Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:20 AM        Weekly Movie Review: The Hurt Locker
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: The Hurt Locker.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM       
I want to see this movie. When James Cameron won whatever recent award he won for Avatar (I think it was a Golden Globe) he said Kathryn Bigelow should have won instead of him. That piqued my interest in this movie.
Forum Virgin
Starscream is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM       
Cameron probably said it cause shes his ex-wife, nothing like getting on your ex-woman's good side.. Maybe he didn't want to look like an ass while going up against her with his huge blockbuster, I just don't know. But frankly she should have won, and should win, awards many awards over him for this movie. Despite different tastes for differing genre Avatar was a puddle of blue mud compared to this movie.

The quick synopsis is a little off though Rog. While it is about what they have to go through day to do, its a little more about how war changes you and makes you something completely different but how that change is hard to let go of when you need to most.

This movie could have just as well been set in a maximum security prison and still told the same story well enough to win or be nominated for the awards its up for. I found myself thinking of what a lot of prisoners say they go through getting out of jail after many years of incarceration. They're afraid, they're tense, they don't know how they're going to integrate back into the "real world" and when they finally get out there they, even subconsciously, find a way right back inside.

The quote at the beginning and how its altered before it fades completely reflects the sentiment and drives the focus of the story. Most people see a quote at the beginning of something and write it off but I found myself referring back to it often and I think that's fairly amazing storytelling when most movies today are more about whats coming next rather then what you've seen even minutes before.
Forum Virgin
Starscream is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 01:26 PM       
I also want to add to what I said that I watched this with my fiance and she felt the most shocking part wasn't necessarily what the Bomb Squad has to go through daily but more so what the people planting the bombs do to their own people on a daily basis.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
I want to see this movie. When James Cameron won whatever recent award he won for Avatar (I think it was a Golden Globe) he said Kathryn Bigelow should have won instead of him. That piqued my interest in this movie.
well he was right
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM       
In defense of the scene of him sneaking out into the night, it was meant to show what a dumb-ass move that would be in real life. He's lucky he didn't get kidnapped or killed (which is even addressed a bit later in the film when he tries it again, with the rest of his squad).

I can't comment on the accuracy very much either, but from what I understand while a lot of the details in the movie are inaccurate for military life, the general tone of the movie is dead-on. Still need to get my Marine buddy to see it to know any better than that, though.

Still, amazing movie either way. Some of the defusing scenes are tense as hell, no doubt. Here's hoping it takes Best Picture on Sunday (since District 9 doesn't have a chance, sadly).
Forum Virgin
ZombieRaper is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:23 PM       
The sniper battle was wicked tense. i kept expecting to see one of them take a bullet to the face.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 08:59 AM       
I must see this. Now.