no doubt that it would have been better than the American live-action one.
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:03 PM       
I can't comment on the Run Lola Run question, since I've only seen the German with subtitles version, and that was too long ago to even remember much of it.

I've only seen the Japanese Ring, too, but from what I've heard about the changes made in the American version, it sounds like I'd prefer it in Japanese.

Yeah, I watched Ring expecting it to be one long scare-fest, but it turned out to be one long episode of The X-Files. If you look at it that way, instead of expecting to shit in your pants, you may like it more.