Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM        CAFE MOMENTS
So, as part of my ongoing effort to get the hell out of my house more often, I'm working on my laptop in a cafe today. As a result, I thought I would start sharing some of the interesting things I've overheard:

1) A guy came in here and asked for a job application. Then, when the manager wasn't looking, he leaned over to me and asked, "Say, what's the name of this place anyway?"

2) They sent their new dishwasher out to buy some soap to clean the dishes with. Keep in mind, they wash all their dishes by hand here because they don't have an automatic dishwasher. If they did, he'd probably be out of a job. Anyway, he bought some Cascade dishwasher soap and didn't understand why they wanted him to bring it back. Seeing people argue about the differences in soap for 5 minutes straight is a treat.

That's all so far, but I'll be sure to start posting threads like this more often when I happen to be in a cafe and see or hear something interesting.
ROCK ON
Mr.Hoopla is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM       
I think that barista is a fun word. c'mon say it, you'll like it.

barista.
Creepy Old Fart
JediScum is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:45 PM       
I have used the word "barista" in the past, and "have been looked at like a dog that's been shown a card trick".

Uhh... the general populace at cafes, look at you weird if you bus your own table. Even weirder, if you bus other tables, from people who have already left.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:51 AM       
I'm a two-time barista and my eavesdroppings (hahahahahahahahaha) have been pretty unremarkable. A while ago I remembered a cafeteria moment when I overheard this:

"Ever notice that we call our Women Studies department 'Gender Studies' just to keep people from complaining that we don't have a Men Studies department?"
-"Actually, we DO have a Men Studies department, but we call it 'History'"

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
*SMILE SMILE*
Otto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty ok
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:54 AM       
I've never really heard anything really outlandish or weird, just really stupid shit. Like an elderly woman who was wondering why we "can't just print some more money, to fix the economy."
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:02 AM       
As my old campus had many, many coffee shops, each had their own reputation (except where I worked, because it was new and in a stupid location). The snootiest was in the Divinity School, although it was the most useful because it had a better variety of local restaurant entrees to take on-the-go. As a religion scholar, I loved the weird esoteric titles they gave their menu items. "Dark Roast of the Soul" and "Diet of Worms" are the only ones I can remember now, though.

It was somewhere between a cafe and a restaurant, but one of my favorite eateries in THE WORLD was a place in Berlin (Kreuzberg) called Hannibal. Not "Cafe Hannibal" or something like that, just the Punic name by itself. It was really fun because at the hostel where I asked where to find it, the guy in charge tried to act all snooty to the American tourist I was about his superior European knowledge of Roman history and I TOTALLY SCHOOLED him about the nuances of the Punic Wars.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
I like eggs
Mr.Italiano is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:30 AM       
I used to work in a lucrative and very popular cafe and I have a few good ones on that experience(I only worked there for 3 months, so you can understand the sheer horror of the place) 1) A lady said I looked Mexican, I said I was Italian but she insisted that I was Mexican and drove away. 2) A guy once drove through the drive-thru while towing a big ass boat 3)A girl asked me what's in a mocha coffee(uhh, MOCHA?!?!). I think I only lasted 3 months there because people who worked there and went there to get their coffee were too snobby.
GET OUT
Asila is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas View Post
I'm a two-time barista and my eavesdroppings (hahahahahahahahaha) have been pretty unremarkable. A while ago I remembered a cafeteria moment when I overheard this:

"Ever notice that we call our Women Studies department 'Gender Studies' just to keep people from complaining that we don't have a Men Studies department?"
-"Actually, we DO have a Men Studies department, but we call it 'History'"

I actually had my Women's Studies prof. use that joke on the first day of class, and then a couple of the people who were in the program explained to the rest of us about how all men were out to rape all women, in one way or another. The four guys who had elected to take the class squirmed around. I don't recall doing very well, grades-wise.

I worked as a barista while I was pregnant with my daughter, and ignoring the fact that working around coffee while you cannot drink coffee is a good way to drive yourself bonkers, apparently being pregnant is some form of communicable disease, the way that people would get uncomfortable about it. Seriously uncomfortable, asking me when I due and suggesting that maybe I should go out on maternity leave or something.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:10 PM       
Maybe they were afraid your water would break into their mocha.

Also, I hate feminists more than I hate the terrorists from other countries.
GET OUT
Asila is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM       
Or that I would go into labour right in the middle of making their coffee-flavoured beverage and spill it, thus depriving them of coffee-flavoured beverages. Or lactate all over the espresso bar.

Attending a women's studies class--something I was advised to do by a counselor that I had trusted--did not help with my preconceived notion that all feminists are batshit insane. Either that or it has something to do with an increase in facial piercings badabing liberal arts school joke.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM       
THIS THREAD IS GETTING HOT HOT HOT!
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:53 PM       
CAFES ARE FOR DOUCHE BAGS
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM       
I want to buy a Mac, sit in a cafe, and write a book. I think I'd look really important. Then I can order shit like Grande Moca Lattes and talk about Broadway or something.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:11 AM       
I want to sit in the alley with Proto. Then we can drink out of brown bags and talk about broads or something.
I like eggs
Mr.Italiano is probably a spambot
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacks View Post
I want to sit in the alley with Proto. Then we can drink out of brown bags and talk about broads or something.
Actually sacks here in Italy they serve booze in the cafe' so your dream date with proto is only half done!
!!!

T-Rex is probably a spambot
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:28 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Italiano View Post
Actually sacks here in Italy they serve booze in the cafe' so your dream date with proto is only half done!
Prove it!
Adarg is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM       
Barista.

I'll admit, it does roll off the tongue rather nicely.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 09:45 PM       
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Old Jun 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM       
All class.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM       
Just what this thread needed.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 10:02 PM       
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:17 AM       
Nothing funny has ever happened in a cafe as far as I know.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:51 AM       
..and then it was revealed MetalMilitia had never seen the antics of Jack Lemmon in Irma La Douce.
Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
Nothing funny has ever happened in a cafe as far as I know.

Same here.

But in cafe's bathrooms, now that's where all the action takes place!
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM       
If you're Larry Craig.
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"