Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:47 AM        NAACP: "RIP, N-Word" and BASEBALL
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070430/...DRru.yF3xH2ocA

NAACP to bury "N" word
By COREY WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer
Mon Apr 30, 1:10 AM ET

The NAACP held a symbolic funeral in Detroit 63 years ago for Jim Crow.

The civil rights organization will do the same this summer for the "N" word, the Rev. Wendell Anthony said Sunday.

Anthony, president of the civil rights organization's Detroit branch, said members and supporters of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People will conduct services and a "eulogy" for the racial slur. The mock funeral will be held during the NAACP national convention July 7-12 in Detroit, he said.

"We are committed to ending hate — word and talk," Anthony said. "It doesn't do anyone any good, whether it's a journalist on TV or a rapper on the radio."

The announcement comes after a renewed discussion nationally about racial insensitivity, brought on by Don Imus' derogatory comments about black members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

Imus didn't use the "N" word in those comments, but was fired in early April by CBS Radio and NBC after major companies including General Motors pulled their advertising spots.
"Now that corporate America has caught up, maybe something will happen," Anthony said. "We have to stop investing in stuff that is killing us."

Jim Crow was the systematic, mostly Southern practice of discrimination against and segregation of blacks from the end of post-Civil War reconstruction into the mid-20th century.

Last edited by KevinTheOmnivore : May 5th, 2007 at 02:43 PM.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM       
yeah and that symbolic burial of jim crow worked soo well at eliminating discrimination in the south
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM       
Jim Crow laws were codified and had a process to repeal. Also, in those days, the NAACP actually was relevent.

Trying to take a word out of the vernacular is impossible. Even worse when you are an organization that is a sad shell of its former self.

-Fuck the Yankees
JohnBoy is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM       
What an utterly empty display. Instead of actually challenging the biggest proponents of hate speach they are goning to hold a fucking symbolic funeral for a word, Brilliant.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco View Post
-Fuck the Yankees
Boohoo. Go Chan Ho Park yourself.
Mocker
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM       
I know, its shameful. Another outing like that, and he'll find himself on the Yankees' staff.

And how about that lineup. I think Billy Ray Cyrus has had more hits lately.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:25 PM       
Mocker
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:01 PM       
Quote:
I know, its shameful. Another outing like that, and he'll find himself on the Yankees' staff.

And how about that lineup. I think Billy Ray Cyrus has had more hits lately.
We'll be fine. Hughes was literally unhittable tonight. But hey, I'm glad the second best third baseman in NY could manage a homerun tonight. And hey, I'm sure the 0-3 Pelfrey will come around eventually. Chin up, chum.
Mocker
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:08 AM       
Oh, gee, our fifth starter isn't throwing a perfect game. At least we don't need to look to little leaguers to save our season.

And it will only get worse for your lineup. Its not April anymore, so there goes A-Rod's production.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM       
quit talking about baseball you god damned losers. this is a historical event.

WHY DONT YOU SPLIT THIS THREAD KEVIN YOURE RUINING IT WITH YOUR OFFTOPIC BASEBALL TALK MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE A GAY GLAZEDBALLS THREAD I MEAN BASEBALL THREAD
Mocker
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:42 PM       
Historical? In what context?

What was the NAACP's last accomplishment? What award show did they protest? What record label bowed to pressure from them?

Hell, they host an awards show that actually features musical artists that use the very word they are pretending to eulogize.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:02 PM       
I don't see what any of that has to do with your derailing baseball madness.
Mocker
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:13 AM       
I think we made this thread better.

Little leaguers? Where exactly did Pelfrey come from? Mets fans used to shell the Yankees for buying instead of developing, but once the Mets became the $Mets$, that all of a suden goes out the window.

A-rod will be the AL MVP this year. David Wright will do vitamin water commercials. There are my predictions.
BANNED

Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM       
did you ever think other people think they are improving the threads when they "derail" it?

but that's ok, mr. mod, i guess it doesn't matter when YOU destroy a glorious thread!!! only when other people do it to a thread that you are in deep love with and want to have fellatiol relations with.
Mocker
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM       
I'm glad you worked that out on your own.
Mocker
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore View Post

Little leaguers? Where exactly did Pelfrey come from?
The farm system. But, we aren't looking to him to save the season. John Maine is becoming a true #1 starter and Perez seems to have finally focused all that potential.

Quote:
Mets fans used to shell the Yankees for buying instead of developing, but once the Mets became the $Mets$, that all of a suden goes out the window.
Hold up, look at the core of them Mets. Maine, Wright, Reyes, Beltran, Perez and maybe Pelfry or Humber.

Minaya made what? 5 big money free agent signings? Beltran (a 27 year old 5 tool player) Wagner (monster closer) Delgado (2 more years with him) and I guess you can put LoDuca there. and of course, the guy that started the whole thing, Pedro.

Where is the 40 year old pitcher with the dead arm? Where is the over abundance of right handed power hitting DHs that strike out every other AB? Where is the guy getting paid $15 million a season for being an All Star a couple years ago? Or the guy who had 3 good months with a winning team and now is set for life and only pitched a handful of games?

Every person Minaya has brought on board has produced as expected or better. Hell even Hernandez has pitched out of his mind when healthy. The Mets didn't sign anyone just to get headlines or to make sure the Braves didn't get him.

The Mets win because of a young core, reliable journey man role players, strong pitching, and a few big free agents.

Quote:
A-rod will be the AL MVP this year.
Probably. He's like a tullip. Blooms in the spring, looks good in the summer, and is gone by the fall. I'm sure the Yankees will once again hit their way to an AL East title.

Quote:
David Wright will do vitamin water commercials. There are my predictions.
Wright can't win an MVP. He can't be most valuable when his line up has 2 or 3 other guys batting over .300 with atleast 70 RBIs. But, John Maine can win the Cy Young.
BANNED

Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM       
El Blanco and Kevintheomnivore are homosexual gay baseball lovers and they probably have sex in the bathrooms when they watch baseball games.

they're the kind of gay that wear cheap suits while they're having sex so they don't have have to look at eachother.
also they smell like hot dogs.
Mocker
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM       
Oh, and for the record, I never chastised Steinbrenner or the Yankees for the amount they spend, rather for the way they spend it. I like the way Steinbrenner used his personal fortune to jump start the Yankees, which most of the other owners (who are actually richer than Steinbrenner) won't do.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM       
Quote:
Wright can't win an MVP. He can't be most valuable when his line up has 2 or 3 other guys batting over .300 with atleast 70 RBIs. But, John Maine can win the Cy Young.
If John Maine wins the Cy Young I will eat a pretzel off the floor of Shea stadiums bathroom.
Mocker
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM       
I'll buy you the pretzel.
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM       
Quote:
I'll buy you the pretzel.
Deal. I love how this thread started out talking about holding a funeral for the N-word and ended up with me accepting a bet to eat a pretzel off a bathroom floor if John Maine wins the Cy Young.
Mocker
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM       
Quote:
The farm system. But, we aren't looking to him to save the season. John Maine is becoming a true #1 starter and Perez seems to have finally focused all that potential.
Which Yankee is bearing this responsibility? Hughes, our #4 at best?

And let's calm down on Maine and Perez. Perez is wild turkey, and let's wait another couple months before we give Maine the Cy Young. I think he's a solid 3, maybe a 2. We will see.

Quote:
Minaya made what? 5 big money free agent signings? Beltran (a 27 year old 5 tool player) Wagner (monster closer) Delgado (2 more years with him) and I guess you can put LoDuca there. and of course, the guy that started the whole thing, Pedro.

Every person Minaya has brought on board has produced as expected or better. Hell even Hernandez has pitched out of his mind when healthy.
You're missing the point. The Mets gave a contract to Pedro that nobody else was willing to give him (and to argue that you got what you expected out of Pedro is bull...I know all the arguments about him lifting the franchise, so spare me). I don't knock the Mets for it, but it's big money baseball. Beltran was a good investment, but the Mets outbid the Yankees in the deal. That's a change in philosophy for the Mets, one that came with Minaya. You're making up for every Vlad Guerrero and Alex Rodriguez that got away. Again, I'm not knocking a big market team for giving their fans something to cheer for, but please, spare me the Billy Beene romanticism.

And David Wright is a poor man's Ed Sprague.

Quote:
The Mets didn't sign anyone just to get headlines or to make sure the Braves didn't get him
This is because the Mets are perennial losers with nothing to play for. The headlines comment is nonsense, but the Yanks and the Sox have a legitimate interest in keeping players away from the other team. They play each other several times a year, and they know that it's often a zero sum game. Whether it's A-Rod, Schilling, Clemens, Pavano or Dice-K, it's in the interest of two teams in a tough division to sign these players.

I know this is a foreign concept for Mets fans, but so is actually winning. Talk to me after this season when the Mets open up the check book to outspend the 2007 NL East champion Braves.

Quote:
The Mets win because of a young core, reliable journey man role players, strong pitching, and a few big free agents.

Young core like Alou and Green? Grandpa Franco? Tom Glavine? How old is El Duque these days, 65?

Tell me, what do you see your starting rotation looking like next year? Will we wheel Tommy out for another year? There's a reason you were in the Zito bidding, and it's not because you have all of these young phenom arms coming up.

And btw, the Mets haven't won anything yet. Tell me the formula works when you get more than a division title out of it...

Quote:
Probably. He's like a tullip. Blooms in the spring, looks good in the summer, and is gone by the fall.
Yeah, A-Rod has one of the bestAprils ever, and "it's just April." Yet Maine is Cy Young and Reyes is Ricky Henderson after a month of baseball....you have to love the Mets fan, like lost little puppies...

Quote:
Wright can't win an MVP. He can't be most valuable when his line up has 2 or 3 other guys batting over .300 with atleast 70 RBIs.
A-rod did it.
BANNED

Old May 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM       
the fact that people know or care this much about sports really makes me want to vomit in somebody's face.
Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:10 PM       
John Boy's gonna eat a Pereztel!!!!!