Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:56 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Let's not forget the $1000 graphics chip setup. Also, I've never seen a $600 computer that could play games from the last 10 years.

E3 is a day away. So long as Sony shows me "This is why you need a PS3 in November," I'll be willing to buy the $600 version. Hell, last year's E3 made me ready to buy whatever shit they slung at me, so they might pull it off this year too.

Which sucks. Because like I said, people spending this kind of money will only result in a continuing trend where companies will keep selling more expensive consoles because they can.
If you're buying a $1000 video card, then a $600 PS3 probably isn't a problem for you, either, huh? Buying really expensive technology to play games is retarded, because in six months that video card will cost $200 and the game will still be around.

I've seen $300 computers that could play games from the last 10 years. Hell, I'm using a computer as a doorstop that can play anything older than three years.

These consoles are going to cost more and more because they're incorporating newer and newer technology. New tech means that it's expensive to manufacture. It's the price you pay for being an early adopter.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM       
plus later versions will probobly be better made as the technology improves (smaller, quieter, etc)

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
I don't know much about how this thing is going to work, but do you really need 20 gigs?
It isn't the size of the hard drive that bothers me, though. That is a formidable size, but the thing is, if you cannot upgrade the console, then the $500 version will never be able to play HD movies, it won't be able to use wireless controllers, along with missing a ton of other features.

Sure, Microsoft put out 2 machines, but the lower end was upgradable. It was like having a stupid kid. You could tutor it and it would get smarter. The PS3, however, is like having a mongoloid child. Nothing will help it. You may love it, but it's still inferior to the other kids on the block.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:26 PM       
It seems like the 500 dollar one is a joke. You can pay 100 extra dollars for something with three times the storage space of the cheaper one.
Now with less sodium!

Old May 15th, 2006, 01:32 PM       
That does make it sound like a bargain, when you say it that way, but it's still $600 that many people just don't have, especially during the holiday season. I don't see this launch being successful.
Whiter than Alabaster
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:32 PM       
we got 23 preorders so far in GameStation (just started the job today), cant imagine how nuts people will get on launch day, and of course when people start selling them on ebay.

It seems the UK doesnt have the option to buy the 'ghetto package' (ie, no hi-def, wifi, etc), at least at launch anyway.

Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
These consoles are going to cost more and more because they're incorporating newer and newer technology. New tech means that it's expensive to manufacture. It's the price you pay for being an early adopter.
Yeah, but it's a fuckin' toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
Fuck you, Sony.
What he said.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM       
I remember as a kid that the newest consoles were never a problem for parents to get for Christmas, but with each new generation and it's flashy caviar-powered expensive game consoles I bet a lot of parents can't really afford to get them nowadays.

Now who wants to be the first asshole to jump in with "fuck kids anyway"?

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Resident Chimp
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra 3
Yeah, but it's a fuckin' toy.
Your point? It's a "toy" that's using one of the most advanced CPUs every build and blue laser technology.

Check out this link and you'll see that the PS3 isn't that much more expensive when compared to all of the other systems that have existed.

http://curmudgeongamer.com/2006/05/h...-500-aint.html
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:54 PM       
Whew, I'm glad it is so expensive. I didn't want to feel stupid for paying 400 (I GOT $100 off with employee discount WEEEEEE) on the 360 if the others were going to be competatively priced. Thank god Sony didn't know how to pace themselves and were forced to charge so much.

NOW ALL I'm STUCK WITH IS PAYING $50 PER CONTROLLER AND $100 FOR MY WIRELESS NETWORK ADAPTER. BOY I FEEL SMART.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:09 PM       
That graph doesn't convince me. On the relative prices one, the $600 is still the third most expensive system released after 1986 (with the NES and the biggest mainstream jump in video game sales.) Also, it fails to take into account that the PS3 could be considered a mainstream system while the other big ones (with maybe the exception of the Saturn) are really kind of obscure. I never heard of a Neo Geo til I was 15. For a mainstream system, the PS3 is astronomically high priced no matter how you slice it.
Resident Chimp
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:30 PM       
You have to look at the graph that shows the prices after inflation.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM       
The Neo-Geo was basically an arcade machine and the games themselves were at least $100 each. The 3DO was supposed to basically be what PCs became. So really, among 'toy' consoles, the PS3's price is ridiculous.

Sony is full of stupid ideas. For $600 I could seriously 'pimp' my 'computer' and get a better setup than a PS3. No-one who has another system of any kind really has an incentive to pick up a PS3 at that price.

My coworker at the mobile DJ company was trying to tell me that the 360 launched at $600, so now I have proof that I was RIGHT ALL ALONG.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:40 AM       
Wait, what did PC's become? I only ever played Dragon's Lair on the 3DO so I dont' know what you're talking about.
Whiter than Alabaster
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:14 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
For $600 I could seriously 'pimp' my 'computer' and get a better setup than a PS3.
plus you can use a pc for other stuff than playing games, and if you take piracy into account, it pays for itself eventualy in game/dvd/music savings :P

Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:17 AM       
$600 is nothing. What is that? Half to maybe 2/3rds of a pay cheque for most people here? Really, that's quite cheap. A computer will run you way more, and it'll last half as long. The PS3 should have a good 6 to 7 year life span. Plus it plays freaking blue-rays. What more could people ask for damnit?
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:32 AM       
Yeah, I figure if I'm spending that kinda money I'll buy a computer instead. That way I can play more roms too :D

That was very funny. Well done.
master_d_68 is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:36 AM       
Also, as usual, the PS3 models will probably have some problem within them like the previous models did (the laser burning out, and the Disc Read Error problems). I had to play my PS1 upside down for years, and I've been through 3 PS2's. Fuck it, I'm gettin' a Wii.
Now with less sodium!

Old May 17th, 2006, 10:48 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
$600 is nothing. What is that? Half to maybe 2/3rds of a pay cheque for most people here? Really, that's quite cheap. A computer will run you way more, and it'll last half as long. The PS3 should have a good 6 to 7 year life span. Plus it plays freaking blue-rays. What more could people ask for damnit?
Well, for me, it's more like 4 paychecks, since I only work part time, as I'm sure many people here do. Yeah, a computer will run you way more, but it's more functional.

And a bigass LOL to the 6-7 year life span. That's what Sony's saying NOW, but do you honestly think they'll let Microsoft and Nintendo come out with new systems without them? You must be kidding.

Oh, and blue ray can suck my asshole. I've hated it since day 1.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:18 PM       
blue-ray functionality on a system is roughly as important as the ability to play betamax casettes and/or 8-tracks.

see what i did there

Supafly, I meant that the 3DO was supposed to be a media center (it came with an encyclopedia) in addition to a gaming platform. As in, it was supposed to be what we call a PC today. Of course, PCs back then could only play Number Munchers so I had to convolute my analogy :<
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:35 PM       
Anyone else watch this Heavy rain PS3 character tech demo thingy? - http://files.filefront.com/Heavy+Rai.../fileinfo.html

Although, as has been said in this thread plenty you could make an identical game to run on the PC platform it is really cool to see how much effort they put into voice acting and whatnot.
Marc Summers is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM       
Hang on...

How much does gold XBox Live cost, and what do you get when compared to silver?
Now with less sodium!

Old May 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM       
XBox Live Gold I believe is still 50 bucks, and silver is no charge, as online is required for all XBox 360 games. However, the Gold account gives you access to a shit-ton of other services.

Not 100% positive that those are accurate prices, but that's what I was told.
Whiter than Alabaster
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM       
xbox live gold costs about £35 a year here, but being the cheap ass i am, i found a copy of PGR2 for xbox1 (which comes with 1 years xbox live gold, game and headset) for £25, and then sold the game and headset on ebay, meaning i got a year of xbox live gold for about £11 :P

Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:04 PM       
BEHOLD, THE POWER OF MATH!!

AND

got these from here www.joystiq.com....