Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2004, 02:19 PM        Powell's aide attacks camera during Meet the Press
From the DRUDGE REPORT!!

BLEEP THE PRESS: CAMERA MOVED OFF POWELL DURING RUSSERT GRILLING; AIDE ATTEMPTED TO CUT OFF INTERVIEW

Sun May 16 2004 10:45:35 ET
**Exclusive Details**

An aide to Sec. of State Colin Powell ordered a halt to a MEET THE PRESS interview and directed a camera to shoot a palm tree during provocative questioning by host Tim Russert!

Powell was being interview by satellite from Jordan.

State Department press aide Emily Miller fumed as Tim Russert went beyond the 10 minutes allotted for the NBC Sunday session.

MORE

13 minutes in to the interview, Miller attempted to pull the plug.

As Russert grilled Powell on his presentation at the UN of Iraq's alleged WMDs -- Miller moved the single remote camera off Powell.

"You're off," Miller announced.

"I am not off," Powell warned.

"No. They can't use it, they're editing it..." Miller said on an open microphone.

"Emily, get out of the way. Bring the camera back please," the secretary snapped.

MORE

Russert aired the exchange unedited.

Powell was 45 minutes late to the taping, a top source explained.

NBC's MEET THE PRESS joined in progress....

TIM RUSSERT: Finally, Mr. Secretary, in February of 2003, you placed your enormous personal credibility before the United Nations and laid out a case against Saddam Hussein, citing.

(Camera moved off of interview subject)

EMILY MILLER, STATE DEPARTMENT PRESS AIDE: You're off.

SECRETARY POWELL: I am not off.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: No. They can't use it, they're editing it.

SECRETARY POWELL: He's still asking the questions.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: He was not ...

SECRETARY POWELL: Tim, I am sorry I lost you.

MR. RUSSERT: I am right here Mr. Secretary. I would hope they would put you back on camera. I don't know who did that.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: He was going to go for another five minutes.

SECRETARY POWELL: We've really scre...

MR. RUSSERT: I think that was one of your staff Mr. Secretary. I don't think that's appropriate.

SECRETARY POWELL: Emily, get out of the way. Bring the camera back please. (Camera returns to the interview subject) I think we're back on Tim, go ahead with your last question.

MR. RUSSERT: Thank you very much, sir.

In February of 2003, you put your enormous personal reputation on the line before the United Nations and said that you had solid sources for the case against Saddam Hussein. It now appears that an agent called "Curve Ball" had misled the CIA by suggesting that Saddam had trucks and trains that were delivering biological chemical weapons.

How concerned are you that some of the information you shared with the world is now inaccurate and discredited?

SECRETARY POWELL: I'm very concerned. When I made that presentation in February 2003, it was based on the best information that the Central Intelligence Agency made available to me. We studied it carefully. We looked at the sourcing and the case of the mobile trucks and trains. There was multiple sourcing for that. Unfortunately, that multiple sourcing over time has turned out to be not accurate, and so I'm deeply disappointed.

But I'm also comfortable that at the time that I made the presentation it reflected the collective judgment, the sound judgment, of the intelligence community, but it turned out that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and, in some cases, deliberately misleading. And for that I'm disappointed, and I regret it.

MR. RUSSERT: Mr. Secretary, we thank you very much for joining us again and sharing your views with us today. SECRETARY POWELL: Thanks, Tim.

(END OF PRE-TAPE INTERVIEW)

MR. RUSSERT: AND THAT WAS AN UNEDITED INTERVIEW WITH THE SECRETARY OF STATE, TAPED EARLIER THIS MORNING FROM JORDAN.

WE APPRECIATE SECRETARY POWELL'S WILLINGNESS TO OVERRULE HIS PRESS AIDES' ATTEMPT TO ABRUPTLY CUT OFF OUR DISCUSSION AS I BEGAN TO ASK MY FINAL QUESTION.

COMING NEXT ...

(END)
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2004, 03:42 PM       
Oh, come on, you tree-hugging hippie liberal. That's just conspiracy theorist crap. Everyone knows our government is truthful and honest at every level, and would never cover up any kind of wrongdoing to save its own ass.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:42 PM       
I was actually more excited about posting this b/c of Colin Powell's response. I don't envy him, because he has now been placed in a position where if he has any future ambitions in the Republican Politburo, he must stand by and defend what he truly knows was an erronious and dishonest call to war....
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:29 AM       
Colin Powell is making a desprate attempt (and a long overdue one I think) to restore his credability which the Bush administration had him toss away without so much as a thank you. Powell has been the good soldier but the administration, far from valuing him, has humiliated him at every turn.

I think it was unwise and unfair of them, and I think they will regret it.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:04 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
I was actually more excited about posting this b/c of Colin Powell's response. I don't envy him, because he has now been placed in a position where if he has any future ambitions in the Republican Politburo, he must stand by and defend what he truly knows was an erronious and dishonest call to war....
Oh, I know, Kev. I just couldn't resist.

I want to believe this is going to bite the Bush administration squarely in the ass. I want to believe this will blow up into no less than Watergate proportions, but the complacency and laziness of the American public makes me wonder.

I hope it does run them straight into the ground. I hope that every day there is a new revelation that chips away at any credibility this administration may have ever had, and I hope they are run out on a rail. And if Colin Powell is any part of making that happen, I'll gladly tip my hat to him.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2004, 03:02 PM       
I've always liked Powell a lot.
He seems to be the only member of this administration with a spine.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:30 PM       
Well, at least you could say his spine is in recovery. I think he has a lot of 'splainin' to do before I'd say he has a spine again.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:20 PM       
I was in the other room and i was listening to the tv and my dad came into the room cracking up, because tim russert was owning the hell outta powell...
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:21 PM       
I wonder if Emily still has her job...

Powell should have pimp slapped her. I've always thought that he's the one who should have been President rather than Bush. That's a Republican that I would have voted for.
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by davinxtk
I've always liked Powell a lot.
He seems to be the only member of this administration with a spine.
- He's nothing but a glorified Uncle Tom used as window dressing for the Republican party.