Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 09:54 PM        New OS questions
My win98 seems to want to be a boner. I can no longer right click in any normal HTML situation on the internet, which can become a mild nuisance. My disk defrag no longer works, and i have some useless crap on here that i want to get rid of. So, i decided that i want to just replace win98 with a cracked copy of winXP. But i have a few questions:

1. Are the cracked XP versions essentially the same as the rich-man storebought versions? Like, will it be a pain in the ass to run them or something?

2. When i install a new OS to my C drive, will it wipe that drive clean?

3. Does all the stuff on my slave drive (D) survive through the change?

4. Would all of my old programs still work with XP? Like all my emulators, MUGEN, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:22 PM       
yes. just make sure you use a good key so u can install sp1

You might be able to "upgrade" from win98. but I would instaed format and clean everything off before reinstalling, it would make for a much better longer lasting install.

as long as you dont do something stupid like accidentaly format the wrong drive it should be fine, maybe consider unplugging the ide cable during install to avoid confusion.

xp will most likely be compatialbe with your programs. I dont know waht mugen is but emulators work fine on xp.
MY DAD
MrAdventure is probably a real personMrAdventure is probably a real person
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 06:02 AM       
if you find out too late that you've used a known cracked product key there are workarounds to change the key, even microsoft supports a method, though it's a bit tough if you're not comfortable dinking around in the belly of windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q328874

of course this means you need a legit key to replace the bad key with

the main reason you should change to XP is that microsoft has a number of companies suckin' their tits, such as creative, who took the microsoft rescindment of support to heart. that is, basically, if you want a new sound card from creative you need something higher than windows 98 now.

Blue is probably a spambot
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 06:23 AM       
Make sure it is xp PRO and not home. (win2k would be better) Mugen wont work either... I tried running on 2k and there is no support for 2k or xp...