Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 09:41 AM        UNSC adopt Syrian resolution
http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1031/hariri.html

UNSC adopt Syrian resolution

31 October 2005 22:

The United Nations Security Council has unanimously adopted a resolution demanding that Syria cooperate with a UN investigation into the assassination of the former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri or face possible future actions.

A UN inquiry into Mr Hariri's killing in a car bombing in February has implicated Syrian and Lebanese officials.

Today's resolution was adopted after the United States and France agreed to drop a call for sanctions from the text.

Instead, the resolution threatens unspecified 'measures' against Syria.

The US Secretary of State, Condoleeza Rice, said that Syria had offered no truthful explanations to the allegations that it was implicated in the killing of Mr Hariri.
---
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:30 AM       
"...we will be very angry with you... and we will write you a letter, telling you how angry we are."

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:05 AM       
No Team America references allowed.

It was important enough for Condi to go and be present for the vote. The U.S. clearly wanted this, which is of course the only time the U.S> sees any utility in the UN. Otherwise we should just "blow off the top three floors," or whatever.

I think this could be interesting, particularly if you're a believer in a democratized middle east. If this turns on Syria, and they are undoubtedly connected to the hit, I think you will see revived outrage in Lebanon.....which could be fun.
=======

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:13 PM       
I'm pretty sure there's no doubt, right or wrong, within Lebanon as to Syria's connections here. Maybe a UN resolution that doesn't somehow blame jews for everything going wrong in Arab nations might carry some weight, but I doubt it. That would require an Arab world based in logic and reality, which I'm not so sure is at all even similar to the Arab world I'd find were I to visit.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
=======

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:26 PM       
...and did I miss the part where outrage subsided in Lebanon?

Mocker
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:54 AM       
I think we here in "The States" take the UN for granted (perhaps a massive under-statement).

I think an investigation that clearly links Syria to the killing will reinforce anger and outrage in Lebanon, and rather than taking it out on Syria, the people very well may turn it on their own government, perhaps even picking up the message of Hariri.