Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 04:29 PM        John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness!
Automatically generated comment thread for John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness!.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM       
For those of you who get Cinemax, they're actually playing John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" (my all-time favorite horror movie) throughout the month. In celebration of this, and the fact that I finally got to see it in a real theater this past week, I went ahead and updated my old article about the movie from like 8 years ago and put it into the new site template so you guys can finally it on here! The Brotherhood of Sleep awaits your comments.
Charming
Dr. V is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM       
This is the best anything.

Also Rog, thanks fore the heads up on Cinemax. Already DVR'd'ed.

Last edited by Mockery : Oct 3rd, 2009 at 05:33 AM. Reason: fixed youtube link
Last of the Time Lords
Doctor_Who is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM       
Love this film. Between Halloween, The Thing and this, Carpenter was truly a Horror Movie king back in the day.

Then he made Memoirs of an Invisible Man and it all went to hell.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:05 AM       
is the moustache guy the same guy from halloween 3?
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 02:03 AM       
I remember that poster hanging just inside the doorway of the video store where my mother worked as a kid. Scared the hell out of me every time I went to go see her.
Forum Virgin
Hanglyman is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM       
Probably the weakest of John Carpenter's films (that I've seen, anyway), but still pretty awesome. The big green cylinder really does look menacing, and the scene where the guy is getting eaten apart by bugs is great. Satan typing in all caps like a 14-year-old forum troll, not so much.

If anyone's interested, I made a terrible song based on samples from this movie, "Conscious Neural Interference", and you can find it here: http://www.myspace.com/thehanglyman
Forum Virgin

salad_days is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM       
Whaaaaaaat?
This is one of Carpenter's best Hanglyman!
One of the few films thats genuinely freaked me out as an adult. I watched it late one night when in the delirium of sickness. Scared the shit out of me. I was also listening to Sonic Youth's 'Confusion is Sex' album a lot back then. 'Protect me you' reminds me of this film. Also freaks me out.
Forum Virgin
Hanglyman is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 08:21 AM       
Well, in explanation of what I said, I found it to be slower-paced than his other films, some of the deaths and special effects seemed more comical than horrific, the characters were pretty shallow and unlikeable so it was hard to feel anything when they got killed, and Satan inconsistently alternates between being a dark, shadowy, unfathomable force and taunting them in a very human, almost childish manner. Probably more than anything, the religious angle just didn't do it for me... the sci-fi alien horror in The Thing and the Lovecraftian story of In the Mouth of Madness were much more compelling to me (although I'll admit, the latter was pretty funny as well).

But don't get me wrong, it was a good movie. A lot scarier than your typical horror movie. In particular, the shots of the other side of the mirror really set my imagination going, thinking of Hell not as a place of fire and brimstone, but just a lonely, lifeless, pitch-dark void. Kelly and Catherine getting banished into that place forever really was scary... even though, as RoG pointed out, Catherine didn't even try to save herself.
Hypnotic Swirling Colors
iforgotthename is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM       
Pizza Face would also make a good band name.
DavidFullam is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 09:53 PM       
Awesome film. Too bad the days of horror films with brains seem to be over.
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM       
I'm quite ashamed how far behind on my Carpenter I am. Still need to see this, Mouth of Madness, The Fog (OK, seen the last half of that one), and whatever it was he did this decade. Better get moving.
EchoCharlie is probably a spambot
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 01:40 AM       
Is that dude with the mustache the guy from Simon & Simon?
Forum Virgin
Cheesoboy is probably a spambot
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 01:45 AM       
Hate to break it to you Relaxing Dragon, but quite frankly you are probably best served by avoiding pretty much anything Carpenter has done since the early 90s at the latest.

After somehow rocking the 80s and before with numerous amazing gems, he just seemed to sputter out IMO:-(

The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, this movie, the Halloween movies, The Fog, and Starman are really his "can't miss" gems. If you like a "so cheesy it's good movie" maybe tack on "They Live."

I haven't seen them in quite awhile, but I truly recall "Vampires" and "Ghosts of Mars" to be less than impressive for one reason or another and I really don't remember too many movies other than these. Maybe my memory serves me wrong on these movies though. I'd love to hear what others think...are there other gems I'm missing?
SPOOOOOOOON!!!
Rufus the Perturbed is probably a spambot
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 04:10 AM       
It's too bad John Carpenter lost his mojo. I rate this and In The Mouth of Madness as his best works (oh, and Big Trouble in Little China, of course, Yay cheese!). I sort of lost track after that, until I saw Vampires a few years ago on some friends' recommendations. Ye gods! How did he go from being so good to so bad? As far as I'm concerned, John Carpenter died in 1990 and has been replaced by one of the things from They Live.
An Arizona Horror Company
Desert_Screams is probably a spambot
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 08:16 PM       
Early Carpenter's stuff is certainly the career-best work....but I've gotta speak up for the under-appreciated VAMPIRES. Most of it is totally ludicrous. You've got a Baldwin in there, that's never a good sign, and what's-her-name from TWIN PEAKS, also usually a sign of suckage to come. But come on: James Woods is in full scenery-chewing mode, and seems to be having such a good time staking the shit out of the undead, that I just can't hate it. (And the hotel-room massacre, where the one that got away comes back to lay waste to Woods' cronies, is a pretty decent gore set-piece.)
testtube is probably a spambot
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 09:40 AM       
John Carpenter is awesome, his movies are not cheesy at all, their dead serious tone is what makes them so fucking awesome. The "hey we know its bad get it?" shit is so overdone, like its a requirment now to have a horror movie. I'd like to see something with an oppressive dark atmosphere that really eats your brain our your eye sockets, like Aguirre The Wrath of God or the movie White Zombie.
Turrican't. :(
Kitsunexus is probably a spambot
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:08 AM       
Isn't this an older article, why has it been reposted? Or am I just tripping? I swear I've read this before, though. 0_o
Turrican't. :(
Kitsunexus is probably a spambot
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:20 AM       
NVM I didn't read ROG's post. I'm stupid like that.

BTW, this is awesome, not as awesome as The Thing but still awesome.
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM       
I don't think i read this one, and I certainly haven't seen the movie. I'm so not using scope now.
Forum Virgin
xstaytruex is probably a spambot
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM       
Im watching the movie right now and I hear the sizzling bacon
Ranting Swede
narcolepticsloth is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM       
I found this at my local Hollywood Video store before they closed down. Got it for two bucks in great condition along with Day of the Dead.
Deadly Towers Survivor
Deadly Towers Sux is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 12:08 AM       
This movie looks creeeeeepy! I just might rent (if not buy) it sometime soon.

Oh, and narcolepticsloth, please tell me you're talking about the kick-ass original Day of the Dead, and not the piece-of-shit remake
Forum Virgin
Marcus is probably a spambot
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM       
Great concept and I loved the movie but unfortunately there was a lack of funding to do what JC wanted to do. At least, that's the rumor.

The god Plutonium thing was a reference to nuclear weapons, I think, because it said it wouldn't save us. I assume it meant that our most powerful weapon would be no use against the anti-god. Again, it's just a guess but it makes sense to me.