Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Virgin
Anselm is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 04:56 PM        I made a wrong turn at Metal Slug
Last week I discovered I-Mockery. I did so while looking for information for one of my favorite games, Viewpoint. This is when I discovered the Neo-Geo I have owned since 1990 could have given me so much more. I also realized I made a wrong turn 14 years ago when I chose to not buy Metal Slug.

I almost had the original Metal Slug. Heard about it through EGM when it was released and almost bought it. My wife convinced me the $250 or so could be better spent on 5 other games for the N64, or getting a Playstation. I couldn't really argue the financial logic, and I turned my back on what I thought was a system well past its time.

Then two days ago, I found a used copy of MS Anthology for the Wii and bought it. What an awesome franchise. I've played through the first 3 missions of MS1, and then I jumped to 6 just to see the graphical improvements. Can't put it down, and now I want to experience it with my AES controller. I can rapid fire by alternating between my middle and pointer finger on the Neo-Geo controller. Something that just can't be done on a Wii or Gamecube controller.

I hate to say it, but I am truly saddened by how much I have missed out on. I don't own any games past 1993 for my AES. I bought it as a teenager, and when I joined the military in 1993 my Neo-Geo became a legacy system as I continued to buy the newer consoles.

Jump to April of 2010. While bragging about my Neo-Geo (which I have done for the past 20 years, since I knew no one else who ever owned one) I pulled up some internet stuff on Viewpoint. It was then that my heart sank. I started digging deeper into what I abandoned in 1993. As a defender of the 2D days, constantly complaining everytime an old school game goes 3D, I was shocked to see how long the Neo-Geo continued to grow. It was like finding out you had a brother, right after he died.

For the past several days I have been obsessed about learning more. Bios chips, MVS vs. AES, system language regions, mods to sound and video output, converters, emulators, etc. I have now turned my back on my PS3 and X-Box 360.

I found a bunch of older AES titles that have been fairly affordable. A new copy of Blue's Journey, Ghost Pilots and Sengoku for about $30 each. I grabbed them. I plan on buying anything else I can find for under $150. I know I won't like all of them, but adding to my collection is what I want right now.

I have had the following titles since they were released:

Fatal Fury 2
Viewpoint
Soccer Brawl
Ninja Combat
Last Resort
Alpha Mission II
Nam 1975
Magician Lord
Baseball Stars
Baseball Stars 2
2020 Super Baseball
Samurai Showdown
League Bowling

With the exception of Soccer Brawl I have beaten them all, on MVS setting, with limited continues. Apparently Americans are even bad at Soccer video games.

I want to experience the titles that most consider to be the best, crowning achievements, of Neo-Geo. Pulstar, Metal Slug series, and Mark of the Wolf jump to the front as games I must experience. Clearly the AES versions of these games are well beyond my grasp financially. So now what? Buy an MVS machine, get a $250 MVS converter, or chalk it up as a missed opportunity?

I have always wanted an arcade machine. Since the only affordable way to see these games is through MVS, I am now looking for one. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I told her that if it is not realistic, I will then turn to the $250 converter. Either way, I need to make up for lost time with my Neo-Geo. How I managed to go so long without knowing the system was still supported is beyond me. Time to stop complaining about the demise of 2D gaming. I have a lot of making up to do.

~Anselm~
With More Yes Than Ever
DougClayton4231 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM       
Get an emulator first and test out the games you want to try. Garou: Mark Of The Wolves is the only game other than Art Of Fighting 2 and 3 that I can recommend for the Neo-Geo. Games for the console are quite expensive even on ebay so choose wisely.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 01:07 AM       
Personally, I have a Neo Geo with the MVS converter. It saved me a ton of money in the long run since MVS carts are far cheaper than the AES ones, plus it's nice to know I can use the carts in a Neo Geo arcade cabinet someday if I ever want to buy/build one.

As for games to check out, Pulstar, Last Resort and Blazing Star are definitely great in terms of shooters (though, as we've already discussed, Viewpoint is my all-time favorite for that system). I'd also recommend Waku Waku 7, as it's a fun fighting game with some truly bizarre characters - you can see my review of it HERE. Another 2-player game I love is Nightmare In The Dark - you can see my review of it HERE.

On a semi-related note, if you enjoyed Metal Slug, check out "In The Hunt" - same kind of game, same developers, only you're in a submarine. It's not on the Neo Geo, but you can find an arcade ROM for it I'm sure.
Shadowdancer21b is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 04:25 PM       
Ghost Lop is a fun puzzle game. I also liked Sengoku but you have that already.
Forum Virgin

SupraGenius is probably a spambot
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 03:08 AM       
Ghost lop was a prototype cart and will hurt your wallet terribly bad if you find so much as a bootleg. Go for Samurai Showdown II and IV, the last blade games, and King of Fighters 98 and 2002. Nightmare in the Dark is beautiful, even if it is just a rip off of snow brothers, and Waku Waku 7 is fun if silly and not terribly deep. You already have baseball stars and league bowling, which are awesome games to play against friends, but add to that list Wind Jammers. It's like a really advanced version of pong, with super shots and what have you. Magical drop is a great puzzle game, as well as the godlike Puzze Bobble games. If you want an alternative to metal slug, go for Shock Troopers. Shock Troopers 2 is not as good as the original, though. If you want shoot-em-ups go for Blazing Star. You already have the wonderful Viewpoint, though, which goes down as one of my favorites of the era, if only for the soundtrack. Happy hunting, and check ebay often, as you can get some steals there.
Esq.
stevetothepast is probably a spambot
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM       
supragenius has been waiting a really long time to say that.
Forum Virgin

SupraGenius is probably a spambot
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 12:50 AM       
Hah. Not really. I hang out over at NeoGeoForLife a bit, even though I don't post much on ANY forum. I have a very large video game collection, and just wanted to point out some real winners of the system. Oddly (and sadly) enough I don't have an MVS . Just no room. I do have tons of compilation discs across many systems, and have dropped MANY a quarter on the real thing, and still do when I see them still running. One day, though...
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 11:13 PM       
You can get an AES system with an adapter that allows you to play MVS carts on it. Much cheaper than buying the AES carts and doesn't take up all the space that a cabinet does. That's what I have... works perfecto!