Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:33 PM        How the Media Partnered With Hezbollah
How the Media Partnered With Hezbollah: Harvard's Cautionary Report

Frida Ghitis | Bio | 22 Apr 2007
World Politics Watch Exclusive
While the war between Israel and Hezbollah raged in Lebanon and Israel last summer, it became clear that media coverage had itself started to play an important role in determining the ultimate outcome of that war. It seemed clear that news coverage would affect the course of the conflict. And it quickly transpired that Hezbollah would become the beneficiary of the media's manipulation.

A close examination of the media's role during the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war in Lebanon comes now from Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government, in an analysis of the war published in a paper whose subtitle should give pause to journalists covering international conflict: "The Israeli-Hezbollah War of 2006: The Media as a Weapon in Asymmetrical Conflict." Marvin Kalb, of Harvard's Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy, methodically traces the transformation of the media "from objective observer to fiery advocate." Kalb painstakingly details how Hezbollah exercised absolute control over how journalists portrayed its side of the conflict, while Israel became "victimized by its own openness."
---

Read further here
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:08 PM       
That's kind of the hard way of putting it but I agree that the Media went out of their way to portray Jews negatively and the Hezballah terrorism as justified even when they used preschools as human shields and ambulances to move troops.

I saw a lot of one sided anti-semitism in that war but i saw some (very little) one sided stuff on the other end.

I think we have went to far to keep from offending muslims with accurate stories. Even Lebanon were not Hezballah fans, they were preparing for a civil war int he south as hezballah wanted it's own state. (Or so said the lebanese government after the war when it declared victory without even firing a shot)