Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM        STOCK TALK
I'm thinking of buying stock for shits and giggles.

I think that investing in something like NTDOY ( recession proof) would be good. At least, in short term gain, it'd be good. Prices seem too have dropped during the typical summer lull and they'll pick back up after holiday season. If I buy now and sell then, I could stand to make a few bucks as I understand it.

Of course, Nintendo stock only goes up, on average.

I dunno.

I think it's important to look into and invest in things you know. Of course, what I really know about the stock market could fit on the head of a pin.

EDIT: Activision-Blizzard. I'm telling you, it's up three points this year. For someone whom doesn't make their living off of trading this stuff, that seems like a lot to me. And with Starcraft, the "Hero" games, however many other WoW expansions coming out, to say nothing of Diablo III (though I think that's more niche than Starcraft and WoW), there will be a lot of ways for Activision to make money. And considering that Bobby Kotick is a profit maximizing faggot, they're gonna make money hand over fist in the next couple years.
Banned

kgp4death is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM       
I would probably buy stock in some of these solar panel companies. Some are coming out with some cool stuff like printable solar panels or rolls of plastic solar panel that you just roll out. I think a lot of people are going to jump on that stuff soon because the cost to benefit ratio is getting quite ridiculous. Soon some of these companies will have panels you can put up for a grand that basically gets rid of your electric bill.
mmm muffins
Wiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 10:46 AM       
have you obtained your stocks yet? Im a bit confused as to how you buy them, and how you get dividends and whatnot
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 04:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgp4death View Post
I think a lot of people are going to jump on [solar-panel manufacturing companies] soon because the cost to benefit ratio is getting quite ridiculous. Soon some of these companies will have panels you can put up for a grand that basically gets rid of your electric bill.
Methinks this is overstating things a bit. Current technology in development is not there yet - by a long way. Long-term, this may be the way to go, but companies will crash and burn and upstarts will appear probably at least 3-4 times over before the technical potential is fully realized. And that could mean many dollars lost.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good long-term investment, but not in a "let's buy everything we can and just wait for the megabucks to roll in." kind of way. There is still a significant amount of risk associated with this strategy.

My advice to those who want to buy stocks but don't know how yet would be to call an investment counselor (go with a major investment firm, or check the local directory for a mom-and-pop operation) and get some information. Knowledge is power.
You may already be there.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffles View Post
have you obtained your stocks yet? Im a bit confused as to how you buy them, and how you get dividends and whatnot
I'm trying to figure that out. I'll have to get in touch with a broker, but there are websites like E-Trade that'll handle it for you. I don't have enough money to have fun with it on that level.

By the way, a lot of people are jumping into the solar panel business and renewable energy whosiewhatsits. Like Flagg said, the stuff's not there yet, and while I have no doubt that this will be what the world turns to for most of the electricity, there's a ton of start-ups happening and I think it'd be hard to tell which to invest in.

Stocks have nothing to do with whether or not an idea is good; only that it sells and sells a lot. Stocks deal in perception of goodness and popularity.
Banned

Old Oct 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM       
I would recommend doing like a fake stock market kinda thing to see whats up...like "fantasy stock market" so that you can get a feel for things and not lose any money. Remember you can "bet" that a stock will do down as well as up so there is a lot to learn before you jump right in with hard earned cashola
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 08:40 PM       
That's actually not a bad idea. There's a currency trading website - i forget the address, but you can look it up pretty easily - that offers to teach you how to deal in currency markets by providing a downloadable game, giving you 10,000 virtual dollars and letting you have at it. Using the tools they provide, you can earn virtual fortunes while learning the ins and outs of trading. When you're ready, they let you open an account - if you find it's for you.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 09:35 PM       
I get emails from the university about their "Trading Club" or whatever; it works on the same principle.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM       
Have fun, and let us know how you do.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 12:14 AM       
I'm not looking to make much money, if any. I'd like to see if I can put some knowledge of a particular industry to good use.

And I didn't join the club thing here; it was run and had the same characters from the Young Republicans on campus.

Blech. Low lifes.
Banned

Old Oct 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM       
I like republicans......Well, at least I like to point and laugh.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM       
I used to play fantasy stocks on yahoo back before 9/11 craziness. They might still have it.

What's your plan? Long term or quick fix?
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM       
Quick fix; I'm just playing with the idea now. I know I'm not savvy enough nor do I make enough money to seriously invest in things.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 01:06 AM       
It's a hard game making fast money on wall street. My brother was playing the game of "short selling." Look that up and see if it is something that interests you. It's ugly, but it's about making you money, fuck the rest.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 01:09 AM       
I just looked it up and it sounds risky as all hell, especially if the price rises.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 04:44 AM       
Damn straight. Yes, you can make a killing, but you can lose everything and then some very quickly.

They run commercials like that on the radio: "You can make a fortune - buy futures in heating oil; for as little as a thousand dollars, you could make up to 50,000 if the price of heating oil increases this winter only 50 cents per gallon" - what they don't say, is that if the price goes down 10 cents, you lose 10,000 dollars in addition to the thousand you already spent. You need a strong stomach and resources to play this game effectively.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM       
But the price could go back up, as well. That's not the short game, though, that's "going long" with the hopes that it'll recover.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM       
I know, but the principle is the same. Selling short is what Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd did in "Trading Places" - they sold shares that they didn't actually have at a high price, then bought them all back when the price dropped like a rock. They netted out with zero shares (what they started with) yet took home a boatload of cash.

Easy money when it works.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM       
It's always risky.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 02:29 PM       
A bit of advice from a finance major. Ant 10708? college educated? Amazing I know. Do not get involved in the stock market if you are not knowledgeable about it. If you cannot answer a simple question such as how do I buy stocks or how do I receive dividends then you have no business investing your hard earned money in a market that will eat you alive and leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. And if you plan to invest for "shits and giggles" then please do not waste your money on paying a broker to make trades. Brokers just make educated guesses and the fees they charge is not worth it for small time investing.

Fidelity is your best option in terms of features and layout for investing without a broker. I highly recommend that you do not invest in the stock market (first of all the market is long overdue by a few months to correct itself so if you invest now you stand to risk more) and instead research some more stable investing options.

colonel flagg: "easy money when it works" is one of the dumbest statements any investor could make let alone tell someone else who is seeking beginner investment advice. Your money is being put to work by someone else so obviously when it works it is could be seen as easy money but short selling is not as simplistic as you make it seem and it involves more risk then just buying the stock at the asking price. And successful stock market investing involves more work and time then the average person who watches Mad Money will ever realize. There is no such thing as easy money. So called "easy money" comes with risks and by having risks it is not easy money. Big risks = big rewards. If you think its easy try investing tens of thousands of dollars with the potential to come out in debt and you will be having stress out your ass worrying about the movements of the market. Stop telling him investment advice that is unrealistic to the beginning small time investor. currency trading? are you serious? He said he wants to invest for "shits and giggles" not "so i can have a brain aneurysm trying to learn the ins and outs of the vastly more complicated financial markets"

Fathom is on the right track, despite my opinion that it is best to stay out of the markets right now, the best strategy for small investors is to invest in products and companies you use(or your friends, families, or acquantinces use) and are familair with.

Keep your eyes on EA(since you like the gaming industry). Rumors are going around that microsoft is trying to acquire the giant publisher.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM       
I just look like I know what the hell I'm talking about sometimes. It's almost as good as the real thing.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 02:38 PM       
buy low sell high
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM       
GET PUTS REINVEST DIVIDENDS
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM       
Just ask Chuck dude.