Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sympathizes with the foo'
Mister Tea is probably a spambot
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:29 AM       
Gripes about the plot aside (Dahlia as a good character? Are you fucking serious?), I do believe that Silent Hill is the best video game movie to date. But then, that's about as back-handed a compliment as you can possibly give.
Crazy dog woman
the Platinum Poppy is probably a spambot
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM       
I can't believe lots of people actually thought this was a good horror movie... I saw it a while ago, so I don't have everything in vivid memory, but I do remember the overall impression was unintended comedy.
First that mother who's so incredibly stupid. Or stupid doesn't cover it, make it insane! Her daughter has sleepwalking problems and she lives near all kinds of dangers like waterfalls and big highways. But she doesn't even bother to lock the front door! That would be like, priority number one in my book. Then she tries to solve her daughter's problems... by taking her on a car ride to a far-away town, just because it's called "silent hill", and her daughter says this phrase in her sleep????? I mean, how far-fetched is that? If your own kid suffered from sleepwalking and went "Africa, Africa" in her sleep, would your own reaction be to put the two of you on a plane to some random place in Africa? No it wouldn't, not unless you're insane. You'd go to a shrink with her, that's what you'd do! To make ANY kind of sense of that mum's behaviour one has to imagine that there's like half an hour of movie cut away, where the mum tries everything normal first (like locking the door, seeing a shrink, seeing a second shrink) but when nothing helps she finally suffers a total nervous breakdown and embarks on this crazy car ride to the town of Silent Hill.
Then all the monsters are knock-kneed. It's like the movie makers thought that being knock-kneed immediately makes you menacing. Perhaps the director was bullied by some knock-kneed kid when he was little... or something.
When they first come to the town, they encounter some creature that's severly disabled. For all we can tell he/she is deaf, blind, without arms AND so knock-kneed he/she can barely walk. This is supposed to be a menace? I don't get it.
I could go on like this, but enough is enough... I'd give it half a pickle as a horror movie, but a few pickles as a comedy.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM       
The reason for going to the town was a lot less contrived and stupid in the original game: Sure, Cheryl -not Sharon- was subliminally called to the town by a supernatural evil in order to combine her with the lost half of her consciousness, but at least it made sense from Harry's -not Rose's- view: his daughter just suggested Silent Hill as a good vacation spot.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM       
And for what it's worth, those straight-jacket thingies weren't knock-kneed in the source material, but that corrosive liquid they spew still made them plenty dangerous in both movie and game.
Shadowdancer21b is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM       
I love this movie, and I love the games too, except for Silent Hill 4. This movie tells its own story in a Silent Hill vein. I love it.