Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM        Dead Space 2
Anybody get it yet? I'm a huge fan of the original and couldn't stop playing the game until I beat it. Everything about the sequel looks great so far and I'm hoping to pick up a copy sometime soon.
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 12:52 AM       
I picked up my Collector's Edition today.
First off, the toy Plasma Cutter it came with is badass. I'll post pics tomorrow; promise.
As far as the game goes, it's just fabulous. It's improved on a lot of aspects; when you buy a new suit, the old one is stored, so you can switch between suits you've bought without paying again.
The gameplay is just as fast and frantic as last time. Probably even more, with the new necromorphs to deal with. Very minor spoiler:
Spoilers!

The little blue line you follow has been improved, since you can switch from objective, to the closest save point, store, or workbench.
So far, the only problem I have with it is it gets too dark too often. I like being plunged into terrifying darkness, but not for 75% of the game.
I haven't beaten it yet (making myself stick at a pace), but so far, I'd give it a 9.5; only took off points for too much dark.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 02:31 AM       
I pre-ordered it, and should be able to collect it soon, but they stuffed up at the store and I missed out on getting the collector edition - which sucks, because I really wanted a plasma cutter.

I loved the first one, and I'm looking forward to this being better.
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 04:15 AM       
I got the PS3-Limited yesterday and thank god, itīs multilingual. Though the german dub of Dead Space 1 is among the best in the industry, I still prefer the original.

I love this game. Itīs got a slightly different atmosphere but the premise itself is terrifying as hell because this time youīre in a heavily populated area. The residential corridors are especially creepy when you hear the brutal screaming of a Necromorph from behind the apartment doors, trying to get out so it can rip you apart.

The little improvements all make sense and I like them a lot:

-the map is gone
-improved locator
-reloading without having to aim
-stasis energy recharges over time (!!!)
-you keep the best suit-stats when switching between suits
-some weapons got an overhaul
-TK improved but no more upgrades for it
-you can respec your weapons and get your Nodes back later on
-TK-attacks are really useful this time

All in all there are a lot of subtle but great improvements. Just the fact that TK and Stasis are now viable additions to your aresenal is really great by itself already.

Thereīs some new enemies too as you all know but the one Sappington mentioned is indeed really creepy.

"Lalala walking through the dark...lalala walki-what? *squints* what the hell is that? *leans forward* is that a-GAH! FUCK! *starts shooting like crazy*"
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 11:30 AM       
Yeah, in the first game, I never bothered with TK unless I tossed the occasional explosive barrel, but in this one, I've been ripping off blades from corpses left and right to save ammo.
Unfortunately, the rivet gun I got for pre-ordering is kind of weak; I only use it for the Swarm, since it's the only gun fast enough to take them out.
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 10:37 PM       
Spoilers!
drifting in the void
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 04:59 AM       
And I see they went and took out the Rivet Gun just to sell it to us for 5 bucks...I´m thinking about it, I want all weapons...not the reskinned ones of course but the R-Gun is a valid choice for my arsenal...
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 01:19 PM       
I wouldn't bother. It tends to make up a nice chunk of ammo drops, and it's not too great for most necro types. It's only really useful for the swarms.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:34 PM       
Worth buying? Or just a rental like the first?
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
Worth buying? Or just a rental like the first?
I'd buy it. There's a bunch more unlockables, and it has multiplayer, but I'm not sure how good it is; I haven't played yet.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 09:23 PM       
What about replayability? After I beat the first one I saw no reason to play again. Multiple endings? Anything?
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 11:34 PM       
I dunno about you, then. I like to keep games I liked, because I'll want to play them again someday. I'll probably play this eight more times.
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 12:04 AM       
Also, here are the photos I promised. Derp.

Here's the Cutter, in all its glory. It's obviously not the most intricate toy, but it's still pretty well designed. Too bad it doesn't turn at a right angle.

The size isn't actually too bad. I didn't expect it to be full-size, but it's big enough that it fits pretty well in my hand.

This fucker is BRIGHT, too! It has three green LEDs, and a regular white one on the side. Being the dork/loser I am, I've been using it as a light when I get up at night; gives you enough light without blinding you, and makes you feel like a badass. If you weren't holding a plastic toy gun, that is.

Obligatory action shot.
Hope you guys enjoyed this a little. Honestly, this alone made the extra $20 worth it for me; I'm a huge Dead Space fan, and this was a really great little toy to give to the fans.
drifting in the void
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 06:54 AM       
Huh, that Cutter really is microscopic...good thing I didn´t get it, I thought it would be way bigger.

Concerning Replay-Value:

Like the first game, it´s about experiencing the game again in NG+ with better guns. That, and there are advanced versions of all suits in NG+ afaik. No new scenes or endings or anything though. Doesn´t really bother me though. I played through DS1 about 4-5 times and I imagine I´ll do the same with DS2 if I can find the time...then again, time is pretty scarce in my life right now...

I´m somewhere in Chapter...11 I think and given the fact that I played and know the first DS pretty well, DS2 is still really great. A very good sequel in terms of continuation. It´s really nice to see how the first game made Isaac what he is now and his immersion in the story helps a lot in bringing that point across.
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 11:51 AM       
Spoilers!
drifting in the void
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 03:47 AM       
And done. Very nice, I think I like this one better than the first, but only in combination with it. The story doesnt work otherwise.

Liked the ending... The very las bit I mean, I thought it was pretty funny
Of course the whole scaryness pretty much goes to hell very quickly but I didnt care, it's a really worthy sequel in one of the best new frqnchises of the last few years.

...fuck, I hate posting with my iPod.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 07:32 AM       
Damn, that cutter is small. Thanks for the photos though; I would have still liked to have gotten one.

The biggest problem I have with this game is that it detaches me from being scared for a lot of the time; I spend too much time knowing that I am not going to get killed or attacked because it's a quicktime movie or some other scenario that I can't attack in so I know I wont have to defend myself.

I noticed the darkness thing too, but I just turned up the brightness and it isn't affecting me.
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 03:38 PM       
Multiplayer is fun as hell. I have a feeling it'll get old fairly quickly, though; hopefully, they'll come out with a bunch new game modes and possibly necromorph classes.
drifting in the void
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:29 AM       
Okay, so I thought buying DS-Ignition might be a good idea. I was wrong. God, those minigames are bad and fucking tedious too. I like the story though the "animation" and art is fucking horrible most of the time...if it weren´t for the acceptable voicework, the whole thing would bother me to no end...like it is...it´s just bad. But whatever, I want the hacker-suit.
Forum Virgin
darkkitten is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:53 AM       
replayibility is great because it comes with new game +
Forum Virgin
darkkitten is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:55 AM       
Im stuck trying to get

Spoilers!

Last edited by Dr. Boogie : Feb 19th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 01:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxBlood View Post
Okay, so I thought buying DS-Ignition might be a good idea. I was wrong. God, those minigames are bad and fucking tedious too. I like the story though the "animation" and art is fucking horrible most of the time...if it werenīt for the acceptable voicework, the whole thing would bother me to no end...like it is...itīs just bad. But whatever, I want the hacker-suit.
i heard that you don't need to beat it

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
drifting in the void
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 03:27 AM       
The thing is, I DO want to finish it for the story and shit but the minigames...oh the minigames...
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkitten View Post
Im stuck trying to get SPOILER ALERT!!!
Spoilers, dude.
I'm still hoping for multiplayer additions. Get to play as a slasher, maybe a checkpoint level blatantly ripping off L4D....

Last edited by Dr. Boogie : Feb 19th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 02:03 PM       
So wait, is there supposed to be a twist or something in the story? Because I've heard from a few people that there was, but I didn't see any up 'til the point I beat it.