Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
Intellectual DIS-honesty is what we call "internet debate." It changes no one's mind. It produces nothing but hurt feelings and the occasional flame war. It's the method of the bully.
Minds are changed through confrontation. You will probably never have the satisfaction of knowing you have changed a mind, and when you do it's a rarity. So for example, if you somehow had a profound effect on how I view, uh, economics or something, you probably wouldn't know it.

This isn't Mars Hill. It's one of many internet message boards, where more often than not people come with their set beliefs in order to expound upon and share those beliefs.

I have never had my mind changed by someone silently coddling something I believed to be wrong. PC conversation and "gee golly, agree to disagree" is wonky talk, it's how pundits talk at happy hours. I have had my mind changed by confrontation, by having what I believed challenged repeatedly.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 02:45 PM       
I didn't say you had to be a pussy to be intellectually honest. I didn't say you have to avoid confrontations, either. Yes, changing a mind is rare, but it does happen. My point was that it never happens when the methods used in the attempt are intellectually dishonest. As an example: If you and I were arguing about something, and I intentionally respond to things you didn't say because I don't want to debate your actual points, preferring instead to just smear crap all over the place and then declare victory when you finally tire of my BS and quit, THAT's intellectual DIS-honesty. "Debates" such as that decidedly NOT rare, and nothing positive is ever accomplished by them.

I don't post on message boards because I know everything already. I post to be proven wrong, and I read to learn new things. If your contention is that most people are out here typing just to fake some victory dances and bully others around, then I would argue that you aren't factoring in for time again. Sure, everybody has fun being an e-dick for a while, but it gets tiresome and boring. At some point, I believe most people eventually move on to more honest methods of communication, though a lot of them go do it in real life because they think the whole message board world is only for the assholes. People mature.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:37 AM       
My, but you all had yourselves a busy weekend. You all need to get married and have children. It might expand your life experience quotient. I'm pretty sure it's the fact that I have children, a mortage, and a host of real life responsabilities that makes me right all the time, and all of you always wrong, even when by coincidence you agree with me. I'm sure it's what makes me superior in any case.

Fuzz, welcome back. I'm not sure, though, that we should have any input from an actual Muslim who might have some insight on what at least one speciffic Muslim might actually think. Is there any chance we could just have Kevin tell us wht you think, though?

"I realized by the numbers the entire Pakistani assembly is small"

Kevin are those our staunch allies inb the "WAR ON TERROR" Pakistanis? It seems to me you distrust a lot of our the members of The Coalition. Why do you hate our allies? Hating our allies aids the Terrorists.

"Mr. Burbank seems to always take the path of intellectual honesty."

I can now run for office. All I had lacked up to this moment was a slogan. I'd use "He's like Obi Wan Kenobi if Obi Wan were Jewish and generally mistaken about most things... and funnier." but it's too long for a bumper sticker.

"He maybe wrong most of the time,"

Preech, respectfully, you need to go back to the top of this post and read up on the reasons I am always right.

"Dude, there's a reason Max doesn't even engage us on this issue."
Kevin the Solopsistavore

I'm sorry, King Kevin, is that the Royal Plural, or are you publicly acknowledging solidarity with... someone who shan't be named but with whom you are obviously in huge gay love?

"I've practically begged him to do so, and he won't."
-Kevin the Ominbore

That's because begging is the wrong approach with me. I'll just leave your froggy little body akimbo at my feet.

"So please, don't wrap yourself in the I-Mockery flag in the absence of a reasonable argument. "
-Kevin the Kevinyest
He can call himself flower if he wants to. THAT'S ONE BABDASS 'BAMBI' REFFERENCE IN CASE Y'ALL DON'T GET IT!"

"You can continue to ignore the problem, stick your head in the sand, and we'll continue to defend ourselves. "
-Kevin who is all Kevins

Hmmmm. 'head in sand' vs. 'defend'... what could be a better set of diffinitions for grothfulk, intellectual debate?

"you bring nothing to the table."
Lord Kevin the Plunderer

Whereas the table groans beneath the bounty of healthful goodness you have brought to the table. I at least can make solid claim to supplying a wide array of tasty and elegantly prepared treats.

Which issue, exactly is it I don't engage you on? Not that I'm disagreeing, mind you, but it seems to me I've angaged you on at least a few, and I'm fairly certain I have on at least aspects of the WAR ON TERROR, or GLOBAL EXTREMISSIM or ISLAMO-FACISM or whatever it is this week. "This Issue" strikes me as Bushspeak. It cannot be deffended against, and it SMACKS of demonization. How can I join my head with Fuzzy's in the vast dessert of Not Being Kevin when you are so vague?

I'm not making promises. Since my first day on this board I have been more interested in lancing boils for sport than actual debate, as I will readily admit. But if you are SPECIFFIC as to where you think I've failed you I'll probably make fun of you about it. CRAP! I mean debate you.

And I'm very sorry. I don't know what Mars Hill is. But you can call it Flower if you like.

"People mature."
Preech

NOW, sir, I shall have nightmares.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:26 PM       
I'm quite fond of "Kevin who is all Kevins". Kevin Augustus?

Quote:
Fuzz, welcome back. I'm not sure, though, that we should have any input from an actual Muslim who might have some insight on what at least one speciffic Muslim might actually think. Is there any chance we could just have Kevin tell us wht you think, though?

Max, if i brought a conservative Republican MArine to your house, and he said to you, "ya know, Iraqis all smell bad and eat children. THat's why I had no problem crushing their skulls in!", would you kneel to that marine's overwhelming authority on the matter, or would you at the very least question his judgement?

Quote:
"I realized by the numbers the entire Pakistani assembly is small"

Kevin are those our staunch allies inb the "WAR ON TERROR" Pakistanis? It seems to me you distrust a lot of our the members of The Coalition. Why do you hate our allies? Hating our allies aids the Terrorists.
Look at the puppet! Look at the puppet! Is this even relevant to you? Does the policy of the Bush admininstration matter in this particular instance?

Quote:
And I'm very sorry. I don't know what Mars Hill is.
Acts 17:16-21.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 02:12 PM       
"Max, if i brought a conservative Republican MArine to your house, and he said to you, "ya know, Iraqis all smell bad and eat children. THat's why I had no problem crushing their skulls in!", would you kneel to that marine's overwhelming authority on the matter, or would you at the very least question his judgement? "

OW! Let's parse this.

" if i brought a conservative Republican MArine to your house"
Kevin the Omnicient

the I-mock forums are not my house, or your house or a house at all. It is a virtual public meeting space. I find it telling that you choose to describe it as a private property.

If you brought this hypothetical marine to the forum, or if they came on their own, since I don't think anybody 'brought' mr. Fuzz here (and again, perhaps I'm missreading a pajoritive tone) , and his bona fides seemed in order, ie he was actually a Marine and not an internet poser, here's what I would be inclined to respect. His knowledge of the Marines, and his ability to tell me things from a perspective with which I am in no way familliar. As to his conservative republicanism, as you know I have never dismissed someone merely for that. But perhaps this is precisely what you mean, since what you have your hypothetical say is so distasteful. So let's move to that.

I'm dismayed that you leave no room between kneeling at his feet and questioning his judgement. If you brought a nobel laureate to I-mock and they were corteous in all their writing, still, I would not suggest kneeling. Question all you like. But I feel (and hardly just with Fuzz) you don't truly question, you de facto dismiss. I am aware of only two Muslims who post here. While I have personally known a few Muslims, this is not currently the case. Now, if I thought Fuzz was on a par with Vinth, I might dismiss him. If I thought he was on a par with Naldo, I'd listen from time to time, but lean toward dismissal. But I've never dismissed Abcdgdhad, and I'm still more than happy to listen to you, even though it's clear you've gone mad with power.

"Does the policy of the Bush admininstration matter in this particular instance?"

Well... Yes, actually. You accuse me of being 'blinded by Bush hatred.', perhaps because I seem to see everything in opposition to Bush. But Bushworld is where we live, their policies determine the reality we live in. You seem to think of the world stage as if W and company weren't on it , or as if you could assign your own motivations to their actions.

I think your own departure from the current actual foreign policy, while very different from mine, is almost as radical. Yet instead of objecting to it, you write as if the reality of that policy is of very little consequence since in surface ways it resembles your own.

What 'particular instance' are you referring to? My point is that you seem happy enough with the WAR ON TERROR most of the time, and yet when the argument seems handy you weigh in with vigor against countries we are very much in bed with and who are critical to the WAR ON TERROR.

And if our legislature, as civilized and superior as it certainly is, has time to legislate on freedom fries and gay marriage as the world burns, why wouldn't the Pakistani legislature have time to legislate on any old sort of nonsense?