Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM        Immigration!
Well here we are in the year 2007 and immigration is being illegalized! Can you believe it guys? No more immigrants in the united states! We better all protest, because clearly they are very important for our economy and populace.

Native-born Americans flee cities
Native-born Americans moving out of cities of all sizes, Census Bureau says
The Associated Press
Updated: 8:27 a.m. PT April 5, 2007

function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false :true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633113836574400000');
WASHINGTON - Without immigrants pouring into the nation’s big metro areas, places such as New York, Los Angeles and Boston would be shrinking as native-born Americans move farther out.
Many smaller areas, including Battle Creek, Mich., Ames, Iowa, and Corvallis, Ore., would shrink as well, according to population estimates to be released Thursday by the Census Bureau.
“Immigrants are filling the void as domestic migrants are seeking opportunities in other places,” said Mark Mather, a demographer at the Population Reference Bureau, a private research organization.
Immigrants long have flocked to major metropolitan areas and helped them grow. But increasingly, native-born Americans are moving from those areas and leaving immigrants to provide the only source of growth.
The New York metro area, which includes the suburbs, added 1 million immigrants from 2000 to 2006. Without those immigrants, the region would have lost nearly 600,000 people.
Without immigration, the Los Angeles metro area would have lost more than 200,000, the San Francisco area would have lost 188,000 and the Boston area would have lost 101,000.
The Census Bureau estimates annual population totals as of July 1, using local records of births and deaths, Internal Revenue Service records of people moving within the United States and census statistics on immigrants. The estimates released Thursday were for metropolitan areas, which generally include cities and their surrounding suburbs.

Among the findings:
<li class="textBodyBlack">Atlanta added more people than any other metro area from 2000 to 2006. The Atlanta area, which includes Sandy Springs and Marietta, Ga., added 890,000 people, putting its population at about 5.1 million. Gaining the most after Atlanta were Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Phoenix and Riverside, Calif. <li class="textBodyBlack">On a percentage basis, St. George in southwest Utah was the fastest growing metro area from 2000 to 2006. St. George’s population jumped by 40 percent, to 126,000. The next highest percentage increases were in Greeley, Colo., Cape Coral, Fla., Bend, Ore., and Las Vegas. <li class="textBodyBlack">The New Orleans area, still recovering from Hurricane Katrina, lost nearly 290,000 people from 2005 to 2006, reducing its population to just over 1 million. The Gulfport-Biloxi area in Mississippi, also hit hard by Katrina, lost nearly 27,000 people and dropping its population to 227,900. <li class="textBodyBlack">Parts of the Rust Belt also had large declines. The Pittsburgh metro area led the way, losing 60,000 people from 2000 to 2006. Its population loss was followed by declines in Cleveland, Buffalo, N.Y., Youngstown, Ohio, and Scranton, Pa. <li class="textBodyBlack">Houston edged past Miami to become the sixth largest metro area, with about 5.5 million people. Miami slipped to seventh. There are about 36 million immigrants in the U.S. About one-third are in the country illegally. The Census Bureau, however, does not distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants.

The White House floated a plan last month that would grant work visas to illegal immigrants, but they would have to return home and pay hefty fines to become legal U.S. residents.
Lawmakers were unable to reach an agreement last year on how best to stem the flow of illegal immigrants. Immigration was a contentious issue in many congressional races in November.
Link with economy?
Many demographers associate shrinking populations with economic problems, typically poor job markets or prohibitive housing prices.
“A lot of cities rely on immigration to prop up their housing market and prop up their economies,” said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank.
Advocates for stricter immigration laws question whether a stable, or even a shrinking population, is bad.
“Don’t we have concerns about congestion and sprawl and pollution?” asked Steven A. Camarota, director of research at the Center for Immigration Studies, which advocates for stricter immigration policies.
“Maybe those metro areas should think about what it would take to make Americans want to live there,” Camarota said.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'
');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}} URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17954186/

We have to be very careful if we outlaw immigration our major cities will shrink and disappear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM       
If we ban immigration our cities will fall apart and our nation will be in shambles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

just so you guys know i am posting this sarcastically, because i think this was written very badly and has an obvious slant. ;o
I b Willies Cookie Tester
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM       
I'm seeing a pattern in this article that might conclude in the late future; The US's 'major cities' of today could possibly change.

-kahl, thanks for removing the HTML code!
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM       
Lenor, have you ever thought of applying to MENSA?
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM       

MENSA will accept anyone that grades above average on an Internet IQ test..

I was being sarcastic.

I'm sure you know what I mean.
BANNED

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:19 PM       
I hate when people try to imply that illegal immigrants are necessary for our economy and well-being. Isn't that an APPEAL TO FORCE. Fuck you jerks. There's plenty of legal immigrants moving into cities and it isn't going to stop because new immigration laws are passed.
Even better, the type of people who will be legally immigrating will probably make decent citizens!

I like how it says that immigrants are great because they help with the housing market and job bullshit. How are illegals going to help with that? They make shit wages at illegal jobs that pay less than normal, and usually live in old houses that are cheaper and probably buy via owner. Not new houses. It doesn't make sense.

This article really pisses me off because they try to take those statistics and act like it supports an immigration policy, but it doesn't. Bad journalism.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM       
Employers are loving the immigrant in Canada. Emmigrants or the Token white guy like me now can enjoy the benifits of not recieving any benifits. Companies do not employ anyone anymore they will now go through a Temp angency that will pay you $10 to a maximum of $12 per hour for a total of 3000 hours maximum and then you must be laid off for 6 months before you can be hired back to that same company. during that 3000 hours you will not recieve any pay raise or be treated as though there is any hope in hell that this company will hire you as a full time permanent employee.
BANNED

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM       
Temp agencies!
I fucking hate those, and where I live it is sometimes difficult to get a job without going through a temp agency because every business uses them.

They are gay though.

For the most part, businesses end up paying SIXTEEN DOLLARS AN HOUR for a ten dollar an hour employee -- just so they can lay them off whenever they want and be able to rehire quickly.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:39 AM       
Temp agencies suck. They have you by the short hairs and let you know it.

And since all the fine upstanding white people are leaing the major cities, does that mean the property will be cheaper?
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:28 AM       
Sure, because everyone is going to leave their sweet upper east-side Manhattan pent houses; Where they live in the winter. For their summer home in the Hampton's.
Forum Virgin

savejoe is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco View Post
Temp agencies suck. They have you by the short hairs and let you know it.

And since all the fine upstanding white people are leaing the major cities, does that mean the property will be cheaper?
Go here: http://savejoe.net/id13.html

Awesome article:

Temp agencies -- 2/28/07

This may be the biggest scam of all time. Temp agencies. Offices that hook you up with crappy jobs, get $25/hour for your work, and then pay you $11/h. You still have to interview with the company who has the job opening. And for the privilege of this interview? That's right. A shitty office with three people in it jacks you for 60% of the money that your work brings in. And for what? The right to "network" (remember when "networking" was just meeting people and getting to know them, like... 10 years ago) with people who are offering shitty jobs that an ape could do. Fuck that, apes are above most of these jobs. Take an ape, get it all liquored up, put a football helmet on its head backwards, and watch it miraculously get the job done.

There are so many fun parts of a temp agency to shit on that I don't even know where to start the diarhea fest. One, no benefits. Oh sweet, so... in exchange for getting jacked for 60% of my pay, if I get sick, you basically tell me to go fuck myself. How about constant hounding if you need a day off. If you get sick, they want proof because they assume that you're going on an interview. Yeah at my first temp assignment this dude Sean sprained his ankle and of course our temp agency representative Pam (think Charles Barkley with a blonde afro) is calling him asking him if he was really at an interview. Yeah cause it's that important. Let me wear a cast to work so I can interview for all the REALLY good jobs being thrown around in today's job market. But this isn't close to as fun as the way they want you to act about the job. Look, you're paying me $11 for filling in a spreadsheet with info, and you're getting $15 for having 3 employees in a shitty office with phone numbers to HR departments. When I get the job done, I'm not gonna ask you if there is anything else I can do. At a job making 60K at a law firm? Sure. At your shitty temp job that pays a fifth of what a garbage-man makes? Blow me.

What's especially hilarious is how they want you to act about the miniscule pay. The last assignment I got paid $11/hour and the lady tells me that on the phone, which is fine, she's being honest. Then she busts out with "but when it goes permanent the pay is excellent." So obviously unable to breathe due to the excitement I manage the words "oh yeah, what is it!?" (Think Ike Clanton in Tombstone). To which she replies, "When it goes permanent it pays 30K!" Like someone is shooting gallons of helium through her ass with rocketgun. She was so excited I almost wondered if her boyfriend paid her a visit while she was calling me. 30K huh? Is that what a B.A. from a Big Ten school and 2 years of law school gets nowadays? Don't knock me over with so much money that I start to feel pressured about living up to such an opportunity. To put this in perspective, the average high school graduate in 1973 made 42K in today's dollars. It's hilarious to think that with my education in 1973, I'd probably have started at about 200K in today's dollars and I'd be fighting off the job offers. Today? 30K from a temp agency and they want me to be ecstatic about it.

Oh but here is the best part. The employer loves it. Basically the temp agency is doing you from behind and the employer sticks it in your mouth. Because yeah they have to pay 25/h for you, but when you go permanent, do you get 25/h from them? No. Because you make $11 as a temp, they feel that you should jump for joy when they offer you $15. So now THEY get a discount. Why don't you start me at $15 and stick a broom in my ass for the first day.

And it wouldn't even be so bad if temp agencies weren't EVERYWHERE. Go look in your town. There's probably 5-7 if you live in the average suburb like Schaumburg, IL, maybe more. Go look on craigslist. Yeah some will let you know it's a temp-perm position. Most will not. We really should be allowing middlemen for a job market that is already so loaded with lucrative offers? What's next? A $50 a week fee to an agency that allows you to contact the temp agencies? A bat to the nuts just for the "privilege" of paying that fee? See, if this is what "getting your education" means, then the second grade teacher I had could have spared her speech and told me to become an auto mechanic straight out of high school.

Conclusion? Temp agencies should be required to have a stick figure bent over a table somewhere in their sign.

http://savejoe.net/id13.html
Woud You Like Tangerines?
Wiffle Bat is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:53 PM       
Banning immigrants wont solve the problem. The US has thousands of miles of borders and its easy get across. And yes Temp Agencys are nuts ;__;
BANNED

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM       
illegal immigrants are already "Banned" so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

My point really wasn't even that immigration should be "Banned." I think immigration is great. Mostly I was trying to point out how ridiculous and biased the story is, and, further, to point out how ridiculously many people think about more lenient immigration policies.
the guy clearly didn't even understand statistics at all and it's an obviously fucked up statistic. You don't take legal immigrants and illegal immigrants, then take statistics which deal with them as a "Whole" (yea right i bet they represented the whole illegal immigrant spectrum), and say it supports a more lenient immigration policy. This is because it's possible that the legal immigrants are the ones having a positive effect on the economy, and the illegal immigrants have no effect at all.
BANNED

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:13 AM       
and actually, save joe, Temp agencies do have benefits. All you have to do to receive them is give them 1.75 dollar an hour out of your paycheck.

My girlfriend actually just got fired from a temp job because some gossipy bitch who doesn't even work with her gossiped with the new manager who is a complete idiot and told her that, "Maryann is unhappy here." Since when has being "UNhappy" been a qualification for being fired, unless it was interfering with your job or with customer service?
Oh yea being unhappy at a shitty temp job where annoying women (the woman just mentioned, and another) follow you around talking to you about things you don't care for, gossip behind your back, act like they are your friends, lie about what they say (which is usually when they've gossiped about it) and say "Whatchacallit" every other word (serious) is SURPRISING and I WONDER WHY she might have looked unhappy whenever my fat ass was following her around bugging her. Conversations with that woman go, "So uh did you do the watchcalit work i told you to do because the watchacalit manager is waiting for you to watchacalit finish with the watchacalit work."
The sad thing is that this woman hadn't even worked with Mary or really even done anything with her for over two months. The reason she got her fired is because Mary didn't want to be friends with her. She also got this other guy fired doing basically the same thing, and is working on getting three other people fired because she doesn't like them. I've been seriously considering going over there and punching her fat ass in the watchacalit face, but for now I'm going to write a convincing letter to the human resources department threatening legal action for discrimination, if it's applicable, or, at least, wrongful termination. I feel discrimination is a better fit, though, since she got fired for not being friends with someone rather than for her merits, or demerits, as an employee.
Also, last i checked she wasn't a psychologist capable of diagnosing her mentality.
This is like the third temp job that has been ruined because businesses hire incompetent employees, though. The last place she worked there was literally this guy who was so stupid he had to be moved around into six different departments because he fucked up in every single one and didn't do any work -- SIX TIMES AND HE DIDNT GET FIRED. His job was working in the claims department, and when people would make a claim he'd just let it catch his voice mail and not answer it. This is at a surgical supply office that supplies supplies to surgical businesses such as private hospitals and private doctors, and he's ignoring them. He also sent out pills to consumers, straight to their homes, which is illegal since it's SURGICAL SUPPLY, just because he didn't want to deal with them properly. Nobody at that job ever said anything negative to him.
Also this guy was such an idiot that he claimed his cholesterol was high because of work related stress. oh really, i wasn't aware that you could get cholesterol from working so hard. I guess if you didn't keep hamburgers in your desk it might not be a problem (true story he kept hamburgers in his desk). That's only the beginning of this guys idiocy, the tip of the iceberg!
Most jobs it's as if just being buddy buddy with people is the only requirement to keep a job.
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:43 PM       
Believe me I know how bad the immigration system is being right now.

My mother is getting her US citizenship and so is my GF. It's a fucking crapshoot. I swear to God I think that homeland security + patriot act = KGB. One of the two needs their powers checked somehow like by courts or SOMETHING.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:32 AM       
IMMIGRATION!

I'M SICK OF IT!