Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bod is probably a spambot
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM        Rucksack V Suitcase
Up until a a year ago I'd alway used rucksack when traveling. I liked them because you had more control with them on your back, loads of pockets and more squashy to fit in odd places. But it was always annoying at airports because you can't check them in at the regular point and have to take to a special place which always worried me that it would end up on the wrong plane. Then it could quite often be the last item on the carousel (sometimes the first though).

Then when I went to Brantford/Chicago, my Mum bought me a suitcase for a pressie and I was instantly converted. Pulling it on wheels is far easier than carrying a rucksack, it's easier to rummage the contents and it keeps your clothes tidier. And it's aubergine in colour with matching hand luggage - bonus.

But on my China trip (which is tomorrow btw and this is why I'm too excited to sleep), the trip notes recommend, nay demand that I use a ruck sack because of lots of traveling about. And get this, pack less than 10kg!!! I've just weighed my case and it's 15kg. Not like I've taken excessive stuff. But a rucksack is lighter than a case, but my rucksack is so old and battered I really don't want to take it - metal bands are poking out the top - but they still let me on planes with it before.

But what if I turn up and all the other travelers are hardcore travel types with rucksacks and I'm trying to drag a case up the Great Wall of China or summat? I don't want to look like a lah-di-dah upper class pillock, ooh look at her with her suitcase and we're all rugged with our rucksacks, etc

Which to take, it's a dilemma. Any of you retards traveled around China and used overnight hard sleeper trains? How would you carry your luggage?