Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:09 PM        Talk Turkey
So apparently, Our great friends the Turks feel the amount of 'aid' we're offering to pony up to rent their country as a troupe staging area is currently insufficient.

So, they agree with us about the need for this war, but only if we pay enough. Good thing they don't have nukes, 'cause nuclear blackmail we don't respond to. Troupe staging frontage blackmail, though, that's up for grabs.

Thank God we've got allies who are really with us on this.

But let's not be cyncial. maybe there objection is solely for the protection of their own lands and people. That's a reasonable expectation. So, if that's the case, why aren't we offering what they think is enough?

What do you think, folks? Is Turkey the cynical war profiteering ally, or are we the warmongering use 'em and dump 'em ally? I'm not sure of the answer myself, but I might take a look at how much we've spent on rebuilding Afghanistan since we achieved regime change for some answers. It seems like there will be some money in the budget. Since some senators notcied that through an unexplained oversight the Bush adminsitration had for gotten to propose any money at all.
BombsBurstingInAir is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:13 PM       
cynical war profiteering ally
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:19 PM       
Excellent! We got ourselves a Coalition of the Cyncial War Profiteers going!
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:29 PM       
the same thing happened back at the turn of the 20th century, except it involved the canal zone and the colombians. they kept wanting more and more money from us for renting the panama strip to build the canal. so what did we do? engineered a revolution in panama...

not that any of that was on topic, just a random historical fact.

i dont think we have money in the budget to rebuild all these countries we are going to war with....
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:37 PM       
It's not off topic at all. Turkey should learn a lesson from our history. They have a large Kurdish population they're very worried about. We need Kurdish support in Iraq which is hard to come by soince Bush the elder played golf while they got sluaghtered in an uprising we encouraged.

If Turkey gets to greedy, maybe they're Kurdish population would settle for less. Say, control of a country?
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:51 PM       
well, it would probably end up splitting turkey into two different countries since the kurdish population is too small to rule over ALL of the turks. they wouldnt take it and there would probably be civil war after civil war. we could support a revolution, help the kurds overthrow the turks, set up a new government, and try to be out of there before the shit hits the fan again, but that would be WAY too fucked up.

on an off-topic note, im not going to get to go into action, at least not for a while. my heart has a weak valve, so i had to be dismissed.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 05:27 PM        Won't happen....
The Kurds lack the organization and unity to make any real movement against the Turks. While I'm sure they wouldn't mind a nice little chunk of SE Turkey, they'll never be able to defeat the Turks.

Max, I think this whole thing might be a bit of an oversimplification. There is probably a little bit of both going. The Turks are in a pretty unpleasant position. They are trying to woo Western Europe and make their way into EU, but also must balance against the more fundamentalist Muslims in the country. Same applies to American support. Clearly they would love American financial support, but if it falls short of what they were reaping in trade from Iraq prior to GWI, what to do?

And end to sanctions allows them to resume full, legitimate trade with Iraq, but could come at the expense of U.S. financial support. On the other hand, supporting the U.S. military plan cuts off their income from trade, but fills their pockets with American cash.

I think the Turks would be more than happy to see Saddam removed. However, they are likely harboring legitimate concerns over stability following regime change. I think they're juggling a lot of balls and trying to keep themselves in the best position they can.

For the record, the Turks have been U.S. allies for a substantial amount of time now. It's not as if they haven't been on the receiving end of U.S. aid for the last half century. This is not new to them.

I can't really say I blame them for trying to get the most for their efforts.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 05:48 PM       
So your coming down on the side of us being warmonering users, then?

Baalzamon is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 06:16 PM       
Quote:
What do you think, folks? Is Turkey the cynical war profiteering ally, or are we the warmongering use 'em and dump 'em ally?
I think in this case both are true.

Besides, Turkey is already getting something more valuable than money; protection when the shit hits the fan. Although that depends on how soon the dump'em part takes place after the use'em part.

Either way, the protection that they where bitching so much to get should be enough. Now they are just pushing it.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 08:28 PM        No
Max,
Im saying I think thats an oversimplification. In the case of the Turks I'm sure they'll get their moneys worth. I'm quite sure they've already been offered a nifty aid package, with the promise of more to come after Saddam is gone and hefty oil contracts are divied out. I suppose it would be fair to say that in asking for more money, the Turks ARE concerning themselves with their own defense.

In terms of the U.S. loving and leaving so to speak, I doubt that will happen. Instead, I think the to the U.S. the Turks are the kind of girl you don't want to date, but aren't too embarrased to have continued relations with as where Afghanistan is the kind of girl you through down $20 for in TJ because you need a quick fix and know you won't have to see again later.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 11:00 AM       
GA, I'm chain yanking here, but let me continue;

You basically see the US as a promiscous on the prowl male willing to pay for quality but not above a little date raape as long as there's cab fare involved.