Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:11 PM       
Well, I see both sides here. On one hand, being someone who is working to register and mobilize 18-24 yr. old voters, I often encounter people who make me say "Wow, I hope that douche bagel doesn't vote."

However, there is a good bit of research that says ultimately, Americans make rational voting decisions. I think this could be soidly argued. Most who actually go to the polls vote for the two parties. Perhaps they do this because they want to have the guy who promotes at least 25% of their agenda win, rather than voting third party for a gy who promotes 100% of their agenda.

Furtermore, many of those who don't vote do so because they feel too disconnected, to uninformed to cast a proper vote. This could be viewed as a responsible vote on their part.

I dunno, the theory has holes, but there's some credence there. I think some of us, particularly those who like the third party idea, often suffer from a severe case of "majoritarianism." We've thought out what we believe so well, that we can't BELIEVE that EVERYBODY is on the same page!
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:13 PM       
I meant "isn't" on the same page....
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:22 PM       
I'd buy that.

I've told you that I believe most people are libertarian. Like me.

That means either I'm crazy or right.

I'm betting on right, but I know I might be wrong.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!