Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:44 PM        shaking fucking movies causing motion sickness!
Anyone else hate these? or am i the only pussy here?
I understand trying to make a movie seem like a home video, but for fucks sake I dont need the camera attached to a paint shaker the entire damn movie.
I think its bullshit there are now movies I cant physically watch anymore.

Here are some of the movies i can think of.

Blair witch - first i can remember. I watched it on a small screen and dont remember getting sick, but i have a feeling i would now if i saw it on a big screen.

Cloverfield - I had bbq when i went to see it and felt like shit by the time it was over, i did make it though.

Rachel getting married - My friend bet I couldnt make it through this movie(just because it is so terrible) I tried but within 20 minutes i was too motion sick to continue. We both lost the bet.

The Hurt Locker - My friend went to see it and couldn't finish the thing. he said it was good, but it made him too sick. He got his money back.

Add to the list!
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM       
Can you watch Americas Funniest Videos?
Mocker
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM       
I can! as long as the bob sagat segments dont start shaking too it should be ok!

Not to mention despite using 80s camcorders with no image stabilization they are generally still not as shaky as the mentioned movies.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM       
It's like they made a computerized program to decide how much shaking should be in a home movie and then upped two notches just to make sure it is enough. I think the problem is it is strangely unorganic. Like your eyes tell you from experience that when he steps forward on the next step it should go up but it actually goes down.
Mocker

Shyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:19 PM       
I can't deal with any movie with that crap in it. I watched The BlairWitch, but that was becasue it was understandable to how the movie intended.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 12:28 AM       
i never get motion sickness watching movies i remember a friend who had it while i was playing some video games

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 01:56 AM       
I never used to have this kind of problem but I do now. Every movie I've seen on Blu-Ray so far has given me problems too, like the high-definition is fucking with my inner ear equilibrium.

Hopefully DVDs won't become obsolete as Blu-Ray becomes more popular. Can't deal with that shit

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 02:01 AM       
You only say that cause you think Shrub will talk to you.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 02:08 AM       
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 02:15 AM       
Why does she hate Blu-Ray or fall in love with nerds who are so nerdy that they can't even play nerd video games because of nerd motion sickness problems?

Because if so then hot damn

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 02:23 AM       
She gets motion sickness in movie theaters. :likeyoudidn'tknow
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 02:28 AM       
Milhouse if you want me to put in a good with Shrub for you, just assssskkk me buddy.
Mocker
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM       
yea console fps games also make me sick on the pc they generally dont however.

I do think that watching stuff on a large screen with more detail makes it worse so i could see a problem with one of these movies on blu ray.

I never really had a problem till some of these movies started going overboard. I swear Rachel getting Married is shakier than Cloverfield and they were fucking running from monsters.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM       
Yeah didnt like Blair Witch or Cloverfield for their camera jumbling. I didnt get sick, I just plain dont like it. For some reason it doesnt bother me in war movies though.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM       
I have noticed this in pretty much all recent action type movies. They do it so they can give the illusion of action without having to actually film something that would normally give you that feeling.

It really annoys me. A lot of the time I can't get properly immersed in a film because their attempt at making me feel like I am 'actually there', in first person, instead makes me not be able to tell what is going on from TOO MUCH DAMN SHAKINESS.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM       
If this kind of trickery in movies makes you sick, how do you fair on a boat or in a plane?
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 10:26 AM       
I seriously think it's way different because it's artificial. Your eyes and brain pick up on little inconsistencies and it can fuck with your equilibrium.
Salticidae!
b_squared is probably a real personb_squared is probably a real person
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM       
The shaky cam bothers me too. I don't know if it was a shaky cam but the Bourne Identity movies gave me a headache. I also hate the movies/ tv shows which have multiple split screens. First person games can make me a little dizzy even on the PC.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM       
What about Spiderman when he is jamming through the city?
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM       
Shakycam doesn't bother me but that sped-up shit annoys the fuck out of me. I first started really noticing it with the Dawn of the Dead remake zoombies and 28 Days Later, and now they do it all the damn time.

It's like now sped-up film = automatic scary.
Mocker
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM       
there is a big difference between being annoyed and physically ill.

I am generally annoyed by the shaking in action movies and the speeding up thing, but in short doses i don't really get sick. It is when basically the entire movie is like that when it becomes a problem.

I have gotten sick on boats before(planes i generally do ok). As Tado said it is somewhat different. alot of times in boats and cars you sort of know what to expect and can tell where the horizon is going to go, in a movie you dont get that feeling of control. I never get sick driving a car or a boat. It can only happen when riding.

Maybe its just my problem and im pissed i cant do something as simple as watch a fucking movie anymore. I was curious.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM       
Well, I never claimed to have crossed the annoyed-sick barrier. I was just saying that the stuff didn't bother me other than to be annoying.

Who knows, they may be deliberately trying to make people sick. They did that in the French cinema release of Irreversible. I think it was during the first fight scene...they played some sort of sound that was specifically designed to make people feel sick to their stomachs. It's the only instance I've heard of, but who's to say other people aren't getting some sort of kick out of messing with moviegoers that way?
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen is probably a spambot
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 02:38 AM       
Yeah, that's one of my biggest problems with Micheal Bay movies (I seriously couldn't tell what was going on half of the time in Transformers).

Quote:
Blair witch - first i can remember. I watched it on a small screen and dont remember getting sick, but i have a feeling i would now if i saw it on a big screen.
I think Dave Barry said best when he described it as if they strapped a camera to a hyperactive seal's head and had it always pointed at the ground as if the seal were hunting for ants.
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 06:19 AM       
Jesus Christ I could not sit all the way through Irreversible.
teacup of sunshine
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM       
What part of it bothered you?

Most of it didn't get me too badly (unless you watch all the way to the end and realize the full horror of the circumstances).

Spoilers!