Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:47 AM        Weekly Movie Review: Let The Right One In
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: Let The Right One In.
Spiral Out
eric-the-ded is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM       
I hear tell that the American version is changing Eli's name to something less androgynous. "Her" name will be Abby.
Forum Virgin
Aequil is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 08:21 AM       
It's a great movie, and an even better book, although i like his second book, Handling the Undead, more.
Oh, and i just have to mention this: I know the actor who plays the bully's big brother.
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 09:47 AM       
Very nice movie indeed and another one that doesn´t need an american remake

I still remember "Quarantine" which was just REC all over again...just replace the spanish actors with american ones and move the scenario to LA and PRESTO!
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-the-ded View Post
I hear tell that the American version is changing Eli's name to something less androgynous. "Her" name will be Abby.
Didn't take long for them to start missing the point.

I love this movie, moreso than the book. It's haunting and quiet, something to study and watch all at once. And such interesting characters and ways to see them (I prefer how the movie presents Hakan and Eli's relationship than the book, it leaves more to the imagination. I sorta see him as an adult Oskar, which is rather depressing when you think about it). The tender romance feels real, and the blood is effective when it comes (the scene you mention of a vampire entering uninvited is my favorite in the movie). Ending kicks ass as well, and I think it does work (Eli just moves really, really fast).

Also, I can confirm that the good subtitles have been released on DVD. Magnolia, desiring the whole issue to be swept under the rug, just didn't bother to tell anyone about it. Just serch through recent stacks of the DVD at the store, look for the one that says Subtitles: English (Theatrical) instead of just Subtitles: English.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 05:50 PM       
It definitely doesn't need an American remake, no matter how true to the original the director tries to stay. I think that would just ruin it. As for the movie itself, I thought the cinematography was nice as was the acting, but it's not something I would probably bother to watch again. It was just alright (mind you, it was hyped up to me as this jaw-droppingly amazing vampire movie before seeing it). At least it was original though... I'll definitely give it that, which is a lot more than can be said about most movies these days.
The #1 My Little Pony
Just Ami is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM       
Fantastic (maybe it should be fangtastic?) movie. I just bought the book recently, but I haven't had time to read it yet. I'm hoping to get it read sometime in October. I've heard nothing but good things about it...
Forum Virgin
Darren Spooner is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:14 PM       
And just to give Americans some perspective, the winter depicted in this film would be considered one of the more tolerable ones by Swedish standards. Usually they're bitterly cold and covered in mud rather than snow.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM       
I wish I had seen this in a theater. Big screen, quality sound, dark room. There are some movies that lose something when it comes to your living quarters.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM       
Yay for american remakes.