Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

imported_I, fuzzbot. is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:05 PM        Policy for the middle east
Well, as someone with liberal beliefs, I don't think Islamic countries are the way they are because of western intervention. However, what I think some liberals are saying is that terrorists attack us because western countries have become involved in middle eastern politics. That they would continue to kill each other and fight each other with or without western intervention, it's just that western countries become a target when they get involved.

Besides that I really haven't heard of the point that the middle east is messed up because of western intervention before your post. However, I'm not one to follow the whole Israel and Palestine conflict closely, so maybe it's a point people use talking about that.

Personally, I think if it would be possible it would be good just to shut off the whole middle east to the rest of the world and let them sort out their own problems. No one goes in or out, no trade, no nothing. Then check in on them every 5 or 10 years and see if they have worked things out and if not then shut them off again. Only this is not a possible solution, because that kind of restriction would never work. Not to mention all of that oil that western countries want from the middle east so that it's just about impossible to cut off trade completely without oil prices skyrocketing.

We could easily cut you off. We choose not to because its not directly expedient and corporate pressures convince the government not to.. But if we needed to we could convert to alternate technology in a second. You are the ones that need us. We give you millions of dollars worth of welfare every year to stop you from killing each other (not that it helps). Without us you would behave like sub-Sahara Africa; you would be a bunch of tribes and warlord massacring each other every week.

____

Someone e-mailed this to me.

Who here agrees?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:16 PM       
I don't.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
imported_I, fuzzbot. is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:22 PM       
Why not?
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:27 PM       
For one thing, America couldn't just switch to alternative energy sources in a second.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:27 PM       
Simplistic nonsense.
=======

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 05:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS
zbot.]Why not?
While I probably wouldn't have said it exactly this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS
Simplistic nonsense.
...pretty much sums it up.

Lots of invalid leaps of logic all crammed into a few paragraphs. Not to be dismissive, but since you didn't write that yourself, I guess I don't have to worry about insulting you when I say that nobody's really waiting around holding their breath for the solution to middle eastern unrest to come from the mind of someone that's not really following the conflict.

If you wanna start up a discussion on the topic, that's cool, but it might be best to get something like that going with a nice summary of one side or the other, or an alternative solution that either addresses the professed needs of both sides or makes good sense some other way.

I don't think it's arguable that American foreign policy had something to do with the perrenial problems over there. I think the debat e on our end pretty much centers around how much we might have affected the region and it's conflicts and whether we owe them something for it... that's before we get to the discussion of what we or they should do from this point forward...

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
=======

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 05:02 PM       
Man, that quoting thing got all kinds of f'd up...

FS is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 05:58 PM       
sorry, I know I shouldn't make a lame reply like that, but it was mostly the last paragraph that got to me - the "yeeehaw, we're the big boys" mentality.

It's not like immigrants from the Middle East haven't spread throughout the world and would probably not take kindly to complete isolation of their birthplaces. You can't exactly shut the door on terrorism. America has been made into a symbol of evil for many people over there. It's not like terrorists recruit their new members by giving them a detailed economic history lesson.

I'm not as informed as I'd sometimes like to be, but this person definitely needs to, as Rorshach would put it, "GET EDUCATED."
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 06:30 PM       
Quote:
We could easily cut you off. We choose not to because its not directly expedient and corporate pressures convince the government not to.. But if we needed to we could convert to alternate technology in a second. You are the ones that need us. We give you millions of dollars worth of welfare every year to stop you from killing each other (not that it helps). Without us you would behave like sub-Sahara Africa; you would be a bunch of tribes and warlord massacring each other every week.
What's this "we" shit? Are you the one making policy decisions? Are you the one in control of the Western world?

Do you even have any idea what's really going on 1) in the minds of the people in the Middle East, 2) in the minds of the people who are really in charge in the West, 3) between the various players in the Middle East, or 4) between "us" and "them."

No.

Fuck off.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 06:54 PM       
Quote:
Personally, I think if it would be possible it would be good just to shut off the whole middle east to the rest of the world and let them sort out their own problems
I already said this.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:09 AM       
..and you're already one of the biggest idiots here.

Strapping Young Lad is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:33 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS
I'm not as informed as I'd sometimes like to be, but this person definitely needs to, as Rorshach would put it, "GET EDUCATED."
Quote from the Watchmen, FS?
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:40 AM       
Quote:
..and you're already one of the biggest idiots here.
good comeback :/

If you where intelligent you would have made a comment about the thread

I guess that makes you "the biggest idiot"
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 10:57 AM       
as FS said, simplistic nonsense.

here's some more simplistic but not so nonsense..
as the place where the first chemical weapons were used by the brits for imperialism, the 'west' has been involved since it could, creating blowback all the way. the big money has been cashing in on conflict ever since it figured out how to sell weapons to both sides of european struggles. It's not obvious because the victor writes the history...
but, for some history on America's role, John Perkins just came out with a whistleblower book called 'confessions of an economic hitman' http://www.politrix.org/modules.php?...ticle&sid=1498
that details the imperialistic strategy which has been going on for a long ass time.

[/url]