Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:27 PM        If guilty.....throw away the key.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...le605042.shtml

Charges In Torching Of 125 SUVs
LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2004

A California Institute of Technology graduate student has been arrested in connection with an August arson and vandalism spree targeting 125 sports utility vehicles at four car dealerships, the FBI said.

William Cottrell, 23, used an alias when he e-mailed The Los Angeles Times, claiming to be a member of the eco-terrorist group Earth Liberation Front and offering specific details to prove his involvement in the firebombings, the FBI said.

“The FBI hasn't seemed to pick up on any of them (clues), which makes this whole ordeal rather boring for us, the true culprits,” one e-mail boasted, the FBI said in an affidavit.

Authorities searched Caltech classrooms and tracked the e-mails to Cottrell, a grad student in the physics department, according to the affidavit. They also seized six computers from the campus.

Cottrell was arrested for investigation of arson and vandalism. He was ordered held without bail at a court hearing. If convicted, he faces a maximum of 40 years in prison, the U.S. attorney's office said.

“The charges are unfounded,” defense attorney Stephen Alexander said outside court.

Cottrell's father described his son as bright, hardworking and somewhat eccentric but incapable of the acts alleged by the government.

“We were hopeful he wouldn't be charged,” Dr. William Milnes Cottrell said from his Concord, N.C., home. “We are very unhappy about it. We are still reasonably sure he wasn't a primary agent in this deed.”

Prosecutors estimate the total damage was about $2.3 million.

“Those who set fires, like those at the Hummer dealership in West Covina, are misguided zealots,” FBI Assistant Director Richard Garcia said in a statement.

The firebombing spree hit four car dealerships and at least four privately owned vehicles in communities east of Pasadena, where Caltech is located and where Cottrell was arrested.

The West Covina attack destroyed or damaged 72 vehicles, mostly SUVs, and a parts warehouse.

The Los Angeles Times reported that the e-mails the newspaper received began several weeks after the attacks, when the FBI arrested an environmental activist named Josh Connole in connection with the fires.

"Hello, the police have the wrong man here — I was amongst those responsible for the SUV attacks," read the first e-mail sent to the Times.

Connole was released without charges four days after his arrest. Connole told the Times that he hoped Cottrell's arrest would end any doubts about his innocence.

----------------------------

Moron.

phnompehn is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:44 PM       
Protesting the mass consumption of fuel by using massive amounts of fuel to cause destruction. Beautiful.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:51 PM       
That's you definition of "protesting"?

phnompehn is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:20 PM       
I checked it up with my friend Webster. He said protest means "to express strong objection to." I thought maybe he was just being a lying son of a bitch, so I phoned up my friend Cambridge. Damn, wouldn't you know he thought so too?
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
That's you definition of "protesting"?
Whining about a tiny fraction of people in order to demonize an entire movement could also be defined as "protesting,"me thinks.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:57 AM       
How about reckless endangerment?

That fire actually flared up in front of the firefighters who tried to put it out and nearly got them. Also ,the fire in the service center wasn't even seen at first until it became a 4 alarm blaze. One of the firefighters claimed that the molotov cocktails were going of as they went in.

And lets not even discuss what the smoke and all those chemicals do to the enviorment especially after the FD hosed it down with tens of thousands of gallons of water that washed into the sewers on its way out to sea.

The fact that the ELF hasn't killed anyone yet is dumb fucking luck.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:33 AM       
ELF are a bunch of nutjobs who give legitimate protesters a bad name. It was their sister organization, ALF (Animal Liberation Front) who released about 7,000 minks from a Finland mink farm. Now I think fur is cruel as well, but bear in mind that the minks raised on those farms are the non-native American mink, which has escaped from fur farms in the past and is crowding out the European mink which is now critically endangered because of it. And these fuckwads released 7,000 more.

It is people like this who discredit the environmental cause. I hope they go to jail.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:11 PM       
I completely agree that if this guy is guilty he should get locked up for a long time.

Exactly the same way I feel about

Jeff Skiling
Ken Lay
Rush Limbaugh
and
Martha Stewart

Also
Michael Jackson
Kobe Bryant
Robert Blake.

In short, I feel any person accused of a serious crime who is found guilty of that crime should go to jail for it.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:31 PM       
What a novel idea that is. The guilty go to jail...check. I mean unless those laws are disagreed with like securities fraud or obstruction of justice. Then they should just go bake some pies instead.
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:17 PM       
Just to clarify- the ELF isn't an organized body. The way it's meant to work is that when J. Random Trustafarian performs hisself some "direct action," he contacts a spokesperson, who then disseminates the information to the media.