Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM        Star Trek
Why hasn't anyone started a thread for this movie yet?

Overall it was great. The beginning had a fair amount of cheese but once they get on board the Enterprise it's mostly clean sailing.

I enjoyed every actor's performance, even Kirk's, who I thought I would hate. I also enjoyed the little references and inside jokes, such as the gung ho red shirt who leaves the ship with Kirk and Sulu, and the brain bug thing from Star Trek II.

Aside from the cheesiness of the first twenty minutes, my one other problem with it was that it was far too action-orientated. I realise that this is meant to be a fast-paced reboot of the series, but I really would have preferred to see the crew solve their problems with cunning and knowledge rather than with guns and bombs, which is the most prominent outcome in this movie.

Still though, four out of five from me!

Oh, and the end credits gave me an erection.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:34 PM       
Yeah, it was really good. I'm not a fan of Star Trek at all, and I don't think I've ever watched an entire episode, but even I got a lot of the jokes.

My friend who got me into the premiere is a RADIO STAR and had to introduce the movie; he thought it would be funny to say "AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!" Well, I laughed, but there was a lot of angry nerds who started yelling shit like "I believe the correct response is 'live long and prosper!'"

It's definitely enjoyable for even non-fans of the series, but it's got the usual small problems with movies of this magnitude: stupid jokes that get the stupid audience howling, maybe too much emphasis on action, and a couple characters that are nothing but comedic relief.

That was very funny. Well done.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM       
this thread reminded me of this

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
On another note, you talking about a remake of this film reminds me of the also unnecessary reboot of Star Trek. I hate to go off on a tangent, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with star trek, so why in the world would you reboot it?

The last 2 or 3 ST films did poorly not because the source material was bad, but because they let Jonathan Frakes have far too much control over the films. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's great when it comes to very specific stories (aka as Borg movies/episodes) but he totally sucks at everything else.

Similar issues plagued the crow sequels btw.... the first sequel was actually quite good, but as crappier and crappier writers/producers/directors were attached to the franchise they became progressively worse.

With the Star Trek reboot I can't imagine why they would return to the original series instead of using another crew other than for a cheap cash-in. For it's time TOS was very innovative, but looking back, it was practially a joke compared to the newer spin offs and it has endured not for it's serious-ness and social impact, but for pure camp value. Then I hear that the film involves time travel as a plot device to explain to all the fanboys out there how any of this could possibly happen. In other words, they took the "silly" star trek and try to make it serious while still making the most superficial star trek film to date in addition to erasing the history of the original show which paved the way for 40 years of programming and films? And on top of that JJ Abrahams claims he's neither a fan of star trek nor is he familair with the films? Then WTF was he even offered the JOB!!!!???!!!

UGH is all I can say... just UGH.

Hollywood needs to quit raping established pop-culure and gomake new films. NOW!

Trek fags are so funny
Who... that guy?
Antithusiasm is probably a spambot
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:47 AM       
Hopefully when I go to see this, the same drunk couple that sat behind me during The Forbidden Kingdom will be there, yelling at the movie screen and asking when the Death Star shows up.

Ah. Good times.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM       
Just got back from it, loved it. The villian was really lame, though. And of course,
Spoilers!
was awesome.
ni kar'tayl gar darasuum
Kybo Ren is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM       
Not hard to top trek's last few outings, but overall pleasing.

Did not like the goofy cgi aliens <big eyed nurse, stretchy face drunk> but the other fx were tight.

seemed like NERD never took the chance to be a good villain, his heart was in the right place, just didn't make the most of his opportunities.

Which crew member did the best performance-
I liked Urban's McCoy more than Quinto's Spock
Who... that guy?
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybo Ren View Post
Not hard to top trek's last few outings
With the exception of First Contact, I think that's an understatement, and Enterprise just sucked.

I've been waiting for some good Trek for a while now : p
Arts & Farts
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:58 PM       
I really liked Sulu and Simon Pegg's Scotty.
Everybody's down
Ploxtrot is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:19 PM       
I saw it and really liked it. I've seen the original series and it looks like they acted the characters very well.

Spoilers!
Arts & Farts
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM       
The reason your spoiler happened is because of the altered timeline.
You asked, Chief.
BLEU is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM       
The alternate time line idea seemed overly convoluted and reminded me of the Lost In Space movie from the '90s. And not in a good way! But I'm guessing they opened up an alt. time line so that they could start a new TV series without infringing on the canon of the original show(s)? Right? I dunno.

I did like it, though. A lot more than I thought I would. I got to see it with my Trekkie friend too, which was cool. He liked it. One of his complaints was that the interior of the ship -- like where Scotty worked -- was "unfinished" looking. Bitch, what. How the heck is the deep interior of a spaceship supposed to look?
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:59 PM       
I just got back from it and really enjoyed it. Are you out of your Vulcan mind?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:24 AM       
Captain Kirk's eyebrows scare the shit out of me.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM       
I liked it.
Spoilers!
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM       
http://www.wimp.com/treksteals/
Arts & Farts
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM       
I think everyone already knew that, but it doesn't matter. Star Wars stole most of it's ideas from other movies anyway. As long as they make it fun and feel fresh, it's fine.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
Wow, that video made me have feelings about things.
Banned
seekufo is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:36 PM       
Yeah!You put the right thread.Anybody like me is grow up with star trek series.And the Star Trek movie aslo showed recently.The Star Trek really give us lots of joy. HI IM A SPAMBOT LOL

Last edited by executioneer : May 15th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM       
Wow that sure is a lot of brass fittings in your signature!
Who... that guy?
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:19 AM       
Just watched it tonight. I'm pretty sure those huge black things were actually just plot holes, and some of the action did seem really, really forced, but overall it was a pretty enjoyable movie with an excellent cast. Well, except maybe Chekov. I like Anton Yelchin alright, but I wanted to punch him in the teeth to keep him from talking : p
Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:46 AM       
Karl Urban as Mccoy was great. I think the Kirk, Spock, and Scotty actors were really good too. Some moments the movie seemed to be winking at me except the dude killed by the drill. Funniest part was some people being shocked by Kirks dangling junk.

Did anyone see any shields? I don't remember but all the ships seemed to not have any.