Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 12:28 PM        Incinerators
I posted something else but I was trying to find info on incinerators... I just wanted some input on if people think that this is a good way to get rid of garbage or not? This is a piece of info on a plant in Norway.

.3. Energy from waste

Since the beginning of the 90s, SINTEF in Trondheim has worked to develop a clean incineration technology for medium-sized incinerators. In the period 1996-1997, the first pilot plant was built in Trondheim, and the measurements taken from the plant in 1998 showed that the emissions so far are the lowest in Europe. The emissions are also lower than the new EU requirements for waste incineration plants, see figures 6.1 and 6.2.

Norway has 1.5 million metric tons of waste refuse (after recycling) which can be recycled as energy. This would save burning 400,000 metric tons of crude oil. The energy efficiency of this alone can reduce CO2 emissions by 1.4 million metric tons. And in addition, an even greater advantage is that waste is not left to rot, releasing methane gas. The plant's moderate size makes it possible to reduce the need for transportation in the waste industry by building several local facilities instead of one large plant. Such decentralized incineration will increase profitability and the potential for recyclable energy. The energy and environmental potentials for Norway are described further in Chapter 3.2.1. In this connection, it is the potential for export which is most important.

This technology is now being made commercially viable by Energos ASA, which is based in Trondheim and Stavanger. They are planning to build over 20 energy recycling plants in cooperation with local partners in Europe. For example, in Germany, they have entered into a contract for building a shared operation of seven local energy-recycling plants worth NOK 750 million. In other words, in a rather short period, Norwegian technology has been introduced commercially, and in the future will help to solve environmental and energy problems throughout Europe.

Bellona places great emphasis on finding and working for the best solutions in the waste sector so that the most productive environmental solutions will be chosen. Bellona and Energos are cooperating on a long-term basis through the B7 Program.