Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM       
All systems really should be region-free in this day and age, yeah.

But that isn't why you're miffed.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM       
I already have Homebrew Channel installed, so the update doesn't hurt me.

I'm not miffed so much as I am facepalming over the fact that the Wii is going to be checking for a specific save file for a specific game every time it starts up and deleting it if it's hacked. It feels over the top, akin to how you couldn't (can't?) take razors on planes. (in before airport security debate)

Sure, people used it to download stuff they weren't supposed to, but if they don't play that stuff for free on their Wiis, it isn't going to stop them from playing it on their PCs, PSPs, etc., because the people who go through the trouble of installing those channels are the same people who already know how to do emulation elsewhere.

I don't blame Nintendo for wanting to stop it, but they don't realize that neither their update nor their service is stopping emulation. I know it's a bad way of thinking, but I'm not going to buy their milk when I can get the same milk for free elsewhere.

And the least they could do is lock up any unauthorized programs; no need to start changing the startup. It'd actually be more practical, since you'd be preventing things that were already installed instead of just preventing them from being installed. If you're going to spite hackers, you might as well do it well.

Last edited by Phoenix Gamma : Jun 18th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM       
Yeah, looks like there will be new exploits anyway.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM       
There was a big security loophole, it was fixed. Of course people can emulate elsewhere, but it's really hard to sell games to people on a system that can play those same games for free.

Tell me next about how piracy isn't raping the PC gaming market outside of online authentication. The Wii was purposely designed to NOT play imports, burns, or run homebrew software. You really can't fault Nintendo for maintaining spec.
has a woody
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM       
Oh, I don't fault them. They need to make money, and I'd do the same if I were them.

But if I were in charge, I'd have told someone to implement something where unauthorized files wouldn't be allowed to run. After seeing the homebrew on the XBox and PSP, I'm surprised they didn't squash it before the system came out.

Then again, if I were in charge, there'd be a freaking harddrive out already, and the online network wouldn't suck so much...

Anyways, I'm losing my train of thought. If Nintendo wanted to squash homebrew (which they should, even though I support it), they should have at least done it well. Someone already found a workaround.

Last edited by Phoenix Gamma : Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM       
There was no really way to stop homebrew on the Xbox. It was the first console with a hard drive.
was never good
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM       
Phoenix, did you know that if you put a little hat on that snowball, it can last a real long time in hell?

Wii's online play seems to be dependent on the developers, not broken as a whole. Smash bros is probably the worst it's been, but Strikers works nearly flawlessly.
has a woody
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM       
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, only because I can't be assed to get into another discussion about why I can't have game rooms or voice chat in my Wii games.

Just assume you win and that I stopped using homebrew so we can drop it <3
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM       
Considering the general playerbase for games like Strikers I'd consider lack of voice chat a plus, but ok
was never good
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM       
live doesn't have a universal 'game room', either, and I have yet to play a game on the 360 where hearing someone else's squawking improved the experience.

I mean, we sometimes play smackdown vs raw on the 360 and use the mic to do impressions of the characters we're playing as, but i don't think that's the INTENDED USE.

Also, homebrew doesn't bother me - I just think it's hilarious that you (and undoubtedly others) are morally upset nintendo is making some token efforts to counter piracy. I don't think they'll let you install linux, either.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM       
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/19/w...h-forthcoming/

BING BANG BOOM DONE. BOOYAH.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM       
i think PG is just upset that nintendo did an update which atleast THEY should know can be worked around easily because it involves a specific game, rather than something more universal. like download tickets