Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:45 PM       
I was going to mention spectrometers, but that's with light and can get distorted. Same lines, though, yeah. Eventually, photons or some other sort of particle we can readily detect in the far off future will be able to tell us that sort of thing. Also, radiation detectors and such is probably more likely.

I'm talking out of my ass about most of this - I've only got an interest in it.

Also, I don't want to cut into anything we're discussing, but the live stream from Quakecon is discussing optics and virtual reality in a very detailed manner.

http://www.own3d.tv/QuakeCon

Optics are neat.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:53 PM       
We've done sight, sound, and touch. So I believe the next logical step would be to smell and taste the planets.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:56 PM       
I'd pay dollars to lick moon rocks.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:56 PM       
Quote:
but that's with light and can get distorted.
they are able to calculate the distortion and consider that. For example they know that its gonna pass through mars' atmosphere then our atmosphere and they know what effect it will have.

actually if i remember right passing through mars atmosphere then passing through our atmosphere returns it to its original state. But maybe I'm thinking of something else

prolyl colonel flag knows all about this
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 08:15 PM       
I'm lost here. Not that that should be a surprise to anyone.

That's true. I'm wondering about the penetration, though. Of course it'll be distorted through our atmosphere and that of any other object, but I'm wondering how effective they are at penetrating certain layers of elements. It'd surely possible to get a reading of a layer, then adjust for that layer so that you can read the next one. But I'm really wondering if there would be a way to take one efficient reading some day that passes through the entirety of an object, say Mars, and provide info about the composition down to the core. How did it come into being? Was it spawned like any other planet or did other objects collide and form this object over time? How old is the core? We can tell a lot of this already by inference.

I'm just musing about how easy it will be one day, to even have a handheld meter that would provide us that information.

This is assuming humanity doesn't fall to some catastrophe before then. Space travel would likely be commonplace, so charting the universe would probably be very important. Our Solar System would be old hat at that point and we wouldn't need to look at minute changes in blurry photographs to show that there is water flowing on the surface of a planet.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 04:02 PM       
Are you guys thinking of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-...y_spectroscopy

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 04:41 PM       
u can do it with any lightwave but i think they use ir/visible in space (for planets and stuff anyway for stars u could probably use xrays if u used the telescopes in space). also i think xrays would be bad (for planets) since they are one of the lightwaves that penetrate atmosphere the least.

but yea its called spectroscopy

and no he means some futuristic invention that will rely on some kinda super quantum particle or something thats able to penetrate through planets and carry all of the information with it and a futuristic device will translate that and tell you everything about the planet
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 04:47 PM       
But if we could do that then we could just shoot lasers from our living rooms and no one will ever go into space again

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
BANNED

Old Aug 4th, 2012, 04:54 PM       
thats why its the future
by then we will have settled all of the planets and will have left our solar system]

in the future
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 05:53 PM       
future living rooms

complete with floating not-televisions

And that's just about right. The English major isn't going to come up with a novel scientific advancement anytime soon.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 08:04 PM       
Seriously, I just want NASA to get a big win on this one, and land the one ton rover safely and with all of its scientific capabilities intact.

Fingers crossed.
You may already be there.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 08:46 PM       
I kinda hope it crashes.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 11:06 PM       
Well, that would certainly be newsworthy, too.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 12:16 AM       
I just think i would be funny to see 2.5 billion dollars and a lot of hard work blow up millions of miles away.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 12:19 AM       
It might put a lot of stuff into perspective for people.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 01:06 AM       
I would like to see them crash 2.5 billion dollars into the national debt.

Also, back to Jupiter, the probe could be fired off from some sort of relay satellite or something. I'm no space engineer but I bet that Branson guy could pay someone to figure it out, it has been the new fucking millennium for a while now.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 01:34 AM       
WOO

SPACE

FUCK YEAH

ODYSSEY DATA IS STRONG
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:35 AM       
Sorry Tadao. Congrats, NASA.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 03:22 AM       
Well, maybe it's drill will break or something equally funny.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 08:25 AM       
Their going to flip it on the first hill. It will still work perfectly fine but be like a turtle on its back.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 11:46 AM       
They will have to send a follow-on rescue mission with a big pancake flipper á la eyeglasses for the Hubble.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 10:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
I was never a fan of HFCS but I object to the method.
I HATE the people that talk about this like it's fucking poison. Not that I'm implying you were or anything. It just gave me a good reason to open my trap. This and MSG exemplify people's fear of acronyms and irrational attitudes due to people telling them they're bad for us. MSG especially. I'm just fucking tired of people complaining.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM       
It's not fucking poison, there are just better things to eat.

Like I said, I mainly object to the methods behind the movie.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 10:39 PM       
For sooth. I WASN'T DISPARAGING YOU, RED.

Like I said, it just gave me the opportunity. There's a person in my life that hates MSG because it "gives her headaches", (as opposed to, you know, the dozens of preservatives and assorted chemical treatments food gets), and thinks it's in Starbucks coffee. HFCS, same thing with certain people. I'm really bummed out by it sometimes, because it's a very quick way to reveal to me exactly how stupid someone is.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 10:48 PM       
"fucking poison" was a quote. I should have quoted it.

The MSG, I dunno. Some people are sensitive to it. It can cause migraines in some people. Every once in a while I'll get palpitations off it. There are sensitive individuals who aren't necessarily stupid. What's stupid is the knee-jerk before you know whether you're sensitive or not. Everyone's set off by something different.

For example, I get bad migraines about 2 hours after I've been in a Hobby Lobby store. Took years to narrow it down to that, and when I told my ophthalmologist he said that he gets lots of complaints about Hobby Lobby. Something about the frequency of the fluorescent lighting, not too different from strobe flashes giving some people seizures.